Buddhist Booze Ban in Bangkok -- what to expect?

FalangTingTong

Hello! I will be released from quarantine straight into Maka Bucha this Friday.  And yet bars are hopefully opening this week.

Question for Bangkokians: how long should I expect the holiday booze ban to last, and how seriously is it likely to be enforced?

Can I ask for a special mojito coffee mug if I find a tourist bar open? Should I just give up?

I'm flying solo and staying at Asoke.  Not looking to party, just chill with a drink or two in the afternoon or evening and watch life unfold after sixteen days of lockup. I can wait until Saturday if need be, but I'd rather not! ????

• Like 1

You will probably find something down in the lower sukumvit area but hey you might be running around until you find one.  I suggest to use google translate if needed and communicate with someone to buy for you prior.

Worse comes to worse, just put your drink in a cup and take it in with you to relax on. But also prepare for when it's empty too! Godspeed.

Oh and don't leave any bad reviews. 555

Edited by Solinvictus

Very confusing, but I was under the impression bars and clubs open 1 March?

Yes. alcohol in restos OK as of 23 Feb.

That's what I read into the dozen or so official pronouncements.

But things might have changed a few times in the last few days.

Of course you can buy in shops, during allowed sales times.

On 2/23/2021 at 11:26 AM, FalangTingTong said:

Hello! I will be released from quarantine straight into Maka Bucha this Friday.  And yet bars are hopefully opening this week.

Question for Bangkokians: how long should I expect the holiday booze ban to last, and how seriously is it likely to be enforced?

Can I ask for a special mojito coffee mug if I find a tourist bar open? Should I just give up?

I'm flying solo and staying at Asoke.  Not looking to party, just chill with a drink or two in the afternoon or evening and watch life unfold after sixteen days of lockup. I can wait until Saturday if need be, but I'd rather not! ????

Skvit soi 5 poors the beers in coffee mugs.. Enjoy

3 hours ago, FalangTingTong said:

Thank you all for the tips.  Unless I stumble upon some entrepreneurial activity, I think I'm gonna just tough it out.  More brain cells left to kill on Saturday that way!

Call your hotel/apartment building manager where you're going to stay and ask them to buy you some booze tonight and put it in your room fridge, for the appropriate tip of course. So when you get home you can celebrate your freedom! 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp

Update for posterity: there were four beers in the minibar and the hotel would have let me order more (of presumably whatever) to the room had I wanted.  All other sales were prohibited.  I didn't try any bars/restaurants because I stayed in to watch the fights from Singapore anyway.

• Thanks 1