Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Breathable safety riding gear


Recommended Posts

Well the breathable riding gear I brought from the states is finally wearing out and due to Covid I will not be traveling back anytime soon to acquire a new set. I am looking to find a breathable jacket with all the safety impact gear here in Thailand.  Anybody have any recommendations or contacts?  I did a little web search and found one but would like to hear from the riders here that have this gear. I know there are shops that have them but do not list them so only folks that have been to the shops know.

 

Thanks in advance

Link to post
Share on other sites

Panda Rider (Kaset Nawamin area of Bangkok) sell Rev’it gear - they have some decent vented riding gear... 

Paddock also has stock of riding gear, much of it vented material.

 

i.e. Such as the Airwave II jacket, vented riding pants etc....   Size / stock could be limited, but definitely worth a visit if you are looking for decent riding kit. 

 

http://www.pandarider.com/Revit/RevitProductsTextileJackets.html

 

 

 

Screenshot 2021-02-23 at 07.40.58.png

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Papa al. I saw a Brand called Herobiker on Lazada that looks good as well. All mesh. hope others have some suggestions as well. The hot season is coming. Being able to have Mesh makes riding a lot more comfy.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife picked up the Rev'it Tornado 2 pants and jacket recently from Panda Rider.  The jacket has a lot of mesh with solid textile where it counts.  Same for the pants. Both flow a lot of air.

 

image.png.36ae33fc32d1bcfbdb07f513a6242249.png

 

Finding breathable boots for her was the biggest challenge.  Those we should have bought in the states.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with what was recommended before: Rev'it, probably the best value for money here in Thailand.

They offer are a few different mesh style models, the cheapest one is "Eclipse".

Link to post
Share on other sites

Where are you Jafo. Can you jump in a taxi? Dirt Shop has a few jackets. Mine is Spidi (spelling) I think 6500 baht.

Edited by VocalNeal
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

Where are you Jafo. Can you jump in a taxi?

 

I can. You have a destination in mind?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, pseudorabies said:

My wife picked up the Rev'it Tornado 2 pants and jacket recently from Panda Rider.  The jacket has a lot of mesh with solid textile where it counts.  Same for the pants. Both flow a lot of air.

 

image.png.36ae33fc32d1bcfbdb07f513a6242249.png

 

Finding breathable boots for her was the biggest challenge.  Those we should have bought in the states.

looks good

but how are these for sizing

i wear XXXL shirts here Thai sizes, so any idea what size i would need to order ?

would prefer a loose fit, so cooler ?

Thanks

Edited by Joinaman
misspell
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

looks good

but how are these for sizing

i wear XXXL shirts here Thai sizes, so any idea what size i would need to order ?

would prefer a loose fit, so cooler ?

Thanks

 

Definitely try on...  

 

I have the Rev’it Jacket and Pants (Airwave) - purchased online in the UK. 

I had to sent them both back and swap out for a difference size. I also had the same with a pair of Kevlar jeans. 

That was after lots of research on fit etc, got the tape measure out... I still got it wrong (I can’t remember if I originally sized too large or small) 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JAFO said:

I had one of those, and the bottoms to go with it. Bought in USA and put in my suitcase.

After about 3 years, I returned from work, got them out of storage, and the armor just crumbled.

Emailed Bohn, with description of what happened and pics, they said they would give me 10% off replacements.

My reply was why would I buy replacements if the same thing will happen ?

They were stored inside, never in the sun, never near harsh chemicals

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, canthai55 said:

I had one of those, and the bottoms to go with it. Bought in USA and put in my suitcase.

After about 3 years, I returned from work, got them out of storage, and the armor just crumbled.

Emailed Bohn, with description of what happened and pics, they said they would give me 10% off replacements.

My reply was why would I buy replacements if the same thing will happen ?

They were stored inside, never in the sun, never near harsh chemicals

I love mine and have had them for about 4 years and my shoulder inserts just cracked which is why I began my search asking you folks. Its a shame if they haven't improved the material for better longevity. It has been, by far, the best riding jacket I have had here. While some here look nice, they are just to darn heavy and do not breath at all and by the time you stop you are burning up and shedding your clothes which makes riding uncomfortable. 

 

I did contact them yesterday. I will see what they say.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, pseudorabies said:

My wife picked up the Rev'it Tornado 2 pants and jacket recently from Panda Rider.  The jacket has a lot of mesh with solid textile where it counts.  Same for the pants. Both flow a lot of air.

 

image.png.36ae33fc32d1bcfbdb07f513a6242249.png

 

Finding breathable boots for her was the biggest challenge.  Those we should have bought in the states.

 

Can you remove the inner liner? I was on their website and its says you can but no pictures. Also do they have impact textile in the forearms, back and shoulders?  Again from their website, I just cannot tell. 

 

Overall they look well made and may be my only option being I cannot travel back to the states for the near term...

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, JAFO said:

 

Can you remove the inner liner? I was on their website and its says you can but no pictures. Also do they have impact textile in the forearms, back and shoulders?  Again from their website, I just cannot tell. 

 

Overall they look well made and may be my only option being I cannot travel back to the states for the near term...

There are two liners - one that is waterproof (goretex or something similar) and an insulated liner, a vest IIRC.  You can wear the jacket with both, either or neither.

As you said Revit gear is well made. I've had my Revit jacket (below the new jacket in the photo) for about 7 years now and its held up to daily commuting relatively well. There are little nits like velcro not being as sticky over time and waist straps that have to be re-tightened every couple of rides but I think these are minor issues.

It's worth mentioning that her jacket did NOT come with a back protector (I think it was a soft foam pad that was included).  We bought a CE rated protector for an additional 1500 THB.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, pseudorabies said:

There are two liners - one that is waterproof (goretex or something similar) and an insulated liner, a vest IIRC.  You can wear the jacket with both, either or neither.

As you said Revit gear is well made. I've had my Revit jacket (below the new jacket in the photo) for about 7 years now and its held up to daily commuting relatively well. There are little nits like velcro not being as sticky over time and waist straps that have to be re-tightened every couple of rides but I think these are minor issues.

It's worth mentioning that her jacket did NOT come with a back protector (I think it was a soft foam pad that was included).  We bought a CE rated protector for an additional 1500 THB.

 

Thanks for the great feedback. Appreciate it.  Looking now to order. 

 

9 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Most injuries are hands, arms, knees

I always leave the back protector in, never a problem. I definitely want the forearm protectors.  I liked the Bohn Armor as it had shoulder just in case you have to tumble.

 

I have Alpinestar gloves with all the High impact Kevlar at the knuckles and wrist bone. Hands always take the big hit in the event of an accident. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JAFO said:

 

Can you remove the inner liner? I was on their website and its says you can but no pictures. Also do they have impact textile in the forearms, back and shoulders?  Again from their website, I just cannot tell. 

 

Overall they look well made and may be my only option being I cannot travel back to the states for the near term...

 

I have the Rev’it Air-wave II (the Air-wave III model is now available).

 

It has Shoulder and elbow armour (which can be removed) - there is no liner, its a ‘warm / hot’ weather jacket only. 

 

I also have a back protector which fits to the Jacket. 

 

In reality, any jacket is hot in Thailand, especially in the city, no matter how much air-flow it allows.

 

Revzilla is a good resource for reviews on kit. 

 

Wearing one simply depends on your risk-profile - I don’t ride without the jacket - there is just simply too much to loose as a result of even a small ‘off’ (i.e. can’t go to work etc), thus, while riding is a risk I shouldn’t take, riding without gear is a risk I won’t take. 

 

 

12 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Always take the chest and back armor out - too warm with it in as block airflow.

Most injuries are hands, arms, knees.

Wear these -

https://www.watsongloves.com/products/1051-the-breakdown/

 

 

That does aid airflow, however, one of the key areas to protect after the head is the spine - thus, as above, I add the back protector to the jacket. 

 

 

Screenshot 2021-02-24 at 08.27.34.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, JAFO said:

 

Thanks for the great feedback. Appreciate it.  Looking now to order. 

 

I always leave the back protector in, never a problem. I definitely want the forearm protectors.  I liked the Bohn Armor as it had shoulder just in case you have to tumble.

 

I have Alpinestar gloves with all the High impact Kevlar at the knuckles and wrist bone. Hands always take the big hit in the event of an accident. 

Feet too especially at higher speeds. One of the reasons good, proper fitting tall boots are important.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don’t ride without the jacket

 

I agree 100%. I never ride without my jacket, gloves and helmet without exception. I never did in the states either. Watched too many buddies take even slow speed falls and have serious skin road rash damage all of which could have been significantly reduced to probably only bruises but with a T Shirt and no gloves, forget it..

 

I do not live in BKK or any big city. All my riding is open windy mountain roads which pose its own set of dangers from tractors, cows, slow old pick up trucks, scooters with side cars driven by old farm folks and the occasional Elephant ( Funny to type that)

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2021 at 6:55 AM, canthai55 said:

I had one of those, and the bottoms to go with it. Bought in USA and put in my suitcase.

After about 3 years, I returned from work, got them out of storage, and the armor just crumbled.

Emailed Bohn, with description of what happened and pics, they said they would give me 10% off replacements.

My reply was why would I buy replacements if the same thing will happen ?

They were stored inside, never in the sun, never near harsh chemicals

Wanted to update on this. So I called Bohn and spoke with them. They said that virtually all customers in Thailand and SE Asia) have their inserts go bad around 3 years. They said in the US they tell folks to replace at 5 years as they do degrade and do not offer CE 1 protection( Just like motorcycle helmets). Thailand is clearly climate unique in many regards as I have had shoes and other textile type products just fall apart. So after some discussion I just purchased the new inserts as it was far cheaper then a new jacket and if I have to replace once every 3 years its OK. Total bill including shipping was about $75 (~2250 bht). Should have in a week or so

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the update.

Bohn has their collective heads inserted if they blame geography. If they change their formula for the pads they will last.

My Alpinestar boots lasted well over 10 years - no leather in them at all.

Just a con job - Bohn garbage.

Many manufacturers make armor - and they last.

Bean counters strike again - vote with your wallet

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, canthai55 said:

Bohn has their collective heads inserted if they blame geography.

 

Actually they did not blame anybody, just spoke the facts about varying climates. I have been here many years and have had tennis shoes, a perfectly good set of Danner hiking boots,  rubber inserts and a pair of Komine motorcycle gloves literally just fall apart. I also had my Trek bicycle helmet just become basically dust. I have also met many guys who have experienced similar stuff fall apart here in Thailand and we laugh about it. So why Yes I guess they could potentially investigate different materials that might withstand the climate,  but how big is the market here?  I know many riders who have had their gear from Bohn for years. Same sets I have. I found about Bohn from those riders.

 

Anyway, no harm, no foul. I am OK with the inserts coming to replace the ones that just got old. I will be good for another 3 years or so 🙂

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2021 at 11:41 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Panda Rider (Kaset Nawamin area of Bangkok) sell Rev’it gear - they have some decent vented riding gear... 

Paddock also has stock of riding gear, much of it vented material.

 

i.e. Such as the Airwave II jacket, vented riding pants etc....   Size / stock could be limited, but definitely worth a visit if you are looking for decent riding kit. 

 

http://www.pandarider.com/Revit/RevitProductsTextileJackets.html

 

 

 

Screenshot 2021-02-23 at 07.40.58.png

plus 1 on Panda Rider, great selection and lots of sizes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...