Looking for English speaking Dentist in Chiang Mai reasonable costs

ajnamoon

Hi There 

Does anyone know of any good reliable English speaking dentist  in Chiang Mai 

Looking for Denture Reline  or Replacement      What costs  ??

Are there any Denture Repair  Labs in Chiang Mai    open to the Public if so Where        ?????

Thanks 

Just now, Dante99 said:

30 years, many dentists, none really fluent but most enough to get it done.

From among the main dentists recommended on this forum? I'm surprised.

I am aware that there are lots of dentists focused on the Thai market. My partner originally brought me to the one she uses but she had no English and, for some reason, I was unable to get an answer to an important question asked via my partner (who is a native Thai and a fluent English speaker).

So, I searched on this forum and discovered about a dozen practices that specialize in serving expats and tourists. They charge a premium but speak fluent English. I might have guessed that I would opt for the cheapest possible option but, actually, I realized that good English was so important that it was worth paying the extra.

When I lived in Chiang Mai last year I used Dr. Joy at Elite Smile Dental Clinic (next to Pantip Plaza). Their website is http://www.elitesmiledentalclinic.com/

For me, they replaced a porcelain veneer that got cracked and did a perfect job of it.  They provide full dental services, are very good dentists.  They are friendly and completely fluent in English.  Prices are fair; not the lowest I suppose, but when it comes to dental care, the lowest price is not always the best option.  Personally, I'd recommend them highly.

5 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

When I lived in Chiang Mai last year I used Dr. Joy at Elite Smile Dental Clinic (next to Pantip Plaza).

Yes, good place but one of the guys there has a reputation for suggesting unnecessary work. Best to ask for a specific dentist and that is why reading the threads is so useful.

• Like 1

Already  connected with 2 dentists  one kept changing my appointment times to morning .when i stated can only do afternoons   other second appointment waited half hour no dentist 

Are there any Denture Repair Labs in Chiang Mai  open to public   as they have in UK 

Denture reline   price  or replacement ???     my enquiry relating to Dentures 

Looking for people who have had personal experience 

Thanks 

My advice would simply be to do a Google Maps search for the term "dentures" (also "dental labs" in Chiang Mai to:

• Identify dentists or labs who use the keyword "dentures" in their listing and thus do a lot of that kind of work.
  • To see how many positive reviews they have.  Google Maps is an excellent source of pretty trustworthy reviews!
  • Doing a regular web search is usually a waste of time since it's cluttered with sponsored ads, listings of no interest to you, and listings from everywhere, not just Chiang Mai.

Then just start calling the ones who sound promising on the phone to determine:

• If they are fluent in English, and thus cater to foreigners.
  • If they will just give you a price range over the phone for your needs (most goods ones will probably do that).

That's how I ended up finding an excellent dentist here in Jomtien where I live now, who I've been very happy with.

Remember this is Thailand, not the UK.  You have to do a little work to get reliable answers like this.

As for costs, I saw this listed for one of the dentists listed there (but they have no reviews):

1882787344_snapshot_2021-02-24at11_01_09AM.jpg.7e1639ad167b34a3406322e43bf2d5b6.jpg

http://whitedentalcliniccm.com/en/service.php

Good Luck ????

Edited by WaveHunter

22 hours ago, donnacha said:

Yes, good place but one of the guys there has a reputation for suggesting unnecessary work. Best to ask for a specific dentist and that is why reading the threads is so useful.

Dr. Joy is a wonderful dentist.  She is honest and gives you unbiased options.  The clinic as a whole has an excellent reputation with foreigners as evidenced by the Google Maps listing ratings from people who have used them.

(https://goo.gl/maps/fQRtCvE3JbeKi7F57)

Google Maps is an excellent way to quickly and reliably get an A-list of good vendors for just about everything here in Thailand that's of interest to a foreigner.  That's how I found Elite Smile, and in particular Dr. Joy.

Edited by WaveHunter

my mate Terry is still doing a bit of dentistry on the side up there.

Used to know him from bootle docks back in the day,

speaks decent english when he's not rat a*sed.

you want his number?

Edited by WineOh
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Google Maps is an excellent way to quickly and reliably get an A-list of good vendors for just about everything here in Thailand that's of interest to a foreigner.

I do use Google to quickly check the rating of a restaurant. The only problem is that the ratings and overall impression can often be skewed by fake reviews, either from Google's own user reviews or the many other sources they pull from. Online review manipulation is a huge industry, and practically every restaurant and hotel owner will ask his friends and staff to tip the balance.

For something more complicated, such as choosing a dentist or finding a good mechanic, I prefer to research a little more deeply and read a few forum threads. In general, the opinions expressed are by members genuinely trying to share good advice. Some opinions may be biased, but there is no industrial-scale manipulation. Someone praising a particular dentist will generally go into detail on what aspects of their treatment they found good. You can quickly tell when a review is genuine, and whether the reviewer's priorities match your own.

Edited by donnacha

1 hour ago, donnacha said:

I do use Google to quickly check the rating of a restaurant. The only problem is that the ratings and overall impression can often be skewed by fake reviews, either from Google's own user reviews or the many other sources they pull from. Online review manipulation is a huge industry, and practically every restaurant and hotel owner will ask his friends and staff to tip the balance.

For something more complicated, such as choosing a dentist or finding a good mechanic, I prefer to research a little more deeply and read a few forum threads. In general, the opinions expressed are by members genuinely trying to share good advice. Some opinions may be biased, but there is no industrial-scale manipulation. Someone praising a particular dentist will generally go into detail on what aspects of their treatment they found good. You can quickly tell when a review is genuine, and whether the reviewer's priorities match your own.

Well there's some truth to what you say but you can usually spot a phony review on Google Maps (IMO) just by the wording of the review.  More importantly though, it's a good starting point to quickly rule out a clinic with no reviews at all, and focus on the ones with reviews from English speaking people.  Google actually does police the reviews too. 

So, with dentists for instance, you can quickly come up with an A-list of perhaps 5 or 10 dentists (by the specific dentist's name) to follow up with, on ThaiVisa for instance.

The trouble with starting a search on ThaiVisa is that threads often go completely off-topic and can be incredibly biased as much as any other source.

What's more, you have to wade through threads full of troll-like posts that can make the thread dozens of pages long and full of off-topic nonsense.

Worst yet, ThaiVisa, I'm sorry to say, contains a lot of members who think they are legends of wit, cluttering the thread with what they believe are clever little one-liners usually designed purely to get emoticon responses. 

And finally, ThaiVisa forums has a horrible search engine if you are looking for a specific topic keyword.

Let's say you are specifically looking for posts on Dr. Joy, for instance.  If you type that into the ThaiVisa search engine, you'll get maybe 3 results.  If you type it into Google Search, you'll get 30-40 results, all of them relevant:

From the Google Search page, do it like this:  "Dr. Joy" site:forum.thaivisa.com"

It saves a lot of time since it eliminates posts that do not have your specific keywords in it, but find many posts that ThaiVisa's search can not.  You can also filter by date, eliminating extremely old posts that might no longer be relevant.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, ajnamoon said:

Already  connected with 2 dentists  one kept changing my appointment times to morning .when i stated can only do afternoons   other second appointment waited half hour no dentist 

Are there any Denture Repair Labs in Chiang Mai  open to public   as they have in UK 

Denture reline   price  or replacement ???     my enquiry relating to Dentures 

Looking for people who have had personal experience 

Thanks 

Used Grace Dental for years and never ever a problem like that.

13 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Worst yet, ThaiVisa, I'm sorry to say, contains a lot of members who think they are legends of wit, cluttering the thread with what they believe are clever little one-liners usually designed purely to get emoticon responses. 

TVF also contains a lot of members that IMO like to criticize other posters rather than post something on topic.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

TVF also contains a lot of members that IMO like to criticize other posters rather than post something on topic.

LOL...That's what I meant by "troll like".  I've never seen that to such a degree as on TVF.  IMO, there are a lot of bored and unhappy people on TVF if they derive pleasure from derailing a thread with such nonsense...but there DOES seem to be an effort lately by moderators to police this sort of behavior, thankfully!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Used Grace Dental for years and never ever a problem like that.

I heard good things about them too.  I think it would have been my second choice if I hadn't decided on Elite Smile.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

Just now, WaveHunter said:

LOL...That's what I meant by "troll like".  I've never seen that to such a degree as on TVF.  IMO, there are a lot of bored and unhappy people on TVF if they derive pleasure from derailing a thread with such nonsense...but there DOES seem to be an effort lately by moderators to police this sort of behavior, thankfully!

LOL. Perhaps you don't realise that many TVF posters are retired, bored and have all day to go looking for people to attack.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Elite Smile has been mentioned here but they are no longer in Pantip Plaza and I'm pretty sure no longer called Elite.

The practice has relocated around the corner 100 yards to the right on Sridonchai. They are now in a shophouse but can't vouch for which dentists still practice there. Try 086 428 0342 for details.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mahseer said:

Elite Smile has been mentioned here but they are no longer in Pantip Plaza and I'm pretty sure no longer called Elite.

The practice has relocated around the corner 100 yards to the right on Sridonchai. They are now in a shophouse but can't vouch for which dentists still practice there. Try 086 428 0342 for details.

Their website still lists them as Elite Smile and at the same address, and the most recent review for them on Google Maps was 3 months ago so if they did move it must have occured since then.  Of course, anything is possible now due to Covid-19.

Edited by WaveHunter

26 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

Their website still lists them as Elite Smile and at the same address, and the most recent review for them on Google Maps was 3 months ago so if they did move it must have occured since then.  Of course, anything is possible now due to Covid-19.

They closed early Jan at Pantip and have been open at location given since around the 10th of this month

On 2/23/2021 at 1:09 PM, WaveHunter said:

When I lived in Chiang Mai last year I used Dr. Joy at Elite Smile Dental Clinic (next to Pantip Plaza). Their website is http://www.elitesmiledentalclinic.com/

For me, they replaced a porcelain veneer that got cracked and did a perfect job of it.  They provide full dental services, are very good dentists.  They are friendly and completely fluent in English.  Prices are fair; not the lowest I suppose, but when it comes to dental care, the lowest price is not always the best option.  Personally, I'd recommend them highly.

Elite is gone. They did not survive the lack of business due to Covid-19 and closed on 31/12/2020. Some of the dentists are opening a new clinic nearby. Not sure when they will re-open.

On 2/27/2021 at 1:08 AM, elektrified said:

Are they open? I passed by a few days ago and it was still under construction.

Elite is now open the other side of small klong from Gekko garden. Just made appt. Dr Joy and Dr Min still there, and all my records from last location 

• Like 2

On 3/2/2021 at 2:12 PM, beau thai said:

Elite is now open the other side of small klong from Gekko garden. Just made appt. Dr Joy and Dr Min still there, and all my records from last location 

So had my deep clean appointment today with Dr Min at new Dental Studio ex Elite. Same staff, same dentists, new kit. Can't pretend 35 minutes deep clean was fun but she did a great job.