Best way to deal with dogs threatening while biking?

sagra

I take a long bike rides every day on some rural roads and through local villages. What is the consensus on the top 2 or 3 ways to repel or scare off dogs that are chasing and threatening you? Thanks for any suggestions offered.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

I just get off the bike, sometimes until they calm down. Inconvenient of course. But once they are familiar with you, the nuisance with that pack should stop. But I'm a dog person, so I don't have any fear.

first i would take a look and assess if they look serious .   a good look tells me most are not really aggressive ,  but the more the worrier .   just takes one bad one to encourage the others.

I do not try to outrun,  but will yell   Pai, glap bahn     that stops them   haha   

Keep a steady pace ,  don't go all crazy..... but if they persist and you think you might get bit than i

do stop, put the bike between us,  and get my stick ready if really necessary.  

If same route often  they will know you,   but going into unfamiliar territory does bring the dog or dogs out .     

MARR DEE !

MARR DEE !!!

”Dog good”

in a rural area, a farang screaming marr dee normally gets the owners attention, it’s worked for me a few times.

The dogs are usually a bit perplexed and hold back as well ????

Edited by HighPriority
Addition
  • Like 1

I frequently go for long runs before dawn and have experience with these dogs. 

They become less aggressive after they have seen you a few times. Some of them (alpha dogs) are still looking for an opportunity to take a bite out of your leg all the same. Not knowing what they have in mind is the aggravating part. The one time I got bitten, it was a bitch with pups... I told the owner, showed the blood, bitch disappeared prompto. 

In the past, I took a squeezy bottle loaded with vinegar... as soon as they just SAW this they disappeared.

I discovered that shining my headlamp directly into their eyes was a deterrence, planning on buying a powerful version in order to do a good job of that.

I try to go on the other side of the road from where the dogs consider to be their territory, helps a little. 

Only some of this is applicable to bike riding I guess.... I take a stick sometimes also, depends on whether it's a new route or not.

I won't tell the story about being chased by a ghost which worried me less than the dog stories, that's for another bar stool.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, shdmn said:

Maybe try spray them with water mixed with vinegar or rubbing alcohol.  If that doesn't work then pepper spray should do the trick.

If necessary, these measures at least will not harm the animals. 

1 hour ago, wombat said:

Take some dog treats/biscuits with you and feed them.

Have you never heard the phrase never bite the hand that feeds?

It really is that easy.

Works nine out of ten times. Best first attempt. After that several other minimal efforts listed in this thread will work. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, shdmn said:

Maybe try spray them with water mixed with vinegar or rubbing alcohol.  If that doesn't work then pepper spray should do the trick.

If you are a cyclist and actually riding a bike, this is not a practical solution. Is one holding a bottle? Which hand will you have it in? My experience is that dogs will suddenly appear from either side and anything you may have in your hand might be too late to do anything to alleviate the situation.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Yesterday this happen to me att closed to a Temple. I pass, this area, many times but yesterday around 17.00 it was about 15 dogs and I came with a high speed....every dog start barking and one dog, almost bite my leg...ooo I got a little scratch....no blood.... I try to get away as fast as I could. One car stopped and a man saw my situation.....start shouting....jissus I was scared.....but I got away. Some advise here said stop and talk calm with the dogs. <deleted>. Never in my life I will stopp when 15 dogs attack me. Before it use to be maybe , 4-5 dogs in front of that Temple but now it was so many. 

I had problem some times before. Always in front of the Temples. Many dog have meeting there and maybe wait for food. In the future i think best advice from people in this forum, is water and vineager. Maybe I will try. I hate dogs.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

The soi dogs are always hungry . Just carry some dry dog food in a small container , when they start chasing you , throw a handful to them . they will be too busy to pick that up to further annoy you ... and , if you take the same route often , after a while they recognize you and you will get tail wagging instead of barking when they spot you .

• Thanks 1