Best way to deal with dogs threatening while biking?

sagra

18 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

You need to step back a little. We don't all have the same state of mind. Your state of mind has dominion over your responses. 

I like to explore. So I will deliberately walk into communities where there are no foreigners to get a feel for life there. The communal dogs can come out in force. So I know something about having many dogs barking and threatening etc

But I don't panic. I show them that I am friend. Alpha always stays back and observes. Perhaps a puppy or younger dog will come closer to investigate. You allow them to do their thing whilst making reassuring noises. Don't try to touch them. Once the Alpha sees that you are no threat he will wonder off and the pack with him. There is often one lone dog that wants to keep up the noise, but the rest just ignore and get on with their lives.

Very rare that an Alpha will attack. They fight each other and are usually sensible enough to know their limitations.

Of course if you are aggressive and panicking, they might coordinate an attack. 

You state that you have had dogs all of your life, but you don't seem to understand them. Dogs and humans work together; of that there is no doubt. You just need to know how to behave around them, so that they understand what to do. 

Of course there are those who don't have warm human contact. Don't show fear, show compassion. They know.; even if they are afraid. Gain their trust. Life is richer when you don't see life around you as a negative.

I've met some super intelligent dogs in Thailand. They know. One dog at my local market would just come over to nuzzle and rest his head on my leg. I would have to sneak to the market quietly if I was busy and didn't have time to spend with him.

We just see life differently. If you had my experiences you might feel differently. But I won't say that you are wrong because it's genuinely the way that you feel.

I hope that you can have some positive experiences.

Have you been watching a lot of 'The Dog Whisperer' this week?

Think you are giving the dogs too much credit for intelligence and you are talking about well socialized well adjusted dogs. 

Often the ones you meet here have been conditioned to be aggressive to people from being kicked or having objects thrown at them out of the blue. 

2 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

Have you been watching a lot of 'The Dog Whisperer' this week?

Think you are giving the dogs too much credit for intelligence and you are talking about well socialized well adjusted dogs. 

Often the ones you meet here have been conditioned to be aggressive to people from being kicked or having objects thrown at them out of the blue. 

You only expose your own state of mind when you write such things. I did not arrive here yesterday. I've been here on and off since 1992. How about you?

So I know something about the dogs here. In fact on my very first visit in 1992 I tended to a dog with a wound all the way to the bone. Even though I had a nurse(just passing and offered to assist) assist in holding it's head since I knew nothing about the dog it made no attempt to struggle nor bite.

On at least two occasions on different islands, a larger dog tackled another dog that ran at me, before it could even get to me. 

The only time I have been bitten, is by puppies biting my ankles. So that is twice in nearly twenty nine years. Just playful.

I have so many amazing stories; but you won't ever experience such things as you have set yourself up to believe whatever you believe. 

The same dogs that caress me with their faces, might bark at you if you approached in the middle of the night. So you might think them dangerous. But I know them as a family and see their personalities and their struggles through life. Helping them takes some of the strain away from their lives and allows them to relax and enjoy life a bit more. Like you and me. They aren't that different. They love me much.

Then there are dogs that I don't feed that love me the same. They might not need food but the love the company, the fun...

But again, just because you see it differently doesn't mean that you are wrong. You just see it differently. 

Some who is afraid of heights won't appreciate a parachute jump. They would think it dangerous and anyone who wanted to do it crazy. But does it mean that parachute jumping is wrong?

We all have differing perspectives. Problems arise when one person insists that his perspective is the only one that is valid.

If you haven't had the amount of positive experiences that I have had, then it is no surprise that you don't have the same outlook. I won't judge you unfairly for that.

But you generalise somewhat about the dogs. There is always going to be crazy dogs, just like there are crazy people. But we don't talk about putting all humans down unless they have a home.

There must be a better solution than killing our friends.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

You only expose your own state of mind when you write such things. I did not arrive here yesterday. I've been here on and off since 1992. How about you?

So I know something about the dogs here. In fact on my very first visit in 1992 I tended to a dog with a wound all the way to the bone. Even though I had a nurse(just passing and offered to assist) assist in holding it's head since I knew nothing about the dog it made no attempt to struggle nor bite.

On at least two occasions on different islands, a larger dog tackled another dog that ran at me, before it could even get to me. 

The only time I have been bitten, is by puppies biting my ankles. So that is twice in nearly twenty nine years. Just playful.

I have so many amazing stories; but you won't ever experience such things as you have set yourself up to believe whatever you believe. 

The same dogs that caress me with their faces, might bark at you if you approached in the middle of the night. So you might think them dangerous. But I know them as a family and see their personalities and their struggles through life. Helping them takes some of the strain away from their lives and allows them to relax and enjoy life a bit more. Like you and me. They aren't that different. They love me much.

Then there are dogs that I don't feed that love me the same. They might not need food but the love the company, the fun...

But again, just because you see it differently doesn't mean that you are wrong. You just see it differently. 

Some who is afraid of heights won't appreciate a parachute jump. They would think it dangerous and anyone who wanted to do it crazy. But does it mean that parachute jumping is wrong?

We all have differing perspectives. Problems arise when one person insists that his perspective is the only one that is valid.

If you haven't had the amount of positive experiences that I have had, then it is no surprise that you don't have the same outlook. I won't judge you unfairly for that.

But you generalise somewhat about the dogs. There is always going to be crazy dogs, just like there are crazy people. But we don't talk about putting all humans down unless they have a home.

There must be a better solution than killing our friends.

Put all that in your Disney heart warming children's dog movie.????

On 2/24/2021 at 11:20 AM, JAFO said:

Get a flashlight that has a voltage stun gun in the bezel. Trust me, that crackling noise makes them run away. A few times by and they associate your smell with that sound and do not mess with you.

Are these legal in Thailand, and if so, where can I get one?

I thought the police could prosecute the owners of dogs being allowed to roam, causing distress, disease and accidents?  They can in civilised countries and owners are forced to have insurance. 

I don't have a bike but a car and steel myself not to swerve if a dog runs into my path.  I watched in horror on Pattaya Railway road as three dogs attacked & brought down a motor cyclist.  All had a female owner who allows them to 'play' on this busy stretch.

5 hours ago, NumbNut said:

Are these legal in Thailand, and if so, where can I get one?

They are available at the big weekend market in BKK. I have seen them on Shoppee as well I believe. I cannot speak on them being legal or not. No idea. Its not a weapon per say, Its just a flashlight as I see it.  I love mine and it works outstanding. I have only had to fire off the stun bezel a few times and the dog that used to bother me now steers completely away from me. 

On 2/24/2021 at 5:51 PM, Eindhoven said:

I choose to not.

Dog lovers don't carry sticks or large stones. You are afraid. Fear is not love.

Conquer your fears instead of advocating murder because of them.

hard to conquer anything with their teeth in the back of your legs ..please come join the world Sir....