UK Pound v Thai Baht and other currencies

Yes, GB pound up, Why? Because Brexit UNCERTAINTY is over (deal, no deal, what actually was affected). The negative impacts of Brexit were factored in 4 years ago, and very little has changed on that front. I think the first quarterly trade figures will be shocking and will have a negative effect, so expect pound to go down late March- April time.

Other positives - successful vaccination campaign, political chaos in USA (that will wear off soon) and slowly improved trade as the year goes on as exporters come to grips with the new regulations. 45 baht to the pound is still a fantasy this year, expect a rollercoaster between 40-43 as the various effects come and go.

Finally, inflation will go up this year in UK due to higher import/export costs. That may impact on exchange rates later on.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tapster said:

neither economy has recently experienced anything that one could call an upturn. 

Sure, but everything is  measured purely by comparison with the mega US economy.  In this sense there have been (rumours of) upturns. 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Now renamed 'Wise'.

It's very shady when a company uses such a generic word for their name like this.

It achieves only one thing - it makes searching for webpages where they're mentioned much harder.

I've only came across this once before and the company was an out and out fraud with a name so very generic it was almost impossible to find much on them.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

Isn't it strange how the passage of time changes people's perspectives, I remember how just after the Brexit vote the GBP tanked, and as it sank so did my heart, when it got down to about 38 I was more than a little concerned as to just how low it could go, nowadays I'm practically euphoric that it's at 42.50 ????

Fingers crossed ???????????????? that this is a gradual return to some sort of normality.

Don't wanna be a downer but I still stick with my 35 baht to £ as I did 16 years ago when I arrived here in retirement when it was 75 to £ in September 2005.

Thailand is developing so normality of the currency exchange is a lottery.

• Like 1

On 2/23/2021 at 4:24 PM, douglasspade said:

When GBP/USD pushes through 1.435, I would call it a comeback. For now GBP/THB are edging on a major weekly resistance at 42.290-  held since 2018/11/12, that is 800 odd days. Pushing bullish and holding that price, it could push for the next major resistance of 45.200 - witch was the support of the 2016 selloff.

The Dollar is on the three-year low against the British Pound due to boosted risk sentiment, because of the current covid progress in the US (also fueled by change of Presidency). Although the Thai Baht is performing remarkably well 'in range' against the Dollar, it always perform in sequence with the Dollar against European markets. The Baht is not a US pegged market since 1997, but trade sentiment is such a dishonorable thing ????????????!

It was 52 baht for the selloff in 2016 not 45.

23 hours ago, rickudon said:

Yes, GB pound up, Why? Because Brexit UNCERTAINTY is over (deal, no deal, what actually was affected). The negative impacts of Brexit were factored in 4 years ago, and very little has changed on that front. I think the first quarterly trade figures will be shocking and will have a negative effect, so expect pound to go down late March- April time.

Other positives - successful vaccination campaign, political chaos in USA (that will wear off soon) and slowly improved trade as the year goes on as exporters come to grips with the new regulations. 45 baht to the pound is still a fantasy this year, expect a rollercoaster between 40-43 as the various effects come and go.

Finally, inflation will go up this year in UK due to higher import/export costs. That may impact on exchange rates later on.

Not one thing you said was correct.. The pound will not go down in march because the whole world will have the same poor results as the UK.. Also inflation will go up yes but because of the price of oil and people finally allowed to go out shopping and if you're alloeed to fly for Holidays.

Just now, Bell1234 said:

Not one thing you said was correct.. The pound will not go down in march because the whole world will have the same poor results as the UK.. Also inflation will go up yes but because of the price of oil and people finally allowed to go out shopping and if you're alloeed to fly for Holidays.

You also have the price cap coming off Electricity and The Government taking the cap off petrol.. 

Living with cross currency rates can be a nightmare, but we have to accept it if we receive an income in 1 currency and then transfer to the other, I’ve been living with this for over 20 years, I use 3 main currencies, I have investments in 3 main currencies, however the USD is and always will be the central currency for the world. It goes up and goes down, we could right pages and pages of why the THB has been strong when it doesn’t make any sense when you look at the figures, but hey ho, lets ride the wave of life and enjoy the journey.

We could look back and say, “I wish I had done that” but we can’t go back. Prepare accordingly plan wisely and accept what YOU have done.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bell1234 said:

It was 52 baht for the selloff in 2016 not 45.

It was 50 between 2009 and the Brexit vote, sometimes a little up or down, but essentially 50.

Quoting it's highest point in that period of time is disingenuous. 

Oddly enough many western currencies in that period suffered an equal or greater drop.

Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Sweden ............

Edited by BritManToo

5 hours ago, bolt said:

Living with cross currency rates can be a nightmare, but we have to accept it if we receive an income in 1 currency and then transfer to the other, I’ve been living with this for over 20 years, I use 3 main currencies, I have investments in 3 main currencies, however the USD is and always will be the central currency for the world. It goes up and goes down, we could right pages and pages of why the THB has been strong when it doesn’t make any sense when you look at the figures, but hey ho, lets ride the wave of life and enjoy the journey.

We could look back and say, “I wish I had done that” but we can’t go back. Prepare accordingly plan wisely and accept what YOU have done.  

Is yes. Always will be, very unlikely.

Suppose its all relative..time and space...Khun wife told me she could at one time as a kid get a breakfast for 50 Satang in Bangkok...probably a bowl of Bamee...but why not.. My  best Ex change was in the glory days of 97 sitting in the Honey Hotel Soi 19 ...and getting yes ..97 Bt to the Pound..and one old boy with us ...changed 5 K  for half a Million..told this story before..so apol...if you heard it .Dropped quickly afterwards but fortunately bought our...her  land in CM at 72 ...so now at this wonderful 42 and a half still looks sad ..but as they  say ...better than nothing..init..yes

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Rinrada said:

Suppose its all relative..time and space...Khun wife told me she could at one time as a kid get a breakfast for 50 Satang in Bangkok...probably a bowl of Bamee...but why not.. My  best Ex change was in the glory days of 97 sitting in the Honey Hotel Soi 19 ...and getting yes ..97 Bt to the Pound..and one old boy with us ...changed 5 K  for half a Million..told this story before..so apol...if you heard it .Dropped quickly afterwards but fortunately bought our...her  land in CM at 72 ...so now at this wonderful 42 and a half still looks sad ..but as they  say ...better than nothing..init..yes

The good old Honey Hotel, my hotel of choice for many years from 1987. Have you seen this?

On 2/24/2021 at 11:26 AM, KannikaP said:

So now you've no idea what business they are in or what they do. At least TRANSFERwise gave you a heads up.

Of course I know what business they are in. I have been with them for over 2 years and this week they sent me an email explaining what differences the name change means to me.

No difference at all.

Possibly for someone starting out and looking to transfer money there may be a problem, so simply Google money transfers from UK to Thailand.

About 2.820.000 results (0,69 seconds)

Edited by billd766
Bad spelling
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2021 at 4:37 PM, ukrules said:

It's very shady when a company uses such a generic word for their name like this.

It achieves only one thing - it makes searching for webpages where they're mentioned much harder.

I've only came across this once before and the company was an out and out fraud with a name so very generic it was almost impossible to find much on them.

Just go to Google and type in Wise. It may hard to find as it is item #4 out of About 152.000.000 results (0,49 seconds) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

I did that and two blokes called Eric & Ernie came up!   LOL

Resurfaced have they?  A great double comedy act.

You could always try the remaining 151,999,999 results.

• Haha 2

Its quite mind boggling how many have no idea how foreign exchange is calculated with two pairings making up the number crunch (except Dollar/Baht)

Still so many that think theres a little man in an exchange booth who thinks we'll give Stering this today and the Euro that and so on

Quite astonishing you'd expect the odd or or two but its at least 50% of TV posters

Edited by Chivas

50 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Its quite mind boggling how many have no idea how foreign exchange is calculated with two pairings making up the number crunch (except Dollar/Baht)

Still so many that think theres a little man in an exchange booth who thinks we'll give Stering this today and the Euro that and so on

Quite astonishing you'd expect the odd or or two but its at least 50% of TV posters

Completely agree, sooooooo may TV members have no idea or are unable to trust using the WWW to send money, I have been using the WWW for last 18 years for online transactions and so far not an issue. wake up People 

• Like 2