Uk pension claim from Thailand

On 8/19/2021 at 3:58 PM, Mutt Daeng said:

I've just called the International Pension Centre (+441912187777) and claimed my UK state pension which is due in 3-4 months. Very helpful lady on the end of the phone. Similar experience as @scotsman above. I was connected immediately, no waiting in the queue. All done in less than 20 minutes. Very good service. 

9 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Update: I contacted the DWP last week asking for a progress report on my pension claim using a web enquiry form (it's been nearly 15 weeks since I claimed). Got a reply last night saying that my claim has NOT been received. What the ferk? 

9 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Yes, I'll be calling them today at the start of business.

Just called the IPC again. They confirmed that there was no record of my claim in August. The guy I spoke to (he gave me his full name) was very apologetic, and is going to try to find out what happened with my first claim. In the meantime he gave me the option to claim again, which I was happy to do, as I thought this would potentially be the fastest way to move forward. If I have heard nothing by end of January then I will contact them once more. Just for info, I called them using Skype and the cost of the 24 min 28 second call was only 55 pence.

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, chang50 said:

I'm pleased to hear the phone option is still there and also you can use skype +44 191218777 as I will be making my claim shortly.Thanks.

I think he made an exception because they had cocked up my original claim. I think claiming by phone is not allowed now.

• 2 weeks later...

I made a claim by phone in August no problem I hope you can still do it by phone.  My pension was due in late october but no pension so far.  I called them a few weeks ago and the nice lady said my claim should have been done by now so she is going to inform them to hurry it up. I should get a text message from them soon but so far nothing.  I will call again at the end of Dec if I am still waiting.

regards 

Scotsman 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, scotsman said:

I made a claim by phone in August no problem I hope you can still do it by phone.  My pension was due in late october but no pension so far.  I called them a few weeks ago and the nice lady said my claim should have been done by now so she is going to inform them to hurry it up. I should get a text message from them soon but so far nothing.  I will call again at the end of Dec if I am still waiting.

regards 

Scotsman 

I am still hoping to make my claim by phone as the form is daunting to say the least..

• Like 1
On 12/11/2021 at 3:41 PM, scotsman said:

regards 

Scotsman 

Made my claim by phone on 6th July having deferred it a number of months, I eventually received it on the 3rd of this month and it was back dated to the original claim date.

I did chase it up a couple of times and they did inform me that due to Covid there could be delays of up to 19 weeks.

Took a total of 21 weeks for me,almost 5 months.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, maechanman said:

Made my claim by phone on 6th July having deferred it a number of months, I eventually received it on the 3rd of this month and it was back dated to the original claim date.

I did chase it up a couple of times and they did inform me that due to Covid there could be delays of up to 19 weeks.

Took a total of 21 weeks for me,almost 5 months.

I have a friend who did his successfully mid September.I believe it is still possible to make a claim by telephone the uk gov.website has not changed it's advice.

1 hour ago, chang50 said:

I have a friend who did his successfully mid September.I believe it is still possible to make a claim by telephone the uk gov.website has not changed it's advice.

The last communication I received from TVP international  Queries states the telephone option is still available.Hopefully I'll make my claim next week and report back with how it went.

On 2/24/2021 at 11:24 AM, BritManToo said:

your advice is probably out  of date,

You would need to live to age 75 to get your extra contributions back and be in profit.

When I was your age it appeared to me to be a good idea, as back then the 'break even' age would have been 73.

Now i'm 65, betting I'll make 75 seems a bad investment.

If I were still 51, betting there would be a UK state pension at age 75 (for expats) would seem a bad risk.

This is dangerously misleading and completely incorrect.

An expat living in Thailand is entitled to pay Class 2 NI contributions at a rate of £3.05/week = £158.60/year.

For each full year of Class 2 NI contributions the contributor’s pension rises by £5:13/week = £266.76/year.

Your contributions will be completely repaid to you after £158.60/£5.13= 32 weeks.

Thereafter you’ll be in profit for the rest of your life.

The right to make Class 2 Contributions from Thailand is arguably one of the best investment opportunities you’ll ever get to provide secure cash in your old age.

Did you really turn that one down BritMan ?!

• Like 1
On 2/24/2021 at 9:02 PM, ivor bigun said:

????

you are a saint ,mind you there are thousands and thousands  of immigrants to Britain  who have never paid in a penny ,unlike all the pensioners who paid all their lives,claiming a fortune every week ,by comparison the pensioners claiming rises are a minute drop in the ocean.

There are also thousands and thousands of immigrants to the UK who paid NI but then left and will not receive pensions.

A consideration when claiming your UK state pension is the date you wish to commence payment.

Once in payment your pension will not receive annual cost of living increases but it might have a cost of living increase pending as you approach your entitlement date.

Example1:

Next year’s pension increase is already set in the Autumn budget and will come into payment starting in April.

Each Autumn budget announces the pension increase for the following April.

If you commence your pension payments before April you will not get the increase.

Added to which, for every 9 weeks you defer you’ll receive a 1% increase in your pension for life.

April’s increase is set at 2.5% so if you are due to start your pension in February or March, you can get a total of 3.5%. by deferring for 9 weeks.

You’d then get an extra £6.30/week for life and recover your loss in 5 years.

Example 2:

If your entitlement date is only a matter of days or say a month from the pension increase date, deferring your start date gets you 2.5% with very little pension forfeited. 

One other point.

The UK government this year suspended the triple lock for a single year. This has had little impact this year but with inflation rising the triple lock will have an increased impact next year.

The Autumn budget 2022 will set the pension increase for April 2023 and it will be Known then if the triple lock has been reinstated,

Certainly if your birthday is mid February to early April give this some thought.

1 minute ago, Chomper Higgot said:

I guess immigrants living rent free inside your head is a form of scrounging.

Regardless, your problems with migrants to the UK are not the subject of this thread.

you talk of immigrants who paid in but left ,well include my wife ,we lived in the UK for 7 yrs and she worked and paid ni ,but will never get a pension ,i paid for 44 yrs and they reduce mine ,yet you do not want to admit to those scroungers that invest nothing in the UK but just take (none so blind as those who do not want to see),

• Sad 1
10 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

you talk of immigrants who paid in but left ,well include my wife ,we lived in the UK for 7 yrs and she worked and paid ni ,but will never get a pension ,i paid for 44 yrs and they reduce mine ,yet you do not want to admit to those scroungers that invest nothing in the UK but just take (none so blind as those who do not want to see),

If your wife meets these two criteria she can make Class 2 contributions and thereby build her NI record to get a pension:

1. Worked in the UK and paid NI for at least 3 years.

AND 

2. Was working immediately before leaving the UK.

…..

Once again, this thread is not about your problems, real or imagined, with immigrants to the UK.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

This is dangerously misleading and completely incorrect.

An expat living in Thailand is entitled to pay Class 2 NI contributions at a rate of £3.05/week = £158.60/year.

For each full year of Class 2 NI contributions the contributor’s pension rises by £5:13/week = £266.76/year.

Your contributions will be completely repaid to you after £158.60/£5.13= 32 weeks.

Thereafter you’ll be in profit for the rest of your life.

The right to make Class 2 Contributions from Thailand is arguably one of the best investment opportunities you’ll ever get to provide secure cash in your old age.

Did you really turn that one down BritMan ?!

I thought that class 2 contributions were just for low income people working abroad. Others (like myself) need to pay class 3, which would be over £880.80/year for each year.

If there is a way for me to pay £158.60/year for each of my 3 missing years I would be grateful to hear it.

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

I thought that class 2 contributions were just for low income people working abroad. Others (like myself) need to pay class 3, which would be over £880.80/year for each year.

If there is a way for me to pay £158.60/year for each of my 3 missing years I would be grateful to hear it.

Correct, there are income requirements, and as ever they are never straight forward.

But even class 3 are a bargain with a payback time of just over 3 years.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Correct, there are income requirements, and as ever they are never straight forward.

But even class 3 are a bargain with a payback time of just over 3 years.

That's true, but it's worth emphasising that you are only eligible to pay voluntary class 2 NICs if you are working abroad, which would notably exclude all retirees.

Edited by partington
  • Like 2
On 12/13/2021 at 6:59 PM, chang50 said:

The last communication I received from TVP international  Queries states the telephone option is still available.Hopefully I'll make my claim next week and report back with how it went.

As promised I can report I made my uk pension claim by telephone today dec. 16th 2021 and it appeared to go well.

• Like 2