Can Immigration refuse future visa extensions if I decide never to do my 90 report again?

11 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I don't understand CharlieH..... every office I have been to (& I have lived before it even came in) they add apiece of paper to your passport, which the next time they remove and add another dated piece. I have never taken anything other then my passport in for a 90 day check.

I used to  send a member of staff with just the signed form and my passport.  Now I just do it on line. No bother.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I don't understand CharlieH..... every office I have been to (& I have lived before it even came in) they add apiece of paper to your passport, which the next time they remove and add another dated piece. I have never taken anything other then my passport in for a 90 day check.

As already stated by others here,and indeed is app.icable to many things in Thailand. It depends on theOffice and can vary by officer too. Here is what has been asked of me prior to completing online reports.

• Original and copy of your passport (identification page and pages with Thai visas and stamps).
  • A passport sized photo 
  • A copy of your arrival/departure card TM. 6 (front and back).
  • Previous notifications of staying over 90 days (if any).
  • A completed form.

As always YMMV

1 minute ago, samtam said:

I think it's best to anticipate that any IO will ask for something you have not prepared. If you have it, you're covered, if you don't, they may not process your documents. There is no guarantee about anything being required/not required and if the IO is in an intolerant mood, they will spice up their day by making life difficult for the applicant. (It's part of the job training!)

I must admit I have never seen it samtam--- had to do in 6 different areas since its been in.

Before that--well you had to leave the country, I guess its a good bet that most of the complainers  were not living here for that--because when they changed it to.."Don't bother to leave the country anymore just go to your local I.O. 3 times a year" --we were all doing hi-5s about it.

25 minutes ago, CharlieH said:
  • Original and copy of your passport (identification page and pages with Thai visas and stamps).
  • A passport sized photo 
  • A completed form.

1/ Well you have your passport --of course

3/ the TM.6 is fixed in your passport anyway-and should not be taken out.

4/ The previous notification is the last 90 day report which again is fixed to your passport and shouldn't be taken out

5/ I have never completed a form--Just signed it--the computer then completes it, the bottom of it is then torn off attached to your passport--its your next date.

This is in Issan--(Ban knok) which everyone tells me is far behind the rest of Thailand.

2/ No I have never been asked for a separate photo---for what? there is no box to attache it to on the 90 day form.

No problem at Korat for the past 2 years, filled in a TM47 once and after that no more forms, just hand over Passport.

Anyway the IO is very near Makro so I do some western shopping.

90 km round trip. Also I do not remember my address the wife wrote in Thai so I have steered away from the online report.

16 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

1/ Well you have your passport --of course

3/ the TM.6 is fixed in your passport anyway-and should not be taken out.

4/ The previous notification is the last 90 day report which again is fixed to your passport and shouldn't be taken out

5/ I have never completed a form--Just signed it--the computer then completes it, the bottom of it is then torn off attached to your passport--its your next date.

This is in Issan--(Ban knok) which everyone tells me is far behind the rest of Thailand.

2/ No I have never been asked for a separate photo---for what? there is no box to attache it to on the 90 day form.

And your point is what ? Its already been said offices vary.

3 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

I guess my point was CharlieH--that the majority of those things are attached inside  your passport anyway.

And my point was COPIES of all those things needed. Whereas NOTHING is needed for an online report.

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

And my point was COPIES of those things needed. Whereas NOTHING is needed for an online report.

Point taken Charlie................................ Yes, you do not need to take anything to your computer keyboard.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Not every office wants all of that to do a report in person.

All I have ever needed is my passport and a TM47 form at the most. The last time I did one in person they only wanted my passport that had my 90 day report slip in it.

Hat Yai require the completed TM47, together with photocopies of the passport ID page, the last entry stamp, the TM6, and the last 90 day report receipt, plus of course my passport. If the wife is going on my behalf I need to sign each photocopy. It's not a drama provided you know what they want.

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

As already stated by others here,and indeed is app.icable to many things in Thailand. It depends on theOffice and can vary by officer too. Here is what has been asked of me prior to completing online reports.

• A passport sized photo 
  • A completed form.

As always YMMV

Well, I am joining this forum because my 90-day report is due soon and for the first time I cannot do it online because the system is down.  I have been one of the lucky ones who have done all of my 90 day reports, except for the initial one, online successfully.  I suspect that the Thai government took the online system down on purpose so farangs would pay more money for taxis to get to immigration and maybe even miss the reporting deadline and have to pay fines.  More money for Thailand.  

Anyway, I have a question.  I will have to take my first trip to the Muang Thong Thani VISA Extension Center in Bangkok soon because Thailand won't fix the online option.  I do not have any copies of my previous 90 day reports.  I did them all online and never saved them because I could always just log back in and view them and save them if I ever needed to.  Well, now I need them and I can't login to the system because it is down!  I know, I learned my lesson, from now on I will save them.  Does anyone know what will happen if I don't have copies of my previous 90-day reports?  There is literally no way I can get them now.

7 minutes ago, loser4life said:

I suspect that the Thai government took the online system down on purpose so farangs would pay more money for taxis to get to immigration and maybe even miss the reporting deadline and have to pay fines.  More money for Thailand.  

Precisely.

Anyway, I have a question.  I will have to take my first trip to the Muang Thong Thani VISA Extension Center in Bangkok soon because Thailand won't fix the online option.  I do not have any copies of my previous 90 day reports.  I did them all online and never saved them because I could always just log back in and view them and save them if I ever needed to.  Well, now I need them and I can't login to the system because it is down!  I know, I learned my lesson, from now on I will save them.  Does anyone know what will happen if I don't have copies of my previous 90-day reports?  There is literally no way I can get them now.

I don't know. But I would try and avoid going to MTT, and mail in the requisite papers less the certificate and see what happens. If they are unable to process, it just proves that it is all completely bogus, and the IT recording is equally without merit.

32 minutes ago, samtam said:

I don't know. But I would try and avoid going to MTT, and mail in the requisite papers less the certificate and see what happens. If they are unable to process, it just proves that it is all completely bogus, and the IT recording is equally without merit.

I think I will try this.  This method seems cheaper and less of a hassle.  I am right at the 15-day mark before my reporting is due so if I do this tomorrow it gives me room for error. I can make all the photo copies at my job that I want, for free at my job.  I can send everything they have listed on the Thai Immigration 90-day Reporting website, except the copies of my old TM.47s because the system is down.  Maybe I'll include a note about that (as if they will read it or care).    Just to make sure the website is correct, I send these documents to the main immigration office which is the Government Complex on Chaengwattana Rd, and not the VISA Extension Center at Muang Thong Thani, correct?

13 hours ago, loser4life said:

I think I will try this.  This method seems cheaper and less of a hassle.  I am right at the 15-day mark before my reporting is due so if I do this tomorrow it gives me room for error. I can make all the photo copies at my job that I want, for free at my job.  I can send everything they have listed on the Thai Immigration 90-day Reporting website, except the copies of my old TM.47s because the system is down.  Maybe I'll include a note about that (as if they will read it or care).    Just to make sure the website is correct, I send these documents to the main immigration office which is the Government Complex on Chaengwattana Rd, and not the VISA Extension Center at Muang Thong Thani, correct?

Yes, to:

90 Days Reporting Section

Immigration Bureau (Imm. Div 1)

Chalermprakiat Government Complex

120 Moo 3, Chaengwattana Soi 7

Tungsinghong, Laksi District

Bangkok 10210

17 hours ago, WineOh said:

if the consequence of disobeying this ridiculous law is an annual 2,000 baht fine then I will disobey with great enthusiasm! 

It is 4000 baht if you are caught by immigration. The bigger picture here is that you should follow the laws and immigration regulations of the country you reside in. Thailand rules are actually a lot easier than for Thais who want to live in Europe, US etc...we can often arrive in Thai on 30 day stamp and change visa status if needed. There is no chance of that for Thais in Europe.

16 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

You are very lucky and you certainly do not live in CNX. They changed their own rules at least 3 or 4 times in the last 5 years just for the 90 days and maybe 10 X for the yearly extension during the last 25+ years. 

16 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Why would Immigration want to stop it, if they enhance it more junior officers would be required to manage it, more junior officers means more senior officers supervising, more senior officers means more Generals, and more prestige. Also the possibility of more brown envelopes.

I was thinking something similar ????

17 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

?  

The 90 day report is:

The purpose of 90-day reporting is to confirm your address and current status with Thai immigration.

That is wanting to know about you and your life?  

It is so simple and easy takes less then one minute at my local office they never ask me anything about me and my life.  

But, good for you as you do not have to do anything in Laos but of course, you hire an agent.

Would not be my choice at all huge huge downgrade from Thailand one of the poorest communist low 3rd world land locked countries in the world.

You may be right but that communist country at least uses some common sense regarding this subject. And.... in my few any government official in any country worldwide is a little "communist minded person" hired by the state that would be lost without that job from the state. Thailand is heading in the direction of big brother China regarding laws and officialdom.

36 minutes ago, claffey said:

It is 4000 baht if you are caught by immigration. The bigger picture here is that you should follow the laws and immigration regulations of the country you reside in. Thailand rules are actually a lot easier than for Thais who want to live in Europe, US etc...we can often arrive in Thai on 30 day stamp and change visa status if needed. There is no chance of that for Thais in Europe.

You are right about that but once they are in that country they are treated the same way as the locals, if not they can sue for discrimination (and many NGO's are willing to help them for free with that). They can do at least a hundred things that I'm not allowed after 30 years in Thailand legally. An illegal Thai has still more rights in my home country than me as a legal foreigner, paying tax,  married with children and employing local people. Getting in is the only big problem as you mention. 

21 hours ago, Boomer6969 said:

On line it takes 5 minutes, add another 5 to 10 minutes if you want to keep your paperwork tidy. So, I don't get it ?.. ????

I usually do it online. Last time I couldn't because I received a new passport. This time (so far) I cannot because the system has been down for about a week.

It will take me most of the day and about 600 Baht to go there. It is too late to do by mail

In addition to the fine for being late (and/or not doing a 90-day report) one never knows what other complications could result.

My understanding is for a 90-day report, one can do the report anytime in the period from 2 weeks prior to the date to 1-week after the date, without a fine. 

My experience:

Recently, I went to do my 90-day report on the 7th day after the reporting due date (ie last day of the 1-week after the 90-day reporting due date).  Prior to going to do the report, I went to my bank (Bangkok Bank) to get the letter to certify that I had the prerequisite 800k in my bank account (for an extension on my permission to stay by reason of retirement). The bank official, not understanding foreign passports, saw the 'stapled' 90-day report paper in my passport, noted that I was a week late in my 90 day report, and initially refused to do any paperwork for me. They incorrectly claimed I was illegally overstaying my 'permission to stay' and noted Banks are not allowed to do such paperwork for people overstaying.   It took some time, to show the Bank Official the various stamps in the passport, and explain that a 90-day report is NOT the same as a permission to stay.  Problem solved, paperwork obtained, but it was painful.

Then when I went to immigration that same day, to do my 90-day report, they noted their computer system was down, and I was told to come back tomorrow (which would be 8-days after my 90-day report date). That would mean a fine of  what ?  200 baht/day x 8-days = 1,600 Thai baht?  Eventually after some talking with a different helpful immigration official, it was noted my 90-day report could be done 'manually', and so I did it on day-7 (even thou computers were down) and I thus was not fined.   I note thou, instead of the usual significantly less than 10-minute 90-day report, it was close to 1-hour to sort through the chats/paperwork (due to downed computers) - all in part because I waited for the last day.

So one never knows what complication may arise.

I also wonder, if one is stopped by the police, and they check one's passport , note the stapled paper in one's passport has a 90-day report date that has long since passed, might they use that as an excuse to put one up in the Police's less than pleasant 'holding cell/facilities', while passport stuff is sorted?   ... Likely not, but why take the chance ?

IMHO - just do the 90-day report, and do not wait for the last possible day.

Archived