Daft Punk were the most influential pop musicians of the 21st century

Daft Punk were the most influential pop musicians of the 21st century

4896.jpg

Always a step ahead ... Daft Punk in 2013. Photograph: Matt Sayles/Invision/AP

It’s hard to think of an act who had a greater impact on the way 21st-century pop music sounds than Daft Punk. The style Thomas Bangalter and Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo minted on their 1997 debut album Homework – house music heavy on the filter effect, which involved the bass or treble on the track gradually fading in and out, mimicking a DJ playing with the equalisation on a mixer; drums treated with sidechain compression, so that the beats appeared to punch through the sound, causing everything else on the track to momentarily recede – is now part of pop’s lingua franca.

In fact, no sooner had Homework come out than other artists started to copy it. Within a couple of years, Madonna had hooked up with another French dance producer, Mirwais, employed to add a distinctly Daft Punk-ish sheen to her 2000 album Music, and the charts were playing host to a succession of soundalike house tracks – 2 People by Jean Jacques Smoothie, who turned out to be a bloke from Gloucester called Steve; Phats and Small’s ubiquitous Turn Around; and No 1 singles, Modjo’s Lady and Eric Prydz’s Call on Me among them.

Full Story: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/feb/23/daft-punk-were-the-most-influential-pop-musicians-of-the-21st-century

• Haha 1
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Odd that I've never heard of them or any of their music then.

"Daft punk" - what I call my nephew.

Many might not have , but those in the music industry , have and have been influenced by.  

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Many might not have , but those in the music industry , have and have been influenced by.

Even though they’re not something I listen to, they’re also well known in audiophile communities with ‘Random Access Memories’ making multiple lists of best recorded albums of all time.

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, sirineou said:
1 hour ago, fangless said:

+1

As have anyone with a finger on the pulse of life outside of an upcountry village... 

The probability is that those who don’t know they have heard anything by Daft Punk actually have, liked it, but just didn’t know who it was... 

Of course, isn’t it cool though to stand out from the crowd and when something is mentioned or reported on as being the most popular, influential etc.... to say... I don’t know who they are highlight your independence from mainstream ‘anything’... :whistling:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
6 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Daft Punk's soundtracks for the remake of Tron are absolutely amazing. 

they are huge. 

Huge in the context of their contributions and influence on music, perhaps. Outside of that, their effect towards improving the world in general, is perhaps, not huge.

• Like 1