big bike licence

arthur john

That speed rule is silly.  I used to ride my Suzuki TS125 at 100 kph occasionally, and that was a dual-sport.  A Kawa Z400 (399cc) can cruise at 120 kph and not even reach peak torque. Making bikes go slower than car traffic is dangerous. 

I've had my Thai motorbike license for 42 years.  I wonder how many CCs I'd be allowed. 

• Like 1

I've seen some pictures shared on social media, but not from an official source, so the information provided on those pictures could be wrong:

The current existing motorbike licenses may be used for riding small as well as big bikes as long as they are valid.

So if you just renewed your license recently you don't have to worry about the big bike license any time soon.

I assume if you extend them the next time by default you would only get a "small bike license", and have to apply for the "big bike license" separately.

This could be wrong, don't take it as a fact, I didn't see any official announcement yet.

I think like many things here, different local offices may have different interpretations. As for mine, when we visited the DLT a couple of months ago I prompted Mrs BM to enquire about it. A couple of the officials had no idea what she was talking about, a third did, spotted the farang and laughed. "Mai bpen rai" was the answer, no plans to do anything about it here in the foreseeable future. 

18 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I've seen some pictures shared on social media, but not from an official source, so the information provided on those pictures could be wrong:

The current existing motorbike licenses may be used for riding small as well as big bikes as long as they are valid.

So if you just renewed your license recently you don't have to worry about the big bike license any time soon.

I assume if you extend them the next time by default you would only get a "small bike license", and have to apply for the "big bike license" separately.

This could be wrong, don't take it as a fact, I didn't see any official announcement yet.

Great, thanks. Any idea when mine's due?

• Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...

The new road speed limits have just come into force, including the size-related limits for bikes.

These speed limits and the new 'Big Bike' licence were announced at about the same time towards the end of last year.

I wonder whether we'll get any FIRM information on the requirements for the 'Big Bike' licence soon. 

I renewed my licence 2 weeks ago and the local DLT knew nothing about it or, if they did, weren't willing to share that info.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2021 at 12:34 AM, mr mr said:

ktm duke 390. problem solved and still loads of fun. 

400 cc is a good compromise between agility in the city and power. Honda CB1 was the best bike I ever had.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, dbrenn said:

400 cc is a good compromise between agility in the city and power. Honda CB1 was the best bike I ever had.

Kawasaki Ninja 400 and Z400 are pretty zippy small bikes.  0-100 km/h in about 4.5 seconds.  44 horsepower.

CB1 looks like fun.

• Like 1

I got a big bike license back in 1978.  It's made of paper and it's twice the size of a credit card.  Too big for my wallet without folding it.  It's a lifetime license, so I should be good to go for many more years as long as I don't ride on Thai roads.  ????

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2021 at 7:30 PM, Damrongsak said:

I got a big bike license back in 1978.  It's made of paper and it's twice the size of a credit card.  Too big for my wallet without folding it.  It's a lifetime license, so I should be good to go for many more years as long as I don't ride on Thai roads.  ????

Did you read what you wrote or do you mean using it for riding in western countries. 

3 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Did you read what you wrote or do you mean using it for riding in western countries. 

It's a joke, son.  It's a big piece of paper - the size of my passport.  I haven't ridden in 40 years.  I don't know if I could use the license here in the U.S.  It's all in Thai.

I was able to renew both my licences to a 5 year in  CR.   yesterday the very last day of the year long extension. My licences expired on April 20 2020. It took less the two hours. Just a color chart and peripheral vision test. 500baht + small processing fee for the car and 250 for the motorcycle. 760baht in total. Very happy to not have to retest and start over with another 2 year licence. Very painless and I spend far more time in hospital lineups so grateful.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...