State Requirements For Getting Vaccinated In US?

I just turned 65, so if I went back to the US, maybe I could get vaccinated. I grew up in Seattle (Washington State), but last lived in California before moving to LOS in 2006. I still have a US passport, but I no longer have a US driver's license. (I only have a Thai license.) I'm still registered to vote in California (Alameda County). I get mail at my sister's place in Seattle sometimes.
Anyhow, I'm wondering what they ask for in order to make an appointment to get vaccinated. I asked on Facebook. One friend in Seattle said they just asked for ID and he showed his driver's license. Another friend that lives in rural eastern Washington State said social security card and phone number. Makes it sound like the bar is not too high. Maybe just my passport and some mail delivered to my sister's in Seattle would be sufficient? (Not sure I know where my SS card is actually. But I can log in to my SS acct online.)
One page on the web said each state can make its own requirements (surprise).

• Like 2

In Hawaii they're vaccinating 65 and above with a state or driver's license and where you get it depends on what medical facility that you're with (HMSA or Kaiser). In the newspaper they said Florida is vaccinating anyone who is a citizen regardless what state you're from (65 and above). My brothers are in California and they said it's pretty easy over there. 

• Thanks 1

It varies by State.

Everywhere you need proof of identity including age plus proof of residence. Passport will work for the former, you'll have to check state website to see what they will accept for the second. I know New York state was quite rigid/demanding but this will not necessarily be the case in your State.

Pretty much everywhere appointments need to be made online and are hard to book so give it plenty of lead time. The online booking system is a mess, not centralized in most cases (i.e. have to try multiple sites), make yoy go through all sorts of rigamarole first before telling you mo openings, and keep crashing. Literally millions of people online night and day trying to book at each site. While many of the top priority group of the very old lack computer access/ know-how and don't stand a chance. It is an absolute mess

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It varies by State.

Everywhere you need proof of identity including age plus proof of residence. Passport will work for the former, you'll have to check state website to see what they will accept for the second. I know New York state was quite rigid/demanding but this will not necessarily be the case in your State.

Pretty much everywhere appointments need to be made online and are hard to book so give it plenty of lead time. The online booking system is a mess, not centralized in most cases (i.e. have to try multiple sites), make yoy go through all sorts of rigamarole first before telling you mo openings, and keep crashing. Literally millions of people online night and day trying to book at each site. While many of the top priority group of the very old lack computer access/ know-how and don't stand a chance. It is an absolute mess

For all the parts that the movie Contagion did get right one part that they missed on was the coordinated, orderly federal vaccination program.  In reality it's been unnecessary chaos especially considering that the Feds had the better part of a year to prepare.  To be fair, Contagion couldn't have predicted a pandemic coinciding with a historically dysfunctional executive branch.  But people are getting vaccinated and with the two best vaccines.

Many countries haven't even started vaccinating their populations yet so it could be worse.

• Sad 1

Not only state, but also much variation by county in some states.

Futile exercise to document every possible location now.

Maybe wait a few months and dip your toes back in.

Should be easy to check on the documentation requirements. Just drill down on the state's (and county's) public health web page.

I would think you'd need a RealID-compliant ID (passport is one, also Global Entry Card, Passport Card, some/most state DLs) and some proof of residence (states have all sorts of different docs: DL, utility bill, jury summons, quasi-gov't mailing (IRS, SSA etc.)

14 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

I'm still registered to vote in California (Alameda County)

This may be your best option, of the one's you've listed. But if the address is no longer valid who knows?

You may be able to get a replacement SocSec card from the FBU in Manila? Although I doubt that holds much cachet for a vaccine? 

"But I can log in to my SS acct online."

What address do you use for MySSA? Needs to be in the U.S. or FPO. If in the U.S. that would work for proof.

Edited by mtls2005
3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

In about four months time they will be begging people to come in.

Agreed.

You've also got to consider the duration of your trip to account for potentially two doses (21d/Pfizer, 28d/Moderna).

The J&J Janssen single-shot might change things?

And if we can return under some sort of ASQ-waiver, game, set, match.

But maybe we'll have access to these here too, eventually, so unless you need to go back, maybe just get it here?

I plan/hope to go back for a visit by July 2022, right now.

21 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

You enrolled in MySSA using your Thai address? Not sure that's possible.

Or did you first enroll with a U.S. address, and then change it?

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/replacement-card.html

I've forgotten, but pretty sure I enrolled with Thai address. (Think I did this since moving here in 2006, as probably SSA wasn't online until after then?) Pretty sure others on T/V also use Thai address with SSA.)  Sorta doubt having physical SS card would be deciding factor in vaccine eligibility. 

Edited by OliverKlozerof
1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

You enrolled in MySSA using your Thai address? Not sure that's possible.

Or did you first enroll with a U.S. address, and then change it?

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/replacement-card.html

AFAIK, unless very recently changed, you cannot open an online SS account with a foreign address.

You can enroll in SS using a foreign address, but not get a MySSA  online account.

Unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I wouldn't even try right now.

The demand greatly exceeds the supply.

In about four months time they will be begging people to come in.

You're an optimist.

From what I can see they will be stretched to vaccinate those who badly want it by the end of the year.

15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

From what I can see they will be stretched to vaccinate those who badly want it by the end of the year.

I could return tomorrow and get a shot. This is specific to my State, county and city. They just dipped from 75 YO to 65 YO.

Right now things have slowed a bit, mostly due to weather, but it's also an easier time to get an appointment.

My friend's wife works at Bandkok Pattaya Hospital. They will have the Pfizer. Moderna, Johnson and Johnson and about two others. I don't know exactly what the cost will be for foreigners but it'll be cheaper than getting on a plane and flying out of the country. The papers they give in all countries is stamped with the CDC logo. My friend in Hawaii had a video call with his brother on the east coast of the U.S. and it was the same paper in Hawaii with the CDC logo so it's a standardized card. That'll be your vaccine passport.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Right now things have slowed a bit, mostly due to weather, but it's also an easier time to get an appointment.

Maybe in your location but not at all in many places.  Varies from very difficult to impossible in some places. Web sites still crashing fromexcess traffic and all slots filled.  I know a lot of people -- in several different states -- still struggling to get an appointment.

55 minutes ago, kawikasudo said:

My friend's wife works at Bandkok Pattaya Hospital. They will have the Pfizer. Moderna, Johnson and Johnson and about two others. 

I don't see how they can say that when these have not yet even been approved for use in Thailand. AfAIK Pfizer and Moderna have not even applied to start the process.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

Maybe in your location but not at all in many places.

Yes, I said as much. ????

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

This is specific to my State, county and city.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

I know a lot of people -- in several different states -- still struggling to get an appointment.

Everyone I know who wants and qualifies has gotten a vaccination. 

2 hours ago, kawikasudo said:

They will have the Pfizer. Moderna, Johnson and Johnson and about two others.

Operative word here "will". Heard the same (AZ, Pfizer, Moderna anyway) re: private hospitals in Bangkok once these are approved.

Remember the Sinovac vaccine was only approved on Monday, a day ahead of delivery, so not a lot of "science" going into these approvals, if I ahd to guess.

I plan to wait to get a vaccination here, but if I had to make a trip home for another reason I'd consider getting 1x/2x in the U.S.

Many friends back in the US have gotten one or both shots. Yesterday a guy I went to high school with said he just got his first shot. Here's our FB exchange:
--

ST:

Just got my first vaccine at Safeway (grocery store chain)

Me:

What ID was required? Just driver's license?

ST:

They wanted my Medicare card but that was in my wallet in the car ???? so I just gave them the last 4 digits in my social security card.

Me:

Wow, simple. You made appointment online I guess?

ST:

No they took my name on a piece of paper and put me on a waiting list, and called me.

7 minutes ago, OliverKlozerof said:

They wanted my Medicare card

This may be more about accounting - like which governmental organization absorbs the expense, ulitmately - than "identification"?

Now that the J&J shot is approved, and the weather moderates, vaccinations might get to 3m/day.

14 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

This may be more about accounting - like which governmental organization absorbs the expense, ulitmately - than "identification"?

Now that the J&J shot is approved, and the weather moderates, vaccinations might get to 3m/day.

I guess I'm not surprised that the bar is set quite low re: 'proving eligibility.' The objective, after all, is to get as many people vaccinated as possible, as fast as possible. I'd guess a lot of the people at vaccination sites are volunteers; somewhat analogous to the volunteer effort at polling centers during an election. If you look and sound like a US citizen, and look like you're in the currently targeted age group, you get a shot. How many are at risk of getting reprimanded for giving a shot to someone who 'forgot to bring their Medicare card,' or had other ID issues? What harm could be done by giving a shot to someone who may not be officially eligible?

I think enforcement of eligibility varies by state, county, city etc.

For now, in my state you need an appointment, done on-line and you need to provide both a gov't issued photo ID, and filling and sign an affidavit. You have to be 65+, or fit into a few other categories (2 co-morbids, essential worker, etc.)

I think in few months you'll be able to get any vaccine you want (Pfizer, Moderna, J&J) as a walk-in.

Edited by mtls2005
  • Like 1
23 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

I guess I'm not surprised that the bar is set quite low re: 'proving eligibility.' The objective, after all, is to get as many people vaccinated as possible, as fast as possible. I'd guess a lot of the people at vaccination sites are volunteers; somewhat analogous to the volunteer effort at polling centers during an election. If you look and sound like a US citizen, and look like you're in the currently targeted age group, you get a shot. How many are at risk of getting reprimanded for giving a shot to someone who 'forgot to bring their Medicare card,' or had other ID issues? What harm could be done by giving a shot to someone who may not be officially eligible?

it varies very, very much by state.

in many of them the bar is set extremely high. So high as to make it difficult to impossible for some to get the vaccine.

What you describe is very, very atypical judging from what i hear from multiple states. Especially the part about being able to physically go to a place and get on a list. Many states allow only online booking (with websites that are hard to navigate, full of bugs and constantly crashing). This is a HUGE obstacle for the very elderly.

I have had many reports from elderly, non-computer literate people trying in vain to go in person or call to get on a list and all were turned away. You are from a state that is unusually easy going on this. I have had to spend many, many days online making bookings for elderly relatives in the US who don't have or use computers. It is a real hassle to understate things. And the amount of "security" and demands for proof of eligibility is beyond absurd, I could literally move millions of dollars around the globe online (well, if I had it to move!) more easily than what is involved in booking for a COVID shot in many parts of the country.

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm going to ditto much of whats already been said, that this is a State by State issue.

I would suggest just looking at the State Dept. of Health website where you plan to try to get it where they are in the rollout.

This is the graphic from my State, pretty sure most have something similar.

https://doh.sd.gov/documents/COVID19/Vaccine/COVIDVaccineAvailability_Distribution.pdf

Now I know at least in SD we are required to show an SD drivers license at the vaccination center after getting a text or email saying we are eligible

In California I know, folks get a PIN number delivered by text message in order to go to a vaccination center.

And as for where you get it, also varies State by State.

In SD it's been centralized and delegated to the 4 main health providers in the West & East of the State, no pharmacy rollout, as yet at least, but that is not the case in other States.

So I don't think any of us can advise you definitively on the requirements in every State

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Nevada explicitly states that residency is not a requirement for those eligible based on their age.

"Based on updated guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), at this time proof of residency is not required to receive a COVID-19 vaccine if the individual meets the requirement for the age group that is currently being vaccinated."

https://www.immunizenevada.org/covid-19-faq

If you're 65+ vaccination appointments are now readily available, in Las Vegas at least.

It's impossible to determine what all 50 States require, well not impossible but a Pain In The A$$s.

Here in South Dakota it was doled out centrally by the State to the three biggest health systems. I registered online, name address and selected which priority group I was in. I got a phone call to schedule my appointment. I got Q code on my phone and that was all I needed at the vaccination center.

My ex in CA says they receive a PIN code to their cellphone when they get an appointment.

So it really depends on the State and how they are handling the rollout.

I guess after Biden's speech, the priority groups are out of the window on May 1st anyway, so then it just goes to first come first served

If you're shopping around for your vaccination, also look into how it will be certified, since some sort of vaccination proof may be a travel requirement down the road.

So far as I know, everyone everywhere gets a small CDC card when they're vaccinated, showing the brand of vaccine and the lot number. Will this be enough for travel? Who knows.

If something more official is needed, you'll have to get a certificate from the state's immunization registry. Point is, this is easy in some states, like Nevada and Arizona, which permit you to download a copy online. But much more difficult elsewhere, like Georgia.

So do your homework before flying off.

And as to LA County at least, here are some of the acceptable documents for residency:

Examples of proof that you live in LA County (must show your name and address):

• Driver’s license
  • Library card
  • Postmarked letter
  • Utility bill
  • Voter registration confirmation
  • Rent receipt or lease or letter from landlord
  • Law enforcement document (can be from immigration including deportation)
  • Tax, bank, or insurance document
  • Post Office change of address confirmation
  • Membership card – Union, YMCA, store club card, fitness center, community or neighborhood association, apartment building association
  •  
  • http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/acd/ncorona2019/vaccine/hcwsignup/