Jump to content

State Requirements For Getting Vaccinated In US?


Recommended Posts

I just turned 65, so if I went back to the US, maybe I could get vaccinated. I grew up in Seattle (Washington State), but last lived in California before moving to LOS in 2006. I still have a US passport, but I no longer have a US driver's license. (I only have a Thai license.) I'm still registered to vote in California (Alameda County). I get mail at my sister's place in Seattle sometimes.
Anyhow, I'm wondering what they ask for in order to make an appointment to get vaccinated. I asked on Facebook. One friend in Seattle said they just asked for ID and he showed his driver's license. Another friend that lives in rural eastern Washington State said social security card and phone number. Makes it sound like the bar is not too high. Maybe just my passport and some mail delivered to my sister's in Seattle would be sufficient? (Not sure I know where my SS card is actually. But I can log in to my SS acct online.)
One page on the web said each state can make its own requirements (surprise).

  • Like 2
Link to post

In Hawaii they're vaccinating 65 and above with a state or driver's license and where you get it depends on what medical facility that you're with (HMSA or Kaiser). In the newspaper they said Florida is vaccinating anyone who is a citizen regardless what state you're from (65 and above). My brothers are in California and they said it's pretty easy over there. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post

It varies by State.

 

Everywhere you need proof of identity including age plus proof of residence. Passport will work for the former, you'll have to check state website to see what they will accept for the second. I know New York state was quite rigid/demanding but this will not necessarily be the case in your State.

 

Pretty much everywhere appointments need to be made online and are hard to book so give it plenty of lead time. The online booking system is a mess, not centralized in most cases (i.e. have to try multiple sites), make yoy go through all sorts of rigamarole first before telling you mo openings, and keep crashing. Literally millions of people online night and day trying to book at each site. While many of the top priority group of the very old lack computer access/ know-how and don't stand a chance. It is an absolute mess

 

 

Link to post
11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

It varies by State.

 

Everywhere you need proof of identity including age plus proof of residence. Passport will work for the former, you'll have to check state website to see what they will accept for the second. I know New York state was quite rigid/demanding but this will not necessarily be the case in your State.

 

Pretty much everywhere appointments need to be made online and are hard to book so give it plenty of lead time. The online booking system is a mess, not centralized in most cases (i.e. have to try multiple sites), make yoy go through all sorts of rigamarole first before telling you mo openings, and keep crashing. Literally millions of people online night and day trying to book at each site. While many of the top priority group of the very old lack computer access/ know-how and don't stand a chance. It is an absolute mess

 

 

 

For all the parts that the movie Contagion did get right one part that they missed on was the coordinated, orderly federal vaccination program.  In reality it's been unnecessary chaos especially considering that the Feds had the better part of a year to prepare.  To be fair, Contagion couldn't have predicted a pandemic coinciding with a historically dysfunctional executive branch.  But people are getting vaccinated and with the two best vaccines.

 

Many countries haven't even started vaccinating their populations yet so it could be worse.

  • Sad 1
Link to post

Not only state, but also much variation by county in some states.

 

Futile exercise to document every possible location now.

 

Maybe wait a few months and dip your toes back in.

 

Should be easy to check on the documentation requirements. Just drill down on the state's (and county's) public health web page.

 

I would think you'd need a RealID-compliant ID (passport is one, also Global Entry Card, Passport Card, some/most state DLs) and some proof of residence (states have all sorts of different docs: DL, utility bill, jury summons, quasi-gov't mailing (IRS, SSA etc.)

 

 

14 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

I'm still registered to vote in California (Alameda County)

 

This may be your best option, of the one's you've listed. But if the address is no longer valid who knows?

 

You may be able to get a replacement SocSec card from the FBU in Manila? Although I doubt that holds much cachet for a vaccine? 

 

"But I can log in to my SS acct online."

 

What address do you use for MySSA? Needs to be in the U.S. or FPO. If in the U.S. that would work for proof.

 

 

 

Edited by mtls2005
Link to post
3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

In about four months time they will be begging people to come in.

 

Agreed.

 

You've also got to consider the duration of your trip to account for potentially two doses (21d/Pfizer, 28d/Moderna).

 

The J&J Janssen single-shot might change things?

 

And if we can return under some sort of ASQ-waiver, game, set, match.

 

But maybe we'll have access to these here too, eventually, so unless you need to go back, maybe just get it here?

 

I plan/hope to go back for a visit by July 2022, right now.

 

 

Link to post
21 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

 

You enrolled in MySSA using your Thai address? Not sure that's possible.

 

Or did you first enroll with a U.S. address, and then change it?

 

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/replacement-card.html

I've forgotten, but pretty sure I enrolled with Thai address. (Think I did this since moving here in 2006, as probably SSA wasn't online until after then?) Pretty sure others on T/V also use Thai address with SSA.)  Sorta doubt having physical SS card would be deciding factor in vaccine eligibility. 

Edited by OliverKlozerof
Link to post
1 hour ago, mtls2005 said:

 

You enrolled in MySSA using your Thai address? Not sure that's possible.

 

Or did you first enroll with a U.S. address, and then change it?

 

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/replacement-card.html

 

AFAIK, unless very recently changed, you cannot open an online SS account with a foreign address.

 

You can enroll in SS using a foreign address, but not get a MySSA  online account.

 

Unfortunately.

Link to post
1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I wouldn't even try right now.

The demand greatly exceeds the supply.

In about four months time they will be begging people to come in.

 

You're an optimist.

 

From what I can see they will be stretched to vaccinate those who badly want it by the end of the year.

Link to post
15 hours ago, Sheryl said:

From what I can see they will be stretched to vaccinate those who badly want it by the end of the year.

 

I could return tomorrow and get a shot. This is specific to my State, county and city. They just dipped from 75 YO to 65 YO.

 

Right now things have slowed a bit, mostly due to weather, but it's also an easier time to get an appointment.

 

 

Link to post

My friend's wife works at Bandkok Pattaya Hospital. They will have the Pfizer. Moderna, Johnson and Johnson and about two others. I don't know exactly what the cost will be for foreigners but it'll be cheaper than getting on a plane and flying out of the country. The papers they give in all countries is stamped with the CDC logo. My friend in Hawaii had a video call with his brother on the east coast of the U.S. and it was the same paper in Hawaii with the CDC logo so it's a standardized card. That'll be your vaccine passport.

Link to post
2 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

 

Right now things have slowed a bit, mostly due to weather, but it's also an easier time to get an appointment.

 

 

Maybe in your location but not at all in many places.  Varies from very difficult to impossible in some places. Web sites still crashing fromexcess traffic and all slots filled.  I know a lot of people -- in several different states -- still struggling to get an appointment.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...