State Requirements For Getting Vaccinated In US?

My home state is opening up vaccinations for anyone (+16 YO) as of April 19, 2021 (Patriot's Day).

March 22: residents 60+ and certain workers
April 5th: residents 55+ and residents with one certain medical condition
April 19th (Patriots Day): general public ages 16 years of age and older

• 2 weeks later...

I don't pay much attention to the news, but I do think I heard Biden's hoping in a few weeks to open it up to anyone who wants to get vaccinated. I suppose it will still depend policies states/districts. But it seems like, as supplies continue to increase, that eligibility requirements will be eased.

I'm quite ready for a break from Asia (and this hot season), so as soon as it looks like I'll be able to get a/some shot(s), I'd like to fly to the US. Well, I suppose I might also want to wait until lots of stuff is open, which, more and more, it seems to be. 
Anyone know current requirements to make such a flight? I'm obviously unvaccinated. Do I need to get a covid test prior? (There must be other threads on this here, but....)

So I think the biggest issue with this is not proving eligibility, but more a case of where and when you can schedule appointments.

Bit of a moot point for us, since both me and my wife have had both shots 

But as States open up eligibility windows to more and more people it gets tougher to get an appointment.

My eldest daughter who lives in Denver got a call that she could get one if she would drive the hour and a half to Boulder, which she did.

My ex wife lives in the SF Bay Area, and couldn't find an appointment for months, but ended up making an appointment in Sacramento for the 20th of April. Still worth the drive.

Remember one of the very under reported facts is the US is doing rather well in getting folks fully vaccinated since we're holding the 3 weeks for Pfizer, four weeks for Moderna second shot rule, unlike places like the UK where the focus is on getting the first shots out to as many as possible and extending the second shot window, results 16%fully vaccinated for the US, 6% fully vaccinated for the UK

So before committing to a location check on availability.

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2021/health/us-covid-vaccinations/

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/world/covid-vaccinations-tracker.html

• Thanks 2

Availability is, for the most part a non-issue at this point. Maybe a wait of a few days at most.

Who knows about eligibility? Pretty sure some sort of ID would be required. A U.S. passport may be good enough. There is a desire to disocurage vaccine tourism.

The bigger issue is scheduling the 21 - 28 day trip, to account for the second shot, and then coordinating the return to Thailand.

The J&J vaccine is not widely available, nor can one choose a specific vaccine. You can decline a specific vaccine day of.

• Thanks 1

OK, so looks like in Nevada, and probably other places now or soon, I would be able to get the shot(s) with just my US passport (or Medicare card, which just arrived, since I just turned 65). 
So now the concern may shift to: At what point will Thailand start allowing fully vaccinated people to return to the country without undergoing 14-day quarantine? Again, I haven't been paying much attention to any discussion about this. But seems likely at some point they will either end the quarantine requirement for those who can show proof of vaccination, or make it much shorter....

Since I was thinking of staying in the US for at least 2 months this trip, then I suppose I could go there if there's word the quarantine will likely be lifted in 2–3 months.... (I'm single and retired, so pretty flexible about travel, etc.)

BTW, has there been any info about when farang might be able to start getting shots in Thailand?

Edited by OliverKlozerof
2 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

OK, so looks like in Nevada, and probably other places now or soon, I would be able to get the shot(s) with just my US passport (or Medicare card, which just arrived, since I just turned 65). 
So now the concern may shift to: At what point will Thailand start allowing fully vaccinated people to return to the country without undergoing 14-day quarantine? Again, I haven't been paying much attention to any discussion about this. But seems likely at some point they will either end the quarantine requirement for those who can show proof of vaccination, or make it much shorter....

Since I was thinking of staying in the US for at least 2 months this trip, then I suppose I could go there if there's word the quarantine will likely be lifted in 2–3 months.... (I'm single and retired, so pretty flexible about travel, etc.)

BTW, has there been any info about when farang might be able to start getting shots in Thailand?

Now wherever you end up getting the shot, plan for 3 weeks for Pfizer, and 4 weeks for Moderna before you get the second shot.

The best we have right now in terms of a covid vaccine passport is the card you will get at the vaccination point from the CDC, showing dates and vaccine lot numbers.

Now how Thailand is gonna handle requirements for re-entry, well good luck on that! 

I'm assuming that worst comes to worst, if you get the double shots there is somewhere you can hunker down until Thai re-entry requirements calm down

19 hours ago, OliverKlozerof said:

At what point will Thailand start allowing fully vaccinated people to return to the country without undergoing 14-day quarantine?

The "plan" calls for  1 Jan 2022 (aka Phase 4), but that will depend on many, many, many factors. The 1 Oct 2021 (aka Phase 3)  benchmark would eliminate quarantine (for those vaccinated) but maybe with some physical restrictions on locale.

CoE is said to be eliminated in Phase 3, if you have a vaccination proof.

Not sure about insurance requirements. Suspect those may stay in place, COVID-19 $100K anyway. Hopefully the 40/400 requirement goes away.

Still thinking some local private hospital vaccines might be available in Q421 here.  

• Thanks 1

Americans usually write-out names with just a middle initial. See your Medicare card for example. So to avoid problems down the road with check-in clerks or foreign bureaucrats, make sure your vaccination card shows your full name as in your passport.

It is a bit of a mess regarding eligibility, ya think? I looked at Krogers site (they give shots at pharmacy). For California, stated must live or work in Cali. I'm Oregon born and bred, don't have that live or work bit. My Oregon drivers license expired about 10 yrs ago. Do have friends house where some mail still goes., I'll take a piece of mail with me if I go back. May sign up for Walgreens membership card (they also giving) and just try to "brass it out".  I signed up to Oregon vaccine program, have been getting emails inviting me to make appointment, they have the juice.

I get an Oregon state pension, but I don't pay state taxes any more as I don't live there. I do absentee vote based on last Oregon address. Problem with this distribution is that I still pay federal taxes (which pays for the vaccine, right?), but getting the shot depends on the whims of state governments. If Oregon decided I was no longer eligible due to some residence requirement, I would essentially be a "stateless" US citizen. And US state dept & embassies tell us to "depend on local resources" (Thai... yeah, right).

Tis many a slip twixt cup and the lip...

• Thanks 1

Washington State 

Parents, in their 80's had to show ID, drivers license, step dad used his passport. That was for the second round of vaccinations and likely stricter at that time. Basically you're asked to have an ID to confirm it is YOU. No one has said they are asking for state residence. This from sister, brother  .... niece, nephew and his girlfriend, the last three have appointments this week, all in their twenties.

As gin boy mentioned some places have room if you can drive there for an immediate appointment. Two weeks back my brother drove to Yakima from the west side. A long way, but he likes to play golf at 'AppleTree' in Ahtanum. He got in a round, then had his vaccination.

I've thought about going back also. Vacation, vaccination, skip smog season sounds good, I like to travel so a little cabin feverish.  The real question is getting back into Thailand before renewal of non o extension.  

Officially by order of Washington Governor J Inslee, April 16, everyone  above the age of 16 can get vaccinations. I do not think you will have a problem as they are trying to vaccinate EVERYONE in this last push. Use sisters residence address and bring along your passport.  

Best of luck and if you do, post it up over here for us, the bored & restless. 

Edited by LomSak27
  • Like 1
On 4/3/2021 at 6:53 AM, mtls2005 said:

The bigger issue is scheduling the 21 - 28 day trip, to account for the second shot, and then coordinating the return to Thailand.

Also, factor in the extra 14-day waiting period, after the last shot.  I had forgotten about this.  

1.2.2  Travelers must be vaccinated for more than 14 days before the traveling date

https://thaiembdc.org/2021/03/31/updated-regulations-to-enter-thailand-and-procedures-of-the-quarantine-effective-from-1-april-2021/

• Thanks 2