Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

NESDB says retiree needs 2.8 – 4 million baht savings to survive for the rest of life


Recommended Posts

NESDB says retiree needs 2.8 – 4 million baht savings to survive for the rest of life

 

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAi37U7l42cSrGjNZpBUAz5Tqs4K2rS1IK5m8ApZG.jpg

 

People in Thailand need retirement savings of between 2.8 and 4 million baht to survive for the rest of their lives, according to the National Economic and Social Development Board (NESDB) Secretary-General Danucha Pichayanan on Tuesday, referring to a special report, titled “Income Security for the Aged: For a Better Quality of Life”, authored by the government’s think-tank.

 

The report says that Thailand will officially become an aged society in the next two years and super aged society in the next 12 years, but the savings of older people will not be sufficient to live a modest life, unless the state promotes more saving by the public and tries to help retirees to develop a source of income after their retirement.

 

Citing a study on savings after retirement, Danucha said that a retiree in an urban area must have at least four million baht saved to survive after their retirement, or 2.8 million baht for those in rural areas.

 

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/nesdb-says-retiree-needs-2-8-4-million-baht-savings-to-survive-for-the-rest-of-life/

 

 

Logo-top-.png
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So just how many years of life expectancy are they basing that figure on?

 

I know they are talking about Thai people here, but in my case id have to around 70y.o  and dead before 80 to.make those figures work

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Most Thais already have a pension plan.

Leeching off their children.

After a life-time of reminding their kids that it was them that gave their children life, they want pay-back for what was probably a three minute drunken <deleted>.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Indeed and this is why many feel pressured to enter into the sex industry because money earned from menial jobs like 7/11 clerk or factory worker would not be enough to support the family.

 

In many cases they do not admit to their family where the money is coming from but it is implicitly condoned. 

 

If I ever had kids, and I made the wise decision to never have any as I value personal and financial freedoms over bringing more unnecessary bodies into the World, then I would try to ensure they had enough capital to venture out into the World on a solid footing.

 

Probably the most important consideration of having a family is to effect capital accumulation during your lifetime so the offspring have a better chance in life than you had. Otherwise why bother?

 

The Thai way is the wrong way round. You should be preparing for your children's future, not having them work to support you in your decrepit, pathetic state. 

 

Couldn't have put it better.......

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Can't see that myself,

When I came here as a single guy in 2009 I was spending 60kbht/month+

Now as a family of 4 in 2021, I spend around 40kbht/month.

Inflation for most expenses in Thailand over the past 11 years seems minimal, some significant costs have even become cheaper.

Assuming these old folk own their own land and grow a bit of fruit and veg on the side, there is no reason to assume their expenses will increase significantly.

Fair comment however I'm far less optimistic and tend to think in cycles. 

 

Thailand certainly may be more immune to the economic insanity going on in the West at the moment, however it will affect all countries thanks to globalisation.

 

Last time we saw looming economic crises of this magnitude at the start of the 20th century it ended up in tears, no reason that the outcome will be any different this time.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Indeed and this is why many feel pressured to enter into the sex industry because money earned from menial jobs like 7/11 clerk or factory worker would not be enough to support the family.

 

In many cases they do not admit to their family where the money is coming from but it is implicitly condoned. 

 

If I ever had kids, and I made the wise decision to never have any as I value personal and financial freedoms over bringing more unnecessary bodies into the World, then I would try to ensure they had enough capital to venture out into the World on a solid footing.

 

Probably the most important consideration of having a family is to effect capital accumulation during your lifetime so the offspring have a better chance in life than you had. Otherwise why bother?

 

The Thai way is the wrong way round. You should be preparing for your children's future, not having them work to support you in your decrepit, pathetic state. 

Yeah yeah bla bla, and prepare what future for the urbanites? Raise expectation educate and ease them into economic and corporate slavery?

Might not be the high life, but many Thai rural folks can support their children if necessary without fiat currency or bitcoin, maybe not a bad back up at all.

Do they need expensive vehicles?Mortgages,cash consuming properties? Gym membership? Nights out at expensive pubs and restaurants? Global travel? all to justify 60 hours a week sucked by working for others?

So the kids take pleasure in sending a bit of cash for a few treats, yeah lets rob them of that pleasure too grind them into the metropolis dirt!!

If it wasn't for the oldies they wouldn't be selling sex 😂..... er .......yes right

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the young Thais now who have a higher standard of living than previous generations to the point of foreign travel are going to have difficult old ages.  They make enough for a Thai middle class lifestyle now, but can't save for retirement and can't afford to buy apartments at least here in Bangkok.  The women seem to be marrying less, which is understandable given the quality of the average Thai male, but it's that much more difficult to build a financially secure life alone.

 

It's worrisome.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Don Chance said:

It is the same problem  for retirees all over the world: low interest rates. With 1.5% interest on fixed income you need about 1-2 million dollar in the bank to retire.

Naturally that depends greatly on how and where you live in retirement and the lifestyle you have before retirement. Your estimates are too simplistic to be very useful. Suffice it to say that more is better. 

 

Most Americans won't fare well in retirement. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/23/heres-how-much-americans-have-saved-for-retirement-at-different-ages.html

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Naturally that depends greatly on how and where you live in retirement and the lifestyle you have before retirement. Your estimates are too simplistic to be very useful. Suffice it to say that more is better. 

 

Most Americans won't fare well in retirement. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/01/23/heres-how-much-americans-have-saved-for-retirement-at-different-ages.html

 

True that.  Retirement is the most expensive thing you will every buy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Yeah yeah bla bla, and prepare what future for the urbanites? Raise expectation educate and ease them into economic and corporate slavery?

Might not be the high life, but many Thai rural folks can support their children if necessary without fiat currency or bitcoin, maybe not a bad back up at all.

Do they need expensive vehicles?Mortgages,cash consuming properties? Gym membership? Nights out at expensive pubs and restaurants? Global travel? all to justify 60 hours a week sucked by working for others?

So the kids take pleasure in sending a bit of cash for a few treats, yeah lets rob them of that pleasure too grind them into the metropolis dirt!!

If it wasn't for the oldies they wouldn't be selling sex 😂..... er .......yes right

It seems you are just deploring the very  common human experience of having to work to live. 

In reality many people find a sense of accomplishment and self-worth in their work, regardless of how strenuous it is. Granted that simple brute-force grunt labor becomes stultifying and degenerative, but there is a wide spectrum of opportunities in nearly all countries with variable rates of reward.

 

Poverty is not uplifting in any way, but earning a living for yourself and your family is a noble task. How the resultant income is spent is quite another issue, but that remains an individual choice and some people have poor judgment. That's hardly an indictment of entire economic systems. Financial wisdom is one of the most valuable lessons parents can give their kids. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cmarshall said:

 

True that.  Retirement is the most expensive thing you will every buy.

Close, but I think being with a woman claims the top spot.😏

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

It seems you are just deploring the very  common human experience of having to work to live. 

In reality many people find a sense of accomplishment and self-worth in their work, regardless of how strenuous it is. Granted that simple brute-force grunt labor becomes stultifying and degenerative, but there is a wide spectrum of opportunities in nearly all countries with variable rates of reward.

 

Poverty is not uplifting in any way, but earning a living for yourself and your family is a noble task. How the resultant income is spent is quite another issue, but that remains an individual choice and some people have poor judgment. That's hardly an indictment of entire economic systems. Financial wisdom is one of the most valuable lessons parents can give their kids. 

A home, and self sufficiency, opening up the choices of children is possibly as much of a benefit if not more than teaching 'financial wisdom'

Life on the treadmill of employment is not a ticket out of poverty for many, but merely an alternative method of subsistence

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...