'Starbucks of toilets' makes splash in Thailand

webfact

'Starbucks of toilets' makes splash in Thailand

Amid COVID wave, Mister Loo chain of public pay potties emerges as winner

ml.jpg

Mister Loo co-founders Andreas Wanner, left, and Dominik Schuler at the company's toilet facility in Bangkok. (Photo by Marimi Kishimoto)

MARIMI KISHIMOTO, Nikkei staff writer

BANGKOK -- A chain of pay public toilets has emerged as a major winner amid the COVID-19 pandemic in Thailand. The facilities are operated by Mister Loo, a Swiss startup that aims to become the "Starbucks of toilets." With public awareness of hygiene growing as the deadly virus spreads, the operator of upscale toilets is winning popularity in Southeast Asia by emphasizing their cleanliness.

"It's very clean, and there is no bad smell. It's worth spending 10 baht (33 cents)," Chanyarot, 48, said, after using a restroom operated by Mister Loo in a shopping mall in Bangkok's Chinatown. The wood-paneled booth is well air-conditioned, with popular Thai music playing in the background. A fragrant aroma fills the room.

On average, pay public toilets in Thailand, including those in tourist resorts, cost about 3 baht per use. Mister Loo charges 10 baht for air-conditioned "premium" toilets and 5 baht for regular ones. In the Chinatown mall, there are free toilets on another floor, but many choose Mister Loo.

Full story: https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Startups/Starbucks-of-toilets-makes-splash-in-Thailand

nk.jpg

-- © Copyright Nikkei Asian Review 2021-02-24

• Haha 1

Lol - the other day a bunch of us (me and some Thai friends) were down on Jomtien Beach. There was a standard "Thai" bathroom across the street - 10 baht (bring your own tissue).
About 50 meters up the road was another one - 5 baht (bring your own tissue).
Previous to that, near a spot we go to in North Pattaya, the closest public toilet is also 5 baht. Luckily most of them seem to be located close to a 7-11 or Family Mart (for those that don't use their left hand and/or need small change).

I don't think I've seen a "3 baht" toilet in 20 years. Not since the one on Soi Lucky next to the old Blues Factory.

As long as they maintain the facilities they'll probably do OK. If they follow the standard practise of making something new, then not doing any upkeep on it and letting it get filthy, stinky and rotting, then maybe not so much.

3 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Lol - the other day a bunch of us (me and some Thai friends) were down on Jomtien Beach. There was a standard "Thai" bathroom across the street - 10 baht (bring your own tissue).
Previous to that, near a spot we go to in North Pattaya, the closest public toilet is also 5 baht. Luckily most of them seem to be located close to a 7-11 or Family Mart (for those that don't use their left hand and/or need small change).

I don't think I've seen a "3 baht" toilet in 20 years. Not since the one on Soi Lucky next to the old Blues Factory.

As long as they maintain the facilities they'll probably do OK. If they follow the standard practise of making something new, then not doing any upkeep on it and letting it get filthy, stinky and rotting, then maybe not so much.

Victorian Government (Australia) invested years ago in ones which self cleaned between uses, and were physically inspected on daily basis to ensure the self flushing of pans,walls and floors worked along with other hygiene requirements

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

And that includes serious monitoring that the staff are actually following their laid down cleaning/sanitizing etc., routines.

3 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

"as the deadly virus spreads" ?  Give us a break with your nonsense and self serving drivel. Quoted statistics are almost 100% survival ????

well what about the millions dead across the world, and not all of them old or with underlying health problems. 500,000 in USA alone DEAD

Survivaal is not as clear cut as total immediate recovery, many have kidney, heart impairment following, not to mention ongoing respiratory issues, chronic pain and fatigue, as well sight and taste changes. 

Edited by RJRS1301
  • Like 2