I once met a man in Hanoi who warned me about spending too much time in Thailand.

Happiness can come from within, for certain people.

Others let their emotions rule them and eventually their environment take it's toll on their mental well being.

Not everyone has a thick skin, some people feel environmental insults more than others.

54 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Well given the output on Tvisa can't be denied Thailand brings out the less cheerful and negative side for some

I guess it's hard to lose the habit of following the daily news and somehow thinking it all greatly impacts your own daily existence

Living in a comfortable family bubble is not so distressing, easy not to take on the issues of others and the problems of the global village

I think you've inadvertently hit the nail on the head. It's not Thailand or Thai people who turn men into miserable misanthropes.......its Thai Visa.

As for the OP, I would have given him the same advice. Far better to have a career and raise a family in the west than in Thailand. I had 2 great kids, a wife I am still married to and no end of liaisons with memorable ladies before moving to Thailand for my retirement which was made possible by earning a very comfortable company pension in the West.

The West for living your life, Thailand for enjoying your retirement.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, WineOh said:

Others let their emotions rule them and eventually their environment take it's toll on their mental well being.

They allow emotions to rule them. Yes correct. 

Our emotions are within our control.

Therefore, the way you are feeling, is down to you.

Solly, na.

2 minutes ago, WineOh said:

only for some.

I imagine that you're someone who says:

"You make me so angry"

Other people, are not responsible, for your feelings.

Anyway, good thread Khun O, if though it appears to be wind-up.

4 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I used to be, if not funny, at least very witty but no longer. Why try when no one understands you, and anyway humour is the hardest part for a non native speaker/listener.

The opposite for me. Thais get off on visual humour. Slapstick. Even before I spoke Thai I had no problems making Thai girls laugh. Pulling funny faces, deliberately tripping myself up and my legendary "dad dancing" were always guaranteed to make them laugh. Now I speak a modicum of Thai and Issan and have them rolling in the aisles with my attempts at pronouncing certain words.

• Like 1

Anyone who comes here at an early age with the attention of staying needs their heads examining, including the crowd of so called 'teachers' of English, who are actually not qualified to teach anything.  Its just another drop out situation, an extended 'year out,' whatever the fxxk that means, hanging on to a colonial ideas of what life in Asia is all about.  My older kids told me that they were taking a year out before Uni to travel around Asia. I soon disabused them of that idea, telling them that they would get no financial support from me to do so.  Get qualified, get a job, make some money, then travel. Any reasonably thinking person from the West makes it there before moving here, bar the very few expats employed by international companies who are here longer term on expat packages. And before the real teachers, qualified PGCE or equivalent, teaching in International schools and the Universities start howling, I of course exempt you from my comments. So to summarise, the older Cornwall guy was just  bitter old drop out and the story teller, just a younger version of him. 

Edited by Pilotman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

And before the real teachers, qualified PGCE or equivalent, teaching in International schools and the Universities start howling, I of course exempt you from my comments. 

I don't exempt them. They would get a far better salary/pension plan doing the same job in the West. Their children would get a better education/job prospects in the West too.