I once met a man in Hanoi who warned me about spending too much time in Thailand.

WineOh

1 minute ago, polpott said:

My wife has worked with older people with mental health issues for many years (UK). Through observation we have come to the same conclusion. A nice young person becomes an even nicer old person as they mature. An unpleasant young person becomes a much more unpleasant person as they grow older. Its all about losing inhibitions in old age, which accentuate your natural characteristics.

Ergo: if you're a grumpy old man you probably weren't very nice to know when you were young.

What a massive, utterly meaningless  generalisation, that has no basis in fact, or in fiction. 

• Like 1

The OP met an Englishman adrift in Vietnam after becoming shipwrecked in Thailand. In non-nautical terms, he met someone with BBS (burned bridge syndrome). As long as the OP doesn't make Thailand (or Vietnam or any other country where he does not have the same legal rights and privileges as his home country) his Plan A, then he'll be OK. These overseas adventures are all the stuff of Plan B to Z so enjoy and make hay while the sun shines, etc..

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Agreed, I was a very nice young man and now a grumpy old one. 

Like most of us of retired years, it just means that you don't put up with the BS that younger people do.  You are also more realistic about the BS that comes out the mouths of others, or gets written anonymously on  forums, and seriously question the actions of those political leaders who just don't measure up.  That's not being grumpy, that is being wise with passing years, that is a totally normal development in any thinking individual. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Maybe I've been overly grumpy, so decided to reach out for friendship. 

My name is Albert, 82, and I live in Khon Kaen.

If anyone would like a game of dominoes and half a bitter please inbox me ???? 

at 82 your crypto knowledge is astounding. bravo papa. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Leaver said:

I guess now she is working on your issues for free.  ????

Sorry Polpott, couldn't resist.  ????

Odd fact: My first wife decided to train as a psychiatric nurse when we were courting.  My second wife decided to train as a psychiatric nurse when we were courting. Both had the same christian name too. Pure coincidence. 555

18 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

If you learn Thai, have a smile for everyone, even in the city, you'll have a happy life here--with fewer clothes.

Help people out & you help yourself.

Good for you - totally correct!

there is nothing wrong w/being the first to smile either... 

12 hours ago, polpott said:

Odd fact: My first wife decided to train as a psychiatric nurse when we were courting.  My second wife decided to train as a psychiatric nurse when we were courting. Both had the same christian name too. Pure coincidence. 555

That's quite unusual.  

Usually here, the first and second wives are prostitutes.   ????

• Haha 1

On 2/25/2021 at 10:31 AM, Pilotman said:

nearly right, the cadence is a bit off, but well done, its better than I can do.

On 2/25/2021 at 10:35 AM, Pilotman said:

How about:

I once met a man from Hanoi

who came up with a workable ploy

to forget all his total Thai fail

and bang some communist tail 

Better indeed.. the proof and the pudding... 

@WineOh

That guy you met in Vietnam is right. 

There are so many misinformation on the internet that it is the land of smile, inexpensive, accomodating etc.

1. Land of smile ?

I noticed we will only get smiles if you pass by massage parlors and bars when the girls beckon you. Or those people who want to fleece tourists by overcharging.

2.Inexpensive?

I agree that cost of living was inexpensive many years ago, but with the strong baht and prices of goods going up, this is no longer the case.

3.Accomodating? Mai ben rai?

Some of the most nasty people I have met are the government officers such as immigration, car road-tax renewal etc. What they say is the final word, there is no room for argument or mistakes tolerated by them. So this is another myth.

4. Communication

Most farang can't communicate with Thai people due to the poor English skills of Thai people.

Most farangs can't communicate with Thai people beyond ordering Pad Tai, Fried rice, burger etc , due to the fact that most farang find the Thai language too difficult beyond the basics.

Philippines might be a better place.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 1