Phuket retirees refused visa renewal for failing bank balance asked to apply for COVID visa

webfact

2 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Lucky that they are offered this option, and aren't getting deported for being on overstay or being told that they have to leave.

Your correct, theoretically the day they went below the 400,000 they went on overstay, for failing to meet the requirement of the current extension. That could mean on termination of the Covid extensions it's 7 days and bye bye

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

3 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I begin to understand the difference between "legal" and illegal agents. If you have bad luck a "legal" agent can become an illegal agent. A very insecure way to stay in Thailand. 

Why I'm still persevering with doing it myself, but I can see the day coming when I might want to go that route, even though I can meet all current criteria.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sweatalot said:

if I had such an agent visa I couldn't sleep peacefully. Who guarantees that the next crack down  will not invalidate all such visas and make me and the agent a criminal offender ?

probably only you as that is the only details recorded, the agents are only doing what you tell them so will probably get away without penalty.

In my 20 years in Thailand, I have never used an agent for doing a visa in Thailand. I have been on a Business Visa, Married Visa and Retirement visa. The Retirement visa is the easiest if you have the cash in the bank. Otherwise you will have to use an agent. I have a friend who uses the agent for a retirement visa; cost him 12K Baht.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, exparte said:

In my 20 years in Thailand, I have never used an agent for doing a visa in Thailand. I have been on a Business Visa, Married Visa and Retirement visa. The Retirement visa is the easiest if you have the cash in the bank. Otherwise you will have to use an agent. I have a friend who uses the agent for a retirement visa; cost him 12K Baht.

Thank you for your advice!

But, with respect , there is no such visa as a retirement visa.

Edited by LosLobo

I've never used an agent either, nor experienced any of the drama I read about online.  Retirement extensions based on deposit take a visit to the bank the day before and under 30 minutes at immigration the next day.  I understand that places like Jomtien and Bangkok may be more difficult due to being busier.

• Like 1