Phuket retirees refused visa renewal for failing bank balance asked to apply for COVID visa

webfact

Christ Y1,
I will let you know that you have brought out a law that has been obsolete for almost 10 years.
Those over 60 are not favored over those over 50.
Now, if you don't show 400,000 bs, blocked on your account for the whole year, then great.
Either you have a conciliatory agent, or the extension of our stay is different.

2 hours ago, Andyfez said:

Why is this news?

Many IOs do not check that the 800,000 Baht has been maintained after the previous extension for the required time, and that the balance has never fallen below 400,000 Baht UNTIL you do your next extension (e.g. they retrospectively check your bank balance for the critical dates.

This retrospective checking means that people may be non-compliant and will only realise when they come to do their current retirement extension (e.g. their balance fell below the required amount). It is a difficult situation and, in theory, the IO may deny people people their extension and give them 7 days to leave the country.

Some IOs require people on retirement extensions to report back at intervals to check compliance. This is in addition to 90 day reporting (which can be done online). The reporting form (stapled to the passport) is similar to the 90 day reporting form to remind the person of the critical dates for keeping the 800,000 Baht etc.

This is the first or second full year for the new post-approval thresholds and it would be easy to forget if you are used to the old system. The reminders (maybe written on the 90 day reporting form by the IO) would be useful in helping to avoid non-compliance, and finding out at the worst possible time (e.g. the day someone is applying for a new extension).

• Like 1

I understand that we need the 800.000/400.000. But why do we really need this amount (blocked)? For the case that we cannot pay bills anymore like hospital bills or for our funeral? I really don't know. But if so what will happen if you used an agent and this money does not exist? 

I had the chief tell me if I gave them 15,000 baht they would push me through. We settled for 12,000 and I was quickly processed. Left a bad taste in my mouth. Fortunately they moved on or were fired, and last year it was smooth and easy.

so how can an agent be illegal when they pull stunts like this?

1 hour ago, Ricebarnandrooms said:

??  Retirement is 800K. Must be in 3 months before and 3 months after renewal. Or a lump sum plus monthly pension from abroad to bring the total to 800k 

2 months before, 400k for 7 months then 800 after extension. Or combination as you say, but does not have to be PENSION money, can be from your ex-wife's immoral earnings or whatever as long as it comes into Thailand from abroad.

Cant see why they don't leave the 400,000 baht in  the account don't touch

Is what I do 

If you need to take out i take it for a emergency would mean to me may be you should have more money available  in a current account

Or as already mentioned use a agent each to his own 

38 minutes ago, Oldie said:

I understand that we need the 800.000/400.000. But why do we really need this amount (blocked)? For the case that we cannot pay bills anymore like hospital bills or for our funeral? I really don't know. But if so what will happen if you used an agent and this money does not exist? 

You can pay for whatever you want.  The money's still yours and it's not blocked from your access.  But then you can't stay in Thailand after your funeral.  (or whatever else causes you to dip below the required amount)  At least not on that type of extension.

If you use an agent, the problem goes away, for a fee.  What they do for that fee depends on which immigration office and your particular circumstances.  You don't want to know the details.

Monkey Business - Do not look

Monkey Business - Do not hear

Monkey Business - Just shut up

When will Thailand drop all the Monkey Business, and do the same as

ALL the other Countries around Thailand, and let people just pay for their Visa, or Extension ?

As is, the system is a perfect setup for corruption, Monkey Business Indeed.

51 minutes ago, Mansell said:

how can an agent be illegal when they pull stunts like this?

My believe is that the agents are owned by IO, well I don't believe, I have proof of it, but I can't post it here of course.

Currently they get checked from higher up I think.

I went for my extension a few days ago, and the guy who handled the application, had to take quite a few pictures, IMO to prove that I was applying in person.

One of the pictures was with the passport, open to the picture page, and held so that it showed my face as well.

Never seen that in previous years when applying. Only picture taken when pick up passport

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sirocco said:

Christ Y1,
I will let you know that you have brought out a law that has been obsolete for almost 10 years.
Those over 60 are not favored over those over 50.
Now, if you don't show 400,000 bs, blocked on your account for the whole year, then great.
Either you have a conciliatory agent, or the extension of our stay is different.

Don't use an agent....have a Non Imm. O stamped for retirement

1 hour ago, Susco said:

My believe is that the agents are owned by IO, well I don't believe, I have proof of it, but I can't post it here of course.

Currently they get checked from higher up I think.

I went for my extension a few days ago, and the guy who handled the application, had to take quite a few pictures, IMO to prove that I was applying in person.

One of the pictures was with the passport, open to the picture page, and held so that it showed my face as well.

Never seen that in previous years when applying. Only picture taken when pick up passport

They did the same with me when I applied in Jomtien almost a year ago. I didn't understand why. It just got on my nerves. Perhaps you are right. 

11 hours ago, jackdd said:

Lucky that they are offered this option, and aren't getting deported for being on overstay or being told that they have to leave.

Where exactly can he go, with the airports and borders closed. Geez, think before you become a keyboard warrior!! Also have some compassion!

13 hours ago, darksidedog said:

If he didn't have the money and he knew he didn't have it, I am surprised he didn't get an agent to do it for him.

Immigration have their rules, which you have to respect at the end of the day, whether you agree with them or not.

If there weren't a visa amnesty he wouldn't be being offered any new visa at all.

Man! You have been in Asia too tooooo long. In one sentence you suggest that the retiree game the system illegally by paying an agent to front up the money for him but in the next sentence you say that "immigration have their rules which you have to respect at the end of the day." You gave me the best laugh of the week, mate. Thanks!!

I am so happy that many people are starting in this country and I wish the situation to get worst during the next decades !

maybe then the idiots running this country will learn what is respect and that they should show it to people living here from money from abroad !

19 hours ago, darksidedog said:

If he didn't have the money and he knew he didn't have it, I am surprised he didn't get an agent to do it for him.

Immigration have their rules, which you have to respect at the end of the day, whether you agree with them or not.

If there weren't a visa amnesty he wouldn't be being offered any new visa at all.

..perhaps he secretly wants to return home, so he 'ran down' his balance and is dumping in their lap to deal with..IMHO.

I think all countries should have the same requirements Thailand has for foreigners to reside in Thailand. This way if Thais do not have money in that country bank, they need to be deported. 

Regardless if you are married to one, because they only want a ticket out and once they are out they in up divorcing the person which is another law that should be put in place to stop those young girls from marrying them sugar daddies. 

Every country has enough poor, why allow more uneducated poor to continue to feed off your country. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

How can you respect rules which allow them to turn a blind eye if they are offered enough to do so?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

I'm surprised that we haven't seen more reports of refusals for failing to keep 800,000 for 3 months after and then a minimum of 400,000 for the rest of the year. Maybe he honestly kept his head in the sand and didn't know about it, after all "it's never happened to me before" so it shouldn't happen now.

Wonder how many have already moved to agents.

QUOTE:

'it's never happened to me before" so it shouldn't happen now'.

Trump thinking.

Again with  "Foreigners", not a resident, not a tax payer, not a man...  but "Them"!!!!

Part of the problem, let's be part of the solution. 

Good for him! 

400k @ 8.0 % in an off shore bank or decent annuity is a little over 30000 baht per year.  No one here wants to lose money by being forced to do so, because its allegedly the law!

Why should this man lose the potential of earnings by keeping money in a Thai Bank?  

Again, another scam/scheme that continues to disuade people from spending they're hard earned life savings in Thailand. 

It would behoove us all to have this law modified ASAP

For all we know his mortgage is 40k baht per month and lives on a yacht with a wealthy 

Chinese woman enjoying they're lives  

For all we know he is a wiser man that finally is fed up and frustrated with losing money and is throwing himself into the grinder to see if they deport him or not. More power to him.

How about if he, or we should rretain receipt of every purchase we made, every tax we paid from import tax to vat over the past 10 years?

Let's say an average retiree spends 500k baht  per year here, for the last 10 years?  It would be financially incompetent of our government to deport him from Thailand.  What,? Because its the law?   

Laws are changed, modified, and voided every day, everywhere on the planet.

The government expects us to be accountants, bankers, attorneys and law enforcement officers, each and everytime we visit an immigration office.

However, we have to pay them by letting the Central Bank of Thailand make interest from our deposits; from our monies?

Im not paying to work for the immigration department. Neither should any retiree.

Something is not right here folks.

Think about it.

All (or most) of us here that are retired, are making money on investments we made in the past, so that we could retire to a destination of our free will and simultaneously be financially secure. 

Not lose money, by keeping it deposited in a Thai Bank yielding .02 % per year. 

In closing, I hope this publication tracks and follows this case of "The retired Man in Phuket who refused to lose money"

• Like 1
  • Sad 1