Thai PM set to get first jab - AstraZeneca - as first batch of two vaccines arrive today

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thai PM set to get first jab - AstraZeneca - as first batch of two vaccines arrive today

3pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Health minister and Deputy Prime Minister Anutin Charnvirakul told the press after a MoPH meeting yesterday that the first batches of Covid-19 vaccine would arrive today. 

There are 117,000 doses of AstraZeneca vaccine and the rest are Sinovac from China, reported Sanook.

Elsewhere it was reported that there are 200,000 doses of Sinovac in the first batch. 

PM Prayuth Chan-ocha will get the first dose, said Anutin, "because he is our leader".

He denied there was any favoritism connected to this.

"Lung Too" as Sanook referred to Prayuth, will be getting the AstraZeneca jab.

Anutin said this one didn't have any restrictions related to age. 

Dr Opas will be announcing the date of the PM's jab.

Anutin claimed that the AstraZeneca vaccine would have arrived earlier, even last month, but the firm had been concerned by what he called a "drama" at the end of last year and "didn't dare" send it. 

The health minister's comments can be seen in the context of criticism aimed at the Thai government for the slow rollout of vaccine, notes Thaivisa. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-24

Was it not 2 million doses of AZ that was offered for free, but denied...

where is the drama

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

He is so buddy buddy with China... why doesn't he get the Sinovac?

He didn't actually say which vaccine, loong too would be getting but probably the Sino vaccine, maybe he could have a bob each way and have astra as the first shot and Sinovac second. I've heard that idea touted as being a good way to get good immunity. 

He doesn't need immunity as he is already immune to every thing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, pseudorabies said:

How did the PM decide to go with the farang vaccine over the Chinese vaccine? Coin toss?

The Sinovac vaccine is will be administered to people aged between 18 and 59. Lung Too is 66.

35 minutes ago, Moonlover said:
7 hours ago, pseudorabies said:

How did the PM decide to go with the farang vaccine over the Chinese vaccine? Coin toss?

35 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

The Sinovac vaccine is will be administered to people aged between 18 and 59. Lung Too is 66.

24 minutes ago, pseudorabies said:

Thanks. I knew about this but there has been some question about the use and efficacy of the AZ vaccine in the elderly (65+) as well.

Why did you ask the question then?

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Anutin said this one didn't have any restrictions related to age. 

Actually it's the other way around. Astra Zeneca has not been tested on anyone older than 56 (sometimes quoted 56, sometimes 65), and it's mostly this vaccine that is not recommended for anyone older due to lack of testing. As for testing, it was probably the most shoddy certification testing attempt ever witnessed, with wrong doses administered, after wrong period of time for second dose, etc. Good part that came out of it was that lower doses were more effective, and longer periods of time between shots make vaccine more effective as well. Alas only 22% effective against South African strain...

Still, many times things are discovered by accident. Like strongest glue ever Post-Its. But this is something getting injected into our bodies. Surely they could have a little bit better testing plan and execution? Or has Oxford's academic skills all gone down the drain?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

i saw a picture of the bloke receiving the Chinese vaccine yesterday!!!

The headline was worded, that the leader of the country is showing everyone how safe the Chinese vaccine is, by having it himself!!!

Honestly............I just cannot believe anything i read anymore

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nickmondo said:

i saw a picture of the bloke receiving the Chinese vaccine yesterday!!!

The headline was worded, that the leader of the country is showing everyone how safe the Chinese vaccine is, by having it himself!!!

Honestly............I just cannot believe anything i read anymore

The photo was actually him getting the flu jab a couple of years back.

8 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

He is so buddy buddy with China... why doesn't he get the Sinovac?

It's already explained in another article. China's vaccine is proven safe to use in clinical trials for 18 to 59 years old and untested for 60 years and above. The Thai PM is over 60 years old.

Edited by EricTh