Raid on Huge Plant of Fake Products

webfact

Thailand has always been the land of fake from clothes , watches , jewelry etc etc that's why so many tourists came here full knowing that a lot of what was being sold in markets and on the streets was fake but was very cheap , i bought a fake Armani belt from a market back in 2007 and still using it today and very happy with it . Fake name brand golf shirts and shorts are another of my favorites and still wear them too .

• Like 1

These companies risking it all to make fake products just amaze me. If they have the ability to make the fakes, they could easily get it together to make real products of their own with minor twitches. What's the problem with this continuing? Is it no market access for other products? Is there no place to sell new products too? I understand the ease of faking a famous brand and selling that easily, but why would anyone with a brain capable of creation, someone with dignity and the funds to create these things risk it all on something so lowlife. Well, maybe they have the brain but not the creativity.

18 hours ago, keith101 said:

Thailand has always been the land of fake from clothes , watches , jewelry etc etc that's why so many tourists came here full knowing that a lot of what was being sold in markets and on the streets was fake but was very cheap , i bought a fake Armani belt from a market back in 2007 and still using it today and very happy with it . Fake name brand golf shirts and shorts are another of my favorites and still wear them too .

That makes you a criminal and a cheat. Are you one of the farangs who regularly sneers at the locals for their corruption and  non compliance with basic law and order?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Next we will be hearing that fake 2 Baht Coins are being made from the centers of 10 Baht Coins 

When I was a sprout back in the 50's we discovered that grinding just the very perimeter edge off a penny in shop class would work in the dime soda machines that dispensed into a paper cup. The shop teacher caught us within a week. 

The coin mechanisms in the machines in those days were pretty primitive. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Patong2021 said:

That makes you a criminal and a cheat. Are you one of the farangs who regularly sneers at the locals for their corruption and  non compliance with basic law and order?

If not buying stolen goods, any deal struck between seller and buyer is fair. 

Caveat emptor as been the rule of  commerce for thousands of years. 

The criminal and cheat accusation just escapes me entirely. What is his crime and whom did he cheat? 

As far as sneering goes, re-read your own post. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, keith101 said:

So true and that was part of the attraction to Thailand 15- 20 years ago . Everyone knew they were buying fakes or copies and did not care . I remember Louis Vuitton handbags being really popular and I for one bought many golf shirts and  friends did the same and took them back to the UK along with England football shirts that at the time the real ones were selling for around £50 and all the shops sold out . They made enough money  for their return flights to Thailand the following year .   

Footnote , the real England shirts had a hologram saying ENGLAND  , the copies said   ENDLAND .

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RocketDog said:

When I was a sprout back in the 50's we discovered that grinding just the very perimeter edge off a penny in shop class would work in the dime soda machines that dispensed into a paper cup. The shop teacher caught us within a week. 

We had a similar little scam going back in the early 70,s also.

It involved a 10P piece and a piece of Fishing Line in Public Telephones

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

We had a similar little scam going back in the early 70,s also.

It involved a 10P piece and a piece of Fishing Line in Public Telephones

Sure. That thing ran its course in more than one country on a variety of vending machines before the companies wised up. 5555

Speaking of pay phones, do you recall the days when the coins hit different chimes depending on coin value and the operator verified payment that way? 

Some clever folks learned to record and playback the sounds for free calls on toy tape recorders. That stumped the phone company for a while. It's sometimes more the challenge than the money involved. 

When Dick Gregory visited my college campus for a speaking tour in the early 70's he printed obviously fake dollar bills, in black and white, with his picture replacing Washington's as an advertising tool. Within hours every dollar bill changer on campus was empty of coins and stuffed with these bills. It was not considered counterfeiting by the FBI because the bills were not intentioned to used as currency. The vending company took the hit which then drove their technology forward. 

These things are arguably criminal but in the bigger scheme of things they are just pranks. 

On 2/24/2021 at 2:53 PM, keith101 said:

Thailand has always been the land of fake from clothes , watches , jewelry etc etc that's why so many tourists came here full knowing that a lot of what was being sold in markets and on the streets was fake but was very cheap

And this has impacted upon anyone who wants to sell something genuine........I am trying to sell an Omega De Ville watch, but already have had two people come back to me and say that it must be a fake if I'm selling it here in Thailand!!

33 minutes ago, xylophone said:

And this has impacted upon anyone who wants to sell something genuine........I am trying to sell an Omega De Ville watch, but already have had two people come back to me and say that it must be a fake if I'm selling it here in Thailand!!

but if you have the reg; no; and box it has traceability and authenticity , if not I would not be tempted to buy it . 

Even burglars know that such a valuable item is dodgy because of traceability . I am sure you know that there is a global log that is shared amongst jewelers that when offered the watch to buy they simply enter the watch number to see if it has been stolen .

Was it a legit buy ?  I won my Rolex Submariner in a card game 30 years ago and pawned it in eventually for a quarter of the value cos no log book etc .  

BTW what model is your Omega De Ville ?    Copies have little resemblance to the real item and I think the people who enquired for your watch were time wasters  ( forgive the pun )

12 minutes ago, superal said:

but if you have the reg; no; and box it has traceability and authenticity , if not I would not be tempted to buy it . 

Even burglars know that such a valuable item is dodgy because of traceability . I am sure you know that there is a global log that is shared amongst jewelers that when offered the watch to buy they simply enter the watch number to see if it has been stolen .

Was it a legit buy ?  I won my Rolex Submariner in a card game 30 years ago and pawned it in eventually for a quarter of the value cos no log book etc .  

BTW what model is your Omega De Ville ?    Copies have little resemblance to the real item and I think the people who enquired for your watch were time wasters  ( forgive the pun )

Well there is a registration number which I have quoted, and there is also a serial number, which is traceable on the Omega website, and it has been inspected by a reputable jeweller who repairs Rolex and Omega in Phuket, and who says it is genuine (he has taken the back off and inspected the workings therein).

Not only that it looks immaculate and is nothing like any copies I've ever seen, and it was bought from a reputable dealer in the USA and he gave me a guarantee with it, which basically said that if I wasn't satisfied he would buy it back!

It's a lovely looking watch with an 18k gold bezel and a stainless steel strap (Omega original) and it's called the Omega De Ville Symbol because of the gold symbol on the bezel.

Anyway I can't go on much more because I've been warned by the mods (rightly so too) that I am not allowed to advertise anything, so if you want more info, then by all means send me a PM.

However, I agree with you about the pun "time wasters" as I met one particular Russian guy in Patong, and he wanted to take it away to find out if it was genuine – – take it away?? When I politely refused and said that I would come with him to any watchmaker he wanted to verify it, he cried off.

I suspect that I wouldn't have seen that watch again if I had let him take off with it!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RocketDog said:

Ah, the good old days! We used to trace a coin onto cardboard about the thickness of a baseball card and insert it into the coin slot of the machines with M&Ms, peanuts etc. You turn the handle, the fake coin doesn't drop, you keep turning the handle. Eventually the edge begins to wear and you have to start over.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ramrod711 said:

Ah, the good old days! We used to trace a coin onto cardboard about the thickness of a baseball card and insert it into the coin slot of the machines with M&Ms, peanuts etc. You turn the handle, the fake coin doesn't drop, you keep turning the handle. Eventually the edge begins to wear and you have to start over.

I think it's human nature to find ways to outsmart machines. It is more about 'sticking it to the Machine' than to 'the Man'. Maybe a latent fear that they will get smarter than us. That's well-founded too. I think that day has arrived already. 

The most annoying thing now is that computers can completely screw things up and complaints bring the infuriating reply: "I can't help you. The computer did it." So they already accept their subjugation to machines without a whimper. 

Sometimes I think my 'Best when used by' date has passed. 

On 2/25/2021 at 4:43 AM, ramrod711 said:

Back in college, we'd put tape over quarters to increase their diameters so they could be wedged tightly into the circles on the coin feed slider so that they wouldn't drop into the machine.  The machine would detect the quarters and I got two years of free laundry doing that!