Renew Drivers Licenses on Covid Extension ?

Jaymatheson

I received Thai car and motorcycle licenses while on a non-imm b with work permit.

The 2 licenses are now more than 1 year expired.

I'm currently on a Covid Extension... initially a METV.

Is it possible for me to renew them with a Proof of Address certificate from immigration & medical form?

15 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It would depend upon the DLT office where you apply at. Some will do them for tourist visa entries but others will not.

Okay, thanks.

I was told that since my licenses are more than a year expired I have to sit in the DLT office for up to 5 hours doing something.... but supposedly not actually driving.  Any idea what is involved?

Most DLT’s will issue a 2 year temp on a Visa Exempt entry (or they used to) and pretty much all will do so with a Tourist Visa. 

Your existing licences are more than 1 year out of date. Thus you cannot renew them and will need to ’start over’ from scratch again.

You can use your home country Licence (if in English) or home country Licence+IDP (if not English), along with Medical Cert, Affirmation of Residence document and your existing Visa Stamp to apply for a 2 Year Temp Licence. 

You will need to do the room based tests (colour blindness checks, traffic light peripheral vision test, Brake reaction test, proximity ’sticks’ test) and then watch the 45min video.

IF your current Visa Exemption (Covid-19 extension ????) is not accepted, try a different DLT. 

2 minutes ago, Jaymatheson said:

Okay, thanks.

I was told that since my licenses are more than a year expired I have to sit in the DLT office for up to 5 hours doing something.... but supposedly not actually driving.  Any idea what is involved?

Do you have an existing licence from your home country  ???

Which country? You may or may not require an IDP.

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the info.

I was originally on a METV, then went through the amnesty days and now on a Covid Extension.

I have a valid Canadian license.

Last time I applied for Thai licenses it was pretty simple.  I watched a video that had nothing to do with my situation for around an hour, did the colour blind & peripheral tests, and that was it.