First application for a Thai driving licence

Adelphi

Hi.  I live in Pattaya and I have a UK driving licence for car and motorbike but no International Driving Licence.  I wish to make first time applications for Thai driving licences.  I would be grateful based on recent experience if any one can advise on any of the following questions regarding my proposed applications.   Thank you very much in advance for any advice you can give.

1. Does the local Land Transport office insist on you having an International Driving Licence?

2. Is there any way for me to get an International Driving Licence in Thailand.  I have looked on the net but found no helpful information.

3. Can anyone based on their own experience recommend a reputable agent who could assist me?

11 minutes ago, Adelphi said:

Hi.  I live in Pattaya and I have a UK driving licence for car and motorbike but no International Driving Licence.  I wish to make first time applications for Thai driving licences.  I would be grateful based on recent experience if any one can advise on any of the following questions regarding my proposed applications.   Thank you very much in advance for any advice you can give.

1. Does the local Land Transport office insist on you having an International Driving Licence?

2. Is there any way for me to get an International Driving Licence in Thailand.  I have looked on the net but found no helpful information.

3. Can anyone based on their own experience recommend a reputable agent who could assist me?

I can clear up the first one - no, IDP's (Permits, not Licences) can only be obtained in the country where your licence was issued.

Even if you didn't have a licence from home you could still get a Thai one by taking their test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Adelphi said:

A UK Licence is fine (no need for an IDP when applying for a Thai Drivers or Motorcycle Licence).

You have no need for an IDP if you have a UK licence. 

This is something which is incredibly easy for you to do yourself - there is no need whatsoever for an agent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Adelphi said:

2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

This is something which is incredibly easy for you to do yourself - there is no need whatsoever for an agent.

Yes, even my father at 72 managed it by himself without an agent to hold his hand and smooth the way with a "brown envelope".

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Throwing 5000 Baht for taxi, queue cutting, holding hands.

Edited by KhunBENQ

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Particularly in Pattaya where they have experience with foreigners.

A bit more difficult up here due to language barrier.

48 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Throwing 5000 Baht for taxi, queue cutting, holding hands.

i do suspect with an agent you do not fail the test though! Possibly not even take it????

Edited by poohy
  • Haha 1

I've been driving in Thailand for nearly half my life, but I missed the opportunity to buy a Thai DL when it was only 500b.

Never crashed, despite having to avoid quite a few attempts from the locals trying to crash into me, during the hundreds of kilometres I've clocked up. Now, it looks like first class insurance now requires a Thai DL to be fully covered, unlike before and as I get older and hopefully a little bit wiser, I don't want to end up being arrested due to the inability to drive from the every increasing number of people, now on the roads.

Apart from skipping the queue, what does the 5000b to the agent help with? Skipping the queue and the road sign test? In the video the guy said he doesn't what the driving schools, across the road, actually do, but from what I have heard in Pattaya, is that most of the locals who don't want to queue from the early morning use them that do pretty much the same as all the agents, but you have to take the road sign test, at a much cheaper price.

Anyone who has some up-to-date, cost-effective info would be much appreciated. Regards

11 hours ago, Adelphi said:

Some years ago they would accept foreign licences providing they were valid and were in English, so no IDP required. Although an Australian nearby had issues using his, along with some print-off from the internet.  Good luck...

• Like 1