Expats & street dogs

I was just reading a Face Book page of a expat in Thailand who loves the street dogs .

My experience with them is far less than glamorous where once  last year in a village deep in issaan I visited a temple 

I couldn't see any monks but I could hear barking in the distance 

About 40 minutes later I'm surrounded by the most aggressive pack of dogs ever .

They I believe we're going to kill me .

Luckily a passing villager on a bike stopped ...and I was getting on..the dogs tried to lunge at me ..

Reading this farang  guys FB  page I'm thinking maybe doggie treats might work and carry around.

But I'm asking you guys seriously especially villagers about what works 

And I may add...if you try to defend yourself from these dogs animal lovers like the farang below may turn on yiu...so U need to be I guess cautious where U throw rocks to defend ( other wise may end up with a broken jaw)

Anyway getting back to this expat (Pattaya apparently) farang he wrote ......    

""""""""The picture I posted is of a rock a guy threw at a street dog. He seem to have a bag full of them.  He ran off like a ltttle rock throwing bitch,  when I crossed the road to break his jaw.  Whats even funnier, when he run off he left his two young children just standing there.   His kids will always remember him as the rock throwing bitch, who ran away"

I reached in my bag and grabbed a hand full of doggie treats (which I always carry with me  and I slowly put the doggie treats onto the ground.  

Instantly all three dogs started wagging their tails.  

This is not rocket science people. I seriously see guys walking around with sticks and rocks in their hands.  

And dog treats weigh 1/10 the weight of rocks,  and would be far more effective.  

Just a little bag of doggie treats and all of the street dogs in your neighbourhood,  will become your best friend"""""

Edited by georgegeorgia

1 hour ago, JetsetBkk said:

They were just playing. I've never been attacked by the "mountain" dogs after many years. And they are cute, even when hungry...

9 dogs obviously born by the same female dog. And these 9 dogs will create more dogs and... How should this end? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

The reality is, if more and more people are walking around with ‘doggie treats’ in their pocket they will attract more stray dogs

Yes this is  like the dogs who  lie  in the road as theyv'e  learnt Thais  will drive around them, unfortunately for the dogs they can't  read Farangs minds, but some have learnt by me .

• Like 1

Just now, gunderhill said:
8 minutes ago, JetsetBkk said:

More like the tone of the voice that keeps them calm. Or maybe it's because I'd been feeding them for a long time...

Expand  

And   do you help any other wildlife, you  know the real wild life.

Yes, monkeys. I don't have any videos of me feeding them because they are too aggressive and I need both hands to fend them off when they get a bit too antsy. But still pictures I have:

Monkeys.jpg.0fa0270166d07817f7347485bc53cc9e.jpg

And videos from a distance:

There’s a lady on my soi who feeds the local strays 2 times per day. So, obviously they congregate. My main concern isn’t getting attacked so much as they’re really not aggressive, quite the opposite in fact.

It’s just that the soi is a doggy minefield morning and night. Combined with a lack of street lighting and it gets messy sometimes.

2 of my 3 bitches are on their period right now.  The neighbourhood dogs are a constantly trying to get in to my garden to screw them and their have been many "who is the boss" brawls outside my gate.  Just too many dogs.  Mostly they are <deleted> scared of humans if you shout at them or stamp your feet.  A noise deterent is probably best if a pack are harassing you.  

On 2/25/2021 at 5:34 PM, nikmar said:

There’s a lady on my soi who feeds the local strays 2 times per day. So, obviously they congregate. My main concern isn’t getting attacked so much as they’re really not aggressive, quite the opposite in fact.

It’s just that the soi is a doggy minefield morning and night. Combined with a lack of street lighting and it gets messy sometimes.

Yes.  Crowded.

Edited by smi11ie
Social lubrication