Help!! with a Thai address please

seancar29

Hi, I really need help with this.

I have just signed up with Transferwise as I'm fed up paying Nationwide everytime I send money to Thailand.

They have asked for the sister in laws home address with the bank details.

It seems that each way I try to write it in English they bounce the money back.

Is there anyone here that can translate for me in the way I will need to write it for Transferwise so that TMB don't bounce it back?

The address is - 

สุกัญญา กองหนองฮู
ม. 7
ต. ลำเลียง
อ. กระบุรี
จ. ระนอง

I really hope that there are some clever bods here that can help, thanks in advance

Cheers
Sean

42 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

Sukanya Kongnonghu

139 Moo7

Tambon Lamliang

Amphoe Kraburi

Changwat Ranong 

The 139 looks a bit unusual.  I would normally expect 2 numbers separated by a slash.  139/xx or xx/139  - maybe double check this number?

Doesn't look wrong to me as

My house number is 35, the younger sister-in-law is 182, we are next to each other on the same side of the road, the elder sister is 63/1, the house is actually behind mine, 63 is 4 houses along the Moo and 1 back from the road (it's the mother of the elder sisters husband).

In villages numbers are on a first come first served basis, I was given a list of unused numbers and asked to select, in saying that I could have had 182/1 or 63/2 without any problems. How the post office manage to deliver mail I very often wonder. I'm lucky in that I'm currently the only farang in the Moo or Soi as it's called in cities.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

Sukanya Kongnonghu

139 Moo7

Tambon Lamliang

Amphoe Kraburi

Changwat Ranong 

Is this the same address as you gave TMB that may be the problem, or provide your name against the address, I had no problem registering with TransferWise (or Wise as they want to be known as now) using my Thai address, however I did omit the Tambon/Amphoe/Changwat elements, treating it as a UK style address format which automatically assumes local/city/county on each subsequent line entry.

Just make sure I understand it correct:

You have successfully signed up with Transferwise? (it's not your address that is the problem)

You want to send money to the sister in law's TMB bank account?

Money comes back?

I am surprised that you need to specify the address of the recipient.

Have you got pictures or scans of the sister in law's Thai ID card and the bankbook page with account number and name?

These are the only documents that can show you the spelling as it is used and of course the account number (double checked already?).

Transcripts of names unfortunately can vary and not follow rules.

We have misc different "English" spellings of family names within the clan.

Sorry if I misunderstood the OP.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Yes, absolutely usual in "ban lek thi" (small villages without street names/numbers).

Our sister in law's house is at "8 MOO 1".

"1" being the "moo ban" subdivision (settlement) within the village (kind of "neighborhood").

"8" being a "house number" within this moo ban (not mix up with house number in the "blue book").

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seancar29 said:

I have just signed up with Transferwise as I'm fed up paying Nationwide everytime I send money to Thailand.

Thanks for the info. I have just signed up too, but haven't done a transfer yet. 6 quid for a transfer is lot better (14 quid better, actually) than using Nationwide and SWIFT.

And you see the exact rate that you will get.

Edited by JetsetBkk
Typo and exact rate comment
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the help so far.

Sent the money to transferwise just waiting for them to acknowledge receipt. It then will be sent to TMB

Just have to wait to see if it gets there.

I thought it was unusual for the home address to be given. With Nationwide they want the particular branch of the bank that they are registered with. Used them for the last 15 years without a problem. 

It will be worth the perseverance to save money. Nationwide charge £20 and this transfer will be only £2.65 (if it happens)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Yes, absolutely usual in "ban lek thi" (small villages without street names/numbers).

Our sister in law's house is at "8 MOO 1".

"1" being the "moo ban" subdivision (settlement) within the village (kind of "neighborhood").

"8" being a "house number" within this moo ban (not mix up with house number in the "blue book").

They should be the same, when you build a house you pick a number for the Phu Yai Ban's book, then you go to the Amhoe to register it and the number of people that are to be registered at that address (and where they were previously registered) in order to get the blue book "Tabien Bann"

1 hour ago, foreverlomsak said:

My house number is 35, the younger sister-in-law is 182, we are next to each other on the same side of the road, the elder sister is 63/1, the house is actually behind mine, 63 is 4 houses along the Moo and 1 back from the road (it's the mother of the elder sisters husband).

In villages numbers are on a first come first served basis, I was given a list of unused numbers and asked to select, in saying that I could have had 182/1 or 63/2 without any problems. How the post office manage to deliver mail I very often wonder. I'm lucky in that I'm currently the only farang in the Moo or Soi as it's called in cities.

I live in 9 Moo 8.

My next door neighbour has 2 houses. 9/3 and 9/5.

My wife has some land and a shop 2km up the road at 9/4.

We have no idea where 9/1 and 9/2 are and neither does the post office.

2 hours ago, seancar29 said:

Hi, I really need help with this.

They have asked for the sister in laws home address with the bank details.

It seems that each way I try to write it in English they bounce the money back.

Is there anyone here that can translate for me in the way I will need to write it for Transferwise so that TMB don't bounce it back?

The address is - 

สุกัญญา กองหนองฮู
ม. 7
ต. ลำเลียง
อ. กระบุรี
จ. ระนอง

I really hope that there are some clever bods here that can help, thanks in advance

Cheers
Sean

Sukanya Kong Nong Hu
139 Moo 7
T. ?
Kraburi
Ranong

Edited by upu2

2 hours ago, seancar29 said:

With Nationwide they want the particular branch of the bank that they are registered with. Used them for the last 15 years without a problem. 

It will be worth the perseverance to save money. Nationwide charge £20 and this transfer will be only £2.65 

I, too, have been using SWIFT with Nationwide - for nearly 20 years. All those "20 quids" add up. I used to wait until I transferred a large amount so the 20 quid fee didn't feel so bad.

My last big transfer was just before Chinese New Year. Big mistake. Did the transfer on a Wednesday afternoon Thai time, should've arrived Thursday. Didn't. Friday - didn't...Eventually arrived on Monday morning.

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

I live in 9 Moo 8.

I've changed the actual house numbers but not the Moo numbers in this little story...

I live at 56/2 Moo 7

100 yards away (at the back of my house) is 56/2 Moo 2.

The number of times a delivery man calls me to say "I'm at your gate" and I have to explain "Oh no you're not!"....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, billd766 said:

I live in 9 Moo 8.

Maybe your 9 is 9/1 and there is or was a 9/2.

I say this because In Old Sukhothai on same land the mum's house is 4. daughters house 4/2 and other daughter house 4/3 and our house 4/4 my wife is a daughter. 

• Like 1

The upshot was that the system transferwise use for you to enter the account number will only 10 digits.

Fine as TMB account number is ten digits but add the dashes make it 13.

They have arranged for the account number to be typed in as numbers only then they will have someone put the dashes in before it is offered to the Thai bank.

It's taking 3 days as opposed to 30 seconds.

We will see over the weekend i suppose.

Sean