Former PDRC protest leader Suthep and 25 others sentenced to prison terms

webfact

13 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

Do you really believe that the military/Prayut acted out of altruism?

Did Yingluck deserve the turmoil? Of course she did, her government was corrupt and inept.

As for legit military intervention to quell unrest inside the country, the correct way is for the government to decide on it, check the legality and announce and order the intervention.

But you've already stated:  "Did Yingluck deserve the turmoil? Of course she did, her government was corrupt and inept." That implies that there could be a lack of confidence that the Yingluck government would have gone the 'correct way'.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, VincentRJ said:

But you've already stated:  "Did Yingluck deserve the turmoil? Of course she did, her government was corrupt and inept." That implies that there could be a lack of confidence that the Yingluck government would have gone the 'correct way'.

It was corrupt, but not more than other governments pre-Thaksin or post-coup. The corrupt Suthep as herald of anti-corruption! What a joke! ????

She did what any democratic government should do when it's legitimacy is challenged: she allowed citizen to vote her out by organising anticipated elections. Of course, there was no way the dominant network would have allowed plain citizen to have a choice on who should govern them!

Edited by candide
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Just out of curiosity...

How is what they did different from what Prayut and his friends did?

Didn't they both try to overthrow the legal government?

Is insurrection legal in Thailand if you succeed?

Does Thai law make a special provision if you are a member of the military?

Just askin'

You're not really curious, you already know the answer ????

13 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

It's very different. Those protesters of Yingluck's government were fueling continual political unrest which could have escalated into complete chaos if the military had not intervened to take control.

The military didn't intervene because they disagreed with Yingluck's policies and/or because they became aware of signs of corruption  in the government. They intervened in order to create stability.

It is those protesters who were the cause of the military coup.

To continue their own corruption unhindered by amateurs

• Like 2

9 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

You seem confused. The military is not a cause. It's an organization funded by the people, through their taxes, and exists in order to protect the society from disruptive intruders. The military was just doing its job when it took over control. Would you prefer a situation like what happened recently at Capitol Hill in Washington?

Well to start with internal unrest is a police matter, certainly not a military matter who are supposedly charged with protecting the country from disruptive intruders coming from outside of Thailand - - plus it seems you need to check who the instigators were behind every coup in Thailand todate. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

In most other countries this would be astonishing and sensational news - Three serving Cabinet Ministers convicted and jailed!!!

But here in Thailand it hardly seems to be news? The convicted Ministers have lost their posts (by stint of their convictions regardless of whether or not they end up doing any jail time), but will keep their parliamentary salaries and pensions. I guess in Thailand it is possible to be a serving member of parliament while in jail.

Why not, you still have a convicted criminal running the biggest and most popular political party while in exile, that would seem to indicate that anything is possible. 

19 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Just out of curiosity...

How is what they did different from what Prayut and his friends did?

Didn't they both try to overthrow the legal government?

Is insurrection legal in Thailand if you succeed?

Does Thai law make a special provision if you are a member of the military?

Just askin'

Good questions! Although I have utmost contempt for Suthep.

14 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

You seem confused. The military is not a cause. It's an organization funded by the people, through their taxes, and exists in order to protect the society from disruptive intruders. The military was just doing its job when it took over control. Would you prefer a situation like what happened recently at Capitol Hill in Washington?

Don't be confused, the Thai military's first function is to protect the royals and their assets

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BobBKK said:

So the court, finally, admits the coup was illegal ergo those that took part in an illegal act Mr Prime Minister? lock him up

Can't be considered too serious seeing as how they have been bailed. 

Edited by Artisi
  • Sad 1

On 2/25/2021 at 6:34 AM, VincentRJ said:

It's very different. Those protesters of Yingluck's government were fueling continual political unrest which could have escalated into complete chaos if the military had not intervened to take control.

The military didn't intervene because they disagreed with Yingluck's policies and/or because they became aware of signs of corruption  in the government. They intervened in order to create stability.

It is those protesters who were the cause of the military coup.

You do realise that Suthep and his armed thugs were responsible for the ousting of the democratically elected Yingluk government.

Do you honestly believe that these thugs were "protesters of Yingluck's government"? This seems to infer that they were supporters of Yingluk. Maybe you meant to say that they were protesting against Yingluk.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Red Forever said:

You do realise that Suthep and his armed thugs were responsible for the ousting of the democratically elected Yingluk government.

Do you honestly believe that these thugs were "protesters of Yingluck's government"? This seems to infer that they were supporters of Yingluk. Maybe you meant to say that they were protesting against Yingluk.

I didn't address the political position of the protesters. I wasn't in Thailand at the time. However, it makes sense that the protests were against the Yingluck government, and it makes sense that the military intervened in order to maintain stability.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/25/2021 at 1:38 AM, mfd101 said:

Don't worry, noone will be going to jail. Suspended sentences (already dealt out to many of the accused) + appeals will ensure that everyone can continue to sleep soundly in their own beds.

Symbolism continues to win out over reality in this deeply Buddhist land. (Not much different in that regard from any other country you can think of.)

I think you're right although the 'deeply  Buddhist' bit might be stretching it. There have been times when I've followed Buddhist teachings more closely than many Thais and I'm closer to an atheist. 

Used to be pro disposal of YL, still am but not pro Prayut as he is as corrupt as YL was. I guess it does not matter who is in charge they are all corrupt. Still i rather see a future forward in power. A bit more fair play during elections not what they did with future forward. (if there is anything that really ticks me off its how the FFW was disbanded because of a technicality) While they have no problem with a drug dealer as a minister. 

There were good reasons to dispose of YL, but Prayut unlike coup generals before did not leave fast. He stayed and is still here. Can only hope that next time he gets disposed. Though I don't hold much hope for a government without corruption in this country. Its too deeply ingrained. Once they are a the top they will do whatever they can to stay there no matter how corrupt or inept they are.

Sad but i still like living in Thailand despite of it all. 

• Like 1