Covid vaccinations

eljuwa

Greetings

I live in Chiang Mai

I wish to know if I can purchase the Covid vaccine from a hospital or from the private sector in Chiang Mai.

If not when do you think it will be available to foreigners

Thanks

James

• Haha 1

nobody knows, sometimes end of year.

get MMR to boost your immune system. Also pneumonia prevnar 13 (for over 65 or with underlying, or tell them you are smoker), good to have it in case of co-infection.

doctors also push flu vax.

also in this way you will become patient of this hospital, they might inform you when they have covid vax and you might be on the priority list if you tell them your medical conditions

Edited by internationalism

On 2/25/2021 at 5:41 AM, internationalism said:

get MMR to boost your immune system. Also pneumonia prevnar 13 (for over 65 or with underlying, or tell them you are smoker), good to have it in case of co-infection.

MMR or BCG? There's actually some research suggesting BCG may protect from Covid-19; IDK about MMR...

EDIT: some evidence that MMR also protects from Covid-19; clinical trials for OPV have been registered, but apparently not yet concluded.

Edited by onebir

yes, tuberculosis BCG booster would be good to also have now. Probably 1 (out of 2) jabs will be sufficient. It's available widely in thailand so probably also cheap.

MMR won't protect from covid, but improve general immunity.

doctors also push flu jab, but somehow I don't trust this vaccine, low efficacy 40%. Might allow coronaviruses to enter, probably that was the case in italy during the first wave. Italy had the highest in europe 70% population flu vax. Some other countries in europe have only 3% and did not suffer from covid  

I also emailed Bangkok Hospital Pattaya and Pattaya Memorial hospital about the same enquiry. No answer from either as yet... Pity, as I am sure there are plenty of expats who may well pay for an earlier access to the vaccine.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 11:37 PM, internationalism said:

yes, tuberculosis BCG booster would be good to also have now. Probably 1 (out of 2) jabs will be sufficient. It's available widely in thailand so probably also cheap.

MMR won't protect from covid, but improve general immunity.

doctors also push flu jab, but somehow I don't trust this vaccine, low efficacy 40%. Might allow coronaviruses to enter, probably that was the case in italy during the first wave. Italy had the highest in europe 70% population flu vax. Some other countries in europe have only 3% and did not suffer from covid  

What countries in Europe didn't suffer from covid?

I am talking about the first wave. Out of some 44 countries in europe, belgium, italy, spain, france were most the affected. With up to 600 deaths per million.

There were many below worlds average 40/mln. Czech republic was long shown as an example of escaping the first wave.

Those below worlds average I do call not suffering, doing well.

I am not comparing second and up to fifth waves. They took place after winter 2019/20 danger of common flu passed

19 hours ago, internationalism said:

I am talking about the first wave. Out of some 44 countries in europe, belgium, italy, spain, france were most the affected. With up to 600 deaths per million.

There were many below worlds average 40/mln. Czech republic was long shown as an example of escaping the first wave.

Those below worlds average I do call not suffering, doing well.

I am not comparing second and up to fifth waves. They took place after winter 2019/20 danger of common flu passed

First of all, nice try. Why limit it to the first wave? And what has flu got to do with this? In fact, flu has been almost non-existent in the latest flu seasons both in the northern and southern hemisphere. And, no, it's not because cases of flu are being called covid. Actually testing shows that flu prevalence was very low. Which makes sense since it's a lot less contagious than Covid, so even more susceptible to transmission being blocked thanks to social distancing, improved hand sanitation, and masking.

On 2/26/2021 at 11:37 PM, internationalism said:

doctors also push flu jab, but somehow I don't trust this vaccine, low efficacy 40%. Might allow coronaviruses to enter, probably that was the case in italy during the first wave. 

Are you saying that somehow flu vaccinations and covid infections are correlated? That's what you seem to be asserting.

I did write " They took place after winter 2019/20 danger of common flu passed", so only the first wave was related to flu vax. 

I don't know how big vax program for flu was in 2020/21 season. In some countries in europe acute shortage, too small production and over demand. And how it's related to next waves.

What I have read the last year, flu vax allowed coronaviruses to enter and develop within the first 3 months after shot.

Epidemiological situation in europe is fluid, an example of czech republic. But also sweden - they use to be around 8th in mortality per 1mln.

As I don't live in europe anymore and don't have much connection now through tourism from europe, I don't have need to follow closely and up to date. 

Flu vac was just a surprise offer from the travel clinic when I went to visit them in february - they have refused me to take pneumonia (because it's recommended for over 65), but offered flu (which is recommended for over 60). I am below 60.

Pneumonia vax is highly effective, and flu only in 40-60% 

11 minutes ago, internationalism said:

I did write " They took place after winter 2019/20 danger of common flu passed", so only the first wave was related to flu vax. 

I don't know how big vax program for flu was in 2020/21 season. In some countries in europe acute shortage, too small production and over demand. And how it's related to next waves.

What I have read the last year, flu vax allowed coronaviruses to enter and develop within the first 3 months after shot.

Epidemiological situation in europe is fluid, an example of czech republic. But also sweden - they use to be around 8th in mortality per 1mln.

As I don't live in europe anymore and don't have much connection now through tourism from europe, I don't have need to follow closely and up to date. 

Flu vac was just a surprise offer from the travel clinic when I went to visit them in february - they have refused me to take pneumonia (because it's recommended for over 65), but offered flu (which is recommended for over 60). I am below 60.

Pneumonia vax is highly effective, and flu only in 40-60% 

If you're claiming that somehow flu vaccinations lead to more covid cases that's false.

And while flu vaccinations may not prevent infection, even in those who do come down with flu after being vaccinated on average suffer much less severe symptoms than do the unvaccinated..

Some private hospitals here have polled their patient database via an email link, to get a feel for what they might prefer regarding vaccines.

I can see some hospitals offering a vaccination package as part of their range of ASQ offers. (I assume unvaccinated "tourists" will still have to quarantine?)

There has been some movement on local FDA approvals for other vaccines, but who knows if this makes any headway given the local franchisee for the AZ vaccine.

Still hoping for some choice on vaccine, and availability in Q4 2020, in the 6,500 - 10,000 baht range until I hear something more firm.

On 3/5/2021 at 4:01 PM, internationalism said:

There's no evidence of this that I can find. According to results published in the Journal of Clinical and Translational Science:

Using overlap propensity score weighting, influenza vaccination was unrelated to the incidence of SARS-CoV-2 infection. Among individuals with COVID-19, influenza vaccination did not impact risk for hospitalization, ICU admission, or hospital mortality.

Safety of influenza vaccine during COVID-19

Edited by GroveHillWanderer