Cabinet gives green light to Canadians to teach English in 300 schools - kids will speak well in just a few years, says now ex-minister

webfact

42 minutes ago, webfact said:

He said that primary schools were a good place to start as the little ones are like sponges who will soak up the words and be communicating.

Oh yes that's  exactly what they want so they can ram that religion and obedience to  the very  top, truly disgusting.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

34 minutes ago, Peabody said:

"Nattaphol was then sentenced to 7 years 16 months in jail according to reports and print media in Thailand said he was taken off to jail. "

So 8 years, 4 months??

Incorrect info, the sentence was 7 years and 4 months.

Two cabinet ministers get jail for insurrection over PDRC

41 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Actually, they can.

Their spellings are the original. When the colonists first moved to the New World, there weren't that many of them and the language and spelling stayed static. Meanwhile, in the UK, things evolved and changed.

Though, they have no excuse for their pronunciation and spelling of the word Aluminium.

Explanation is courtesy of the author Bill Bryson.

Yes, I've read that elsewhere too regarding the origin and hence different spelling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Thailand's education minister told Thai Rath that within 3-5 years primary school children would be communicating in English now that his plans are beginning to bear fruit.

I am sure that Canadians hailing from Quebec would be far more interested if the education minister were to adopt similar plans for primary school children to be communicating in French within 3-5 years.

Edited by OJAS

52 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

The Thai education system falls down with to much emphasis on spelling and grammar and not enough on speaking. They've researched and researched US/UK schools on how they do it, but they've missed a major point, the kids are speaking English before they go to school, and need only to hone their language skills by learning spelling and grammar.

What does it matter if a Thai asks "Station train is where?" (in Thai the question word is last in the sentence), instead of the grammatically correct "Where is the train station?", it's still easily understood. The pronunciation may sound funny at times, but even among native speakers within the US or UK or Australia or Canada for that matter pronunciation differs.

That's my gripe over with, and yes I've taught in 5 schools (state and private) in Thailand from Kindergarten right through to final year of high school. Some are wizards at spelling and grammar but cannot say a word.

So what's wrong with teaching the kids correct English?

Or perhaps you could develop the teaching materials / books with wrong English (as per your example).

The reality is that there are many good series of lesson books suitable for young kids up to adults, most with progressive drawings and photos aligned to age groups, in colour and nowadays bought in massive bulk and therefore not that expensive.

And they come with practice and homework books to reinforce the daily lessons.

They work, my adult son and his 3 kids have all had these books as their main materials, they all speak advanced English.

Why not use them along with qualified experienced farang teachers? 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

But Canadians cannot spell! (Same as Americans.)

Canadians spell the same way the English do. I think the English had something to do with the language being called English. On the other hand there may be a wave of students coming who end their sentences with eh? 

• Haha 1