Cabinet gives green light to Canadians to teach English in 300 schools - kids will speak well in just a few years, says now ex-minister

webfact

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Aluminium is an interesting one. 

Also interesting is that aluminium (aluminum) is one of only two elements where alternative spelling is permitted, the other being caesium (cesium).

The yellow element (atomic number 16) has an official spelling of "sulfur" (Brit. steps back in horror having been taught "sulphur" since forever), indeed it's been that way since 1992 (or 1971 dependant upon which reference you use). And no, it's not the incidious Americanisation of science, looking at the roots of the name it really should be an "f".

All good fun.

• Like 1

Yes sure.. I believe everything.. But the kids are not willing to learn and don't need to learn too. They know nothing will happen and they always pass.. so why learn a strange language what is nowhere used in Thailand??

Secondly with all the formalities and problems with immigrations it will be almost impossible to get 1000 teachers coming to work here in Thailand.. But yeah Thailand hope their will be 10 million tourists too in the second half of this year 

• Like 2

Right now Thailand uses a lot of "Native English Speakers" - from places like India, Sri Lanka, the Philippines and even some African countries. It seems that almost anyone who can sort of string a sentence together in English can foist themselves off as a "native" English speaker, especially when talking to someone that probably has an even poorer grasp of the language.

How they are going to attract 10,000 Canadians though will be the mystery. Not long ago every part time worker in places like MacDonalds and Tim Hortons were demanding a "living wage" of at least $15 (Cdn) per hour for what is generally considered to be "unskilled" labour.

That's about 345 baht - an hour - equivalent. At 40 hours a week (five 8 hour days) that would work out to 55,000-60,000 a month minimum. (I can hear the howls of laughter already and I haven't even posted this yet !)
Someone with an actual (4 year degree) in teaching would probably be expecting to earn a bit more than the minimum "living wage" back home, let alone in a foreign country.

Did I also mention they'd be expecting other benefits (housing and travel allowances, paid time off, flights home).

Which is pretty much the reason why Thailand has so many of those "non-native" English speakers teaching English here. Actual native English speakers from places like Australia, New Zealand, England, Canada and even "American" speaker from the States are (generally) too expensive !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

"Good moaning, I was pi55ing by your doeur".

Brilliant - thank you Allo, Allo!

Gorden Kaye playing Rene Artois in 'Allo 'Allo! - ABC News (Australian  Broadcasting Corporation)

"I have come to collect my bersicle - René asks "What bersicle?" - "The bersicle that produces the electrocity for the roodio when you piddle in your wife's mothers' bedroom" 

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, RotBenz8888 said:

So Thai kids will speak English with a French accent. 

French, English Canadian, and Filipino accents are still understandable throughout the world, however, unlike Brummie and Geordie. So, good move, Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bdenner said:

So it's taken all these years for the education department to realize Filipino English teachers are a waste of time!

No, they knew they were a waste of time, and will continue to employ them at the right price.

Not many Canadian teachers will stay here for more than 6 months without the higher salary.

They will holiday here for a while then plan to go somewhere else where the money is better.

Why Canadians? Britain, Australia and America are at the forefront of ELT research and practice. That the British Council have not got their snouts in the trough indicated this contract is of no consequence either pedagogical or financial

10 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

No, they knew they were a waste of time, and will continue to employ them at the right price.

Not many Canadian teachers will stay here for more than 6 months without the higher salary.

They will holiday here for a while then plan to go somewhere else where the money is better.

No. People do a year or two minimum for their CV and for experience of teaching a monolingual class. This enables them to get better jobs or study Dip. TEFL or MA.

5 minutes ago, Nout said:

No. People do a year or two minimum for their CV and for experience of teaching a monolingual class. This enables them to get better jobs or study Dip. TEFL or MA.

As I said, many young student teachers  use Thailand as a stepping stone... they get into Asia then move on as soon as possible to neighbouring countries who offer better salaries.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

As I said, many young student teachers  use Thailand as a stepping stone... they get into Asia then move on as soon as possible to neighbouring countries who offer better salaries.

Not 6 months as you said.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

There is just one problem for Nattaphol Teepsuwan - yesterday he was jailed for seven years for insurrection

oh my oh my, all his "honest" work will be going down the pipes.... by any chance, some brown envelopes involved  555

14 hours ago, webfact said:

Three hundred is just a start, there will soon be 10,000 foreign  teachers in schools teaching English, he said, raising standards.

Lol.  Thai humor at its best!  ????

What's changed in the last two decades?
Ahhh, the response to Covid decimated the number of NES teachers in Thailand and closed the schools to boot.  But now teachers will come flocking back (to ASQ hotels, quarantine, expensive insurance, regulatory gauntlet of expensive requirements to enter) in order to get a job that pays the same low, mediocre wages as it did 20 years ago all the while being placed on "probation" without a work permit or Non-B visa.  Then then MOL fires up the machinery to cull the evil foreign teachers teaching without work permits and proper visas and documents.  Heavy fines and deportation for the foreigners; slaps on the hand for the hiring school. 

Been there, seen this movie already laew.    I know how it ends.  Sad story.  :laugh:

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Nout said:

Why Canadians? Britain, Australia and America are at the forefront of ELT research and practice. That the British Council have not got their snouts in the trough indicated this contract is of no consequence either pedagogical or financial

Perhaps the Thais heard the rumor that they're polite so probably won't complain about low pay, poor working conditions, and unmotivated students. Also wouldn't Canadians prefer anything to staying in their wintry frostbit ice houses? I say call their bluff and send them Quebecois Francophones.

Edited by Jingthing

3 hours ago, kickstart said:

It has got to be better than the Thais that can speak English, and speak it with that American twang that sets my teeth on edge. 

That's regional in the U.S  but an American twang beats a Thai sounding like a dime store Harry Potter any day of the week.

13 hours ago, Crossy said:

Aluminium is an interesting one. 

"Aluminum" was the original name given to the element by Humphry Davy, but others called it "aluminium" as other metals ended in "ium" (sodium, calcium etc etc) and that became the accepted name in Europe.

However, in the USA the preferred name was "aluminum" and when the American Chemical Society debated on the issue, in 1925, it decided to stick with aluminum.

However "zed" is definitely the last letter of the alphabet not this "zee" thing (Dutch for sea).

English is not Dutch and Zed is my redneck Uncle from Appalachia. 

14 hours ago, webfact said:

Sourcing high quality foreign teachers with high level English abilities and abilities to pass on their knowledge to children remained his priority.

At the rates you guys are offering, you can forget the "quality" and just accept any white face that's desperate enough to stay here.