Cabinet gives green light to Canadians to teach English in 300 schools - kids will speak well in just a few years, says now ex-minister

webfact

do they just open a fresh can of Canadian teachers? where do they get them from? I mean Canada also has Covid, slowly with vaccins etc and still I don't think in near time anyone could travel to nor enter this land of fake smiles...

Living in a village in Issan off and on from 1979 to 1987,and being a Canadian. I didn't know I was teaching the little ones, that had never seen a furlong in there life's, proper Canadian English. Everyday the little kid's would be running around the house I lived at with my still Canadian Thai wife screaming "<deleted>-<deleted>". Canadians bad teachers.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, khunpeer said:

do they just open a fresh can of Canadian teachers? where do they get them from? I mean Canada also has Covid, slowly with vaccins etc and still I don't think in near time anyone could travel to nor enter this land of fake smiles...

Recruit in the dead of winter. It could work!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/25/2021 at 10:23 AM, KarenBravo said:

Actually, they can.

Their spellings are the original. When the colonists first moved to the New World, there weren't that many of them and the language and spelling stayed static. Meanwhile, in the UK, things evolved and changed.

Though, they have no excuse for their pronunciation and spelling of the word Aluminium.

Explanation is courtesy of the author Bill Bryson.

No, you're thinking of French.

I'd consider the UK an authority on the matter. One of the countries in the UK is the birthplace of the language - Britain.

The fact that some traitors to the crown disagreed, saught independence and veered away from following the rules of our English language is not our fault.

1 hour ago, 2530Ubon said:

No, you're thinking of French.

I'd consider the UK an authority on the matter. One of the countries in the UK is the birthplace of the language - Britain.

The fact that some traitors to the crown disagreed, saught independence and veered away from following the rules of our English language is not our fault.

I once spoke to a Geordie. Notice that I did not say "spoke with". If it was English he was speaking, I'm still bewildered.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 2530Ubon said:

That was all part of 'the rebellion', you know?  Although, I'm not familiar with the word "saught"...????

On 2/25/2021 at 10:24 AM, RotBenz8888 said:

So Thai kids will speak English with a French accent. 

at least it will be consistent... whereas in England there are about 10 different accents and a made up 'received' pronunciation as fake as it gets   ;   )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Canadian teachers make 100,000 Canadian pesos a year including benefits. 

They have a nice setup and a great pension going on for them there. Just like every other money sucking government employee. I highly doubt they will come to Thailand and teach. 

Or do they mean Canadian immigrants like me with a useless degree slumming it in Asia? If so, where do I apply? 

The books that are actually used are the problem - most are compiled (it would be a joke to say written) by people who are not fluent in English. As someone with degrees in Biology and Geology, I have twice tried to help children understand textbooks and questions in English on these subjects - but i struggled because the English used just didn't make any sense! If i cannot understand the books, what chance do 12 year old Thai children have?

If you want to teach a subject in the English language, get the books written in an English speaking country.

2 hours ago, Pravda said:

Canadian teachers make 100,000 Canadian pesos a year including benefits. 

They have a nice setup and a great pension going on for them there. Just like every other money sucking government employee. I highly doubt they will come to Thailand and teach. 

Or do they mean Canadian immigrants like me with a useless degree slumming it in Asia? If so, where do I apply? 

You better check your facts about Canadian pensions... unless you had a gvt job or private pension... if you are living off Canadian pension plan your barely get 30 000 bht a month a real suck <deleted> way to live

3 hours ago, LazySlipper said:

You better check your facts about Canadian pensions... unless you had a gvt job or private pension... if you are living off Canadian pension plan your barely get 30 000 bht a month a real suck <deleted> way to live

I'm talking about teacher pensions.