Almost got ripped off 1500b today.

Topah

6 minutes ago, Halfaboy said:

Can you please explain bit more in dept about the 9V battery ? Is this located in the lock or is it part of your remote control to open the door ? Did you need tools to change the battery ? 

Thanks....

I was outside from my room and code I entered was correct but door did not open. The batteries of the lock are 4xaa batteries inside the room. So the 9v battery helped the door open and all I have to do is to change the 4xaa batteries and voila. There is no need for any tools using the 9v from the outside. There is a terminal under the unit. Very simple.

Edited by Topah
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Lantern said:

What, so anyone with a 9V battery can get in?

No....  The batteries in the lock (usually 4x AA batteries) would have died... 

The 9V battery touches against two external contacts to supply power to the lock so that the door can be opened with the code (something which I figured anyone with an electronic lock would know). 

A lot of Electronic locks also have a failsafe keyhole where if the batteries have died a cover can be removed and the key can be used (the spare key can be kept in the car or with a friend etc).

• Like 2

I have a similar situation with a safe deposit box in my condo. It takes 4xAA batteries inside the safe. Should those batteries lose charge then the mechanism will not open due to low power for the motor. The safe supplier provided a separate power pack to plug in externally to overcome this. My advice (and practice) to anyone with these types of electronic locks is to replace batteries annually with quality long life ones.

21 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

I have a similar situation with a safe deposit box in my condo. It takes 4xAA batteries inside the safe. Should those batteries lose charge then the mechanism will not open due to low power for the motor. The safe supplier provided a separate power pack to plug in externally to overcome this. My advice (and practice) to anyone with these types of electronic locks is to replace batteries annually with quality long life ones.

If you want one like this then look that you can open it with a key too. Not only batteries can fail. The electronic could fail too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A lot of Electronic locks also have a failsafe keyhole where if the batteries have died a cover can be removed and the key can be used (the spare key can be kept in the car or with a friend etc).

That is common at electronic hotel safes.

• Thanks 1

The lock repair guy knew exactly what the problem was and probably had a 9V battery in his fanny pack.

If the condo building has this Yale electronic lock as a standard on their doors, then the office should have known this "trick" and could have advised the OP accordingly.  The building handyman would have had a 9V battery and would have been happy to use it for a small gratuity.  I'm surprised the condo office gave him a card for a locksmith instead, if this Yale lock is common in the building.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, NancyL said:

The lock repair guy knew exactly what the problem was and probably had a 9V battery in his fanny pack.

If the condo building has this Yale electronic lock as a standard on their doors, then the office should have known this "trick" and could have advised the OP accordingly.  The building handyman would have had a 9V battery and would have been happy to use it for a small gratuity.  I'm surprised the condo office gave him a card for a locksmith instead, if this Yale lock is common in the building.

Now when I start to think about this more there can be another option that the office gave me a standard locksmith business card even I explained it is Yale door lock. We have standard locks also. Whatever was the reason it shows that often there is so called experts who say that things need to be changed or fixed with high costs even the fix can be very simple. I was ready to pay for him for coming to look at the issue but after that bs about need a fix...it showed how unprofessional he was. Same happened years back with a top loaded washing machine which did not rotate well. Repair man came and wanted few thousand for the fix. I googled and actually the fix is the loose rubber belt which needs to be changed after few years of use. Cost 100 baht and took 2 minutes to change.

Edited by Topah

20 hours ago, Lantern said:

What, so anyone with a 9V battery can get in?

No, The  person still needs the correct code to cause the lock to open. All the external 9 V battery does is provide enough power for the electronics and all to operate. This is pretty standard on many locks of this type. An external battery provides power if the internal batteries are low or failing.