Trendy house passport renewal

I emailed VFS Global in Chiang Mai just after the New Year and got an appointment at the end of the week, which was on 8th January 2021.  Took the passport page copies, photos and everything and got the collection letter.  They phoned me on Monday (22nd Feb 2021) and I collected the new passport in 24th Feb 2021.  So it took a total of 46 days.  I kept my old passport and they only cut the corner off the old one once I was happy that the new passport was satisfactory.  I am delighted with the service and it meant that I didn't have to travel to Bangkok.  That VFS office also does passports for other nationalities.  I didn't mind the wait since the old passport was valid for more than ten years, which the EU now says invalidates EU passports.  So I couldn't have travelled back to the UK via the EU on it anyway.  Now I've got the new blue UK one, that's all in the past.  Just got to jump through the hoops to get the stamps transferred to the new passport now.

I just got my passport back on the 24th February, 11 days after my Thai visa expired so cost me an extra B5500 overstay.  I made the mistake of sending it through an agent in Pattaya at the beginning of December with assurances that I would get a new passport before the end of January. I did ask if it would be a problem and was told "no, I would receive the new passport well before my visa expired"!! From the messages I received the application went to VFS on the 23rd December 2 weeks after the agent received the passport and processing fee, VFS charged my credit card on the 28th December, so I gather it took them 5 days to look at the application. I got an email from HMPO on the 7th January saying I'd get my new passport within 2 months, they were 1 week inside the 2 months. Over all it took 11 weeks, so my advice would be do it early and do it yourself don't trust any agents I received nothing but BS when I could get a reply, until the day I got it. 

I received an email from HMPO yesterday saying it would take 8 weeks to process my passport, which was submitted on 8th february. Is it 8 weeks from yesterday or 8th february??   Notwithstanding their problems with Covid, thay had no problem debiting my credit card within 4 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

I received an email from HMPO yesterday saying it would take 8 weeks to process my passport, which was submitted on 8th february. Is it 8 weeks from yesterday or 8th february??

That seems to a standard email the are sending out. It would be from the 8th I assume.

Other have gotten it but got their new passport before then.

3 hours ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Notwithstanding their problems with Covid, thay had no problem debiting my credit card within 4 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Incredible isn’t it... Companies claiming all these delays due to Covid-19 have no problem taking money off you in the blinking of an eye... But try and get a refund, it takes months ! 

On 2/25/2021 at 6:20 PM, ukrules said:

Making a copy is useful in case you lose the passport I guess but you don't need to surrender the passport when you renew it in Thailand

You're not required to go without your passport whilst in Thailand even during the renewal process.

Last time I did it which was back in 2011 I had to make copies and mail them off with the application to Hong Kong if I remember correctly, now they do it in an office at the Trendy building, regardless - you keep your passport with you at all times, it's not sent off for renewal.

Your passport is not sent off but it is voided (corner of cover page clipped) so as a travel document it is invalid. You may however profer this invalid passport as proof of ID in Thailand.

I renewed my UK passport in 2014 and 2019 at Trendy building Soi 13 Sukhumvit. Great service, less than 21 days for both renewals.

5 hours ago, Red Forever said:

Your passport is not sent off but it is voided (corner of cover page clipped) so as a travel document it is invalid. You may however profer this invalid passport as proof of ID in Thailand.

I renewed my UK passport in 2014 and 2019 at Trendy building Soi 13 Sukhumvit. Great service, less than 21 days for both renewals.

Sorry, this was what I thought and it is wrong.  As I said in my earlier post:  "I kept my old passport and they only cut the corner off the old one once I was happy that the new passport was satisfactory".  What I will add is that they told me the old passport was invalid for international travel as I had applied for a new passport but it could still be used as an identity document.  To reiterate, the corner was only clipped once I had the new one in my hands, had checked it thoroughly and had then signed it.

Archived