Do you know of anyone on retirement visa "kicked out" of Thailand?

coastguard

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

I don't live here in fear.  I have nothing I can't sell or donate and head to the airport within 36 hours.  Most I could loss is whatever is left on the month's rent.   This is by design.  

That's the definition of living in fear! 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

What big changes has there been since before 2014 ? Besides insurance for OA.

You always had to account for 800k one way or another, put it aside or top up each year for a retire extension. Marriage extensions I cant recall any changes.

The Thai Baht went up, or Western currencies declined resp. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Leaver said:

I am not claiming I know much about PR in Thailand.  I would think anyone with PR would NOT fall under the Thai labour laws, but I do not know this for sure.  Perhaps another member may know.  

PR here does not interest me.  I have no intention of applying, now, or in the future.  

That is AFTER you get the PR.

One of the conditions of applying for PR is that you must earn a salary of 80K per month on legal jobs that isn't reserved for Thai. BEFORE and AFTER are two different things.

58 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

As far as I know the rules for both permanent residency and citizenship are identical for men and women.

Well you're wrong.

The only requirement for citizenship to a foreign women is a Thai husband with an income of 25kbht/month.

The foreign woman has no need to work, have savings or earn money at all.

Personally,

I have no use for money for medical costs, beyond the most basic.

At 65 my life is over, I have no reason to try and extend it, death when it comes, will be welcome.

No need to plan for the future ...... I have none.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

That is AFTER you get the PR.

One of the conditions of applying for PR is that you must earn a salary of 80K per month on legal jobs that isn't reserved for Thai. BEFORE and AFTER are two different things.

I did say the person I spoke to claiming to have PR was openly working in an occupation reserved for Thai's.  I didn't ask what job he had prior to being granted PR.    

14 hours ago, ericthai said:

Not that simple!  you need to be working and paying taxes, plus a bunch of hoops. Not impossible, I have several friends that have PR and a few that now have Thai citizenship. 

My friend was still working when he applied for it, but he has since retired and he still has his permanent residency. 

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2021 at 10:28 PM, Leaver said:

One may meet the financial requirements this year, but there's no guarantee one will be able to meet the financial requirements next year. 

800k can become 1.5 million, or 120k baht a month,  with the stoke of a pen in Bangkok. 

Whilst I would like to think I can meet any any future requirements, you can never feel stable here.   

I think it's only a matter of time before compulsory health insurance, attached to a retirement visa, is introduced.  No health insurance, no visa.

You could have a Thai wife, a car, a condo, a farm, a bar, children etc, but you will NEVER have a right to live here.  All farang should have a Plan B alternative to living in Thailand.  

You could apply for permanent residency or get a Thai passport

• Sad 1

I have no plan B i have a wife a son ,who runs a company , if my money ran out ,my family or my wifes would help , i could not even imagine leaving them and going back to the UK at my age ,although a home would be no problem luckily my UK  family are quite well off  , 

but i would prefer to be poor and with my wife ,

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, connda said:

No you can't.  I'm not sure where you got your information from but it's incorrect. Take it from someone who as supported a Thai wife and family for the last 14 years.  There is no path to permanent residency based on "living in Thailand legally for at least 5 years" for any of us men married to Thai women.  Now for foreign women married to Thai men?  Yeah, they may be able to seeing that rules for male foreigner spouses and female foreign spouse are as different as night and day.

The rules for PR and citizenshop are the same for foreign women as for foreign men. Only the requirements for temporary extension of stay based on marriage differ.

47 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

I have no plan B i have a wife a son ,who runs a company , if my money ran out ,my family or my wifes would help , i could not even imagine leaving them and going back to the UK at my age ,although a home would be no problem luckily my UK  family are quite well off  , 

but i would prefer to be poor and with my wife ,

So, you do have a Plan B.

What if the Company's money ran out also?  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

You could apply for permanent residency or get a Thai passport

No need.  I have no interest in either.  I have no financial, business, or emotional ties here.  This is by choice, and suits Thailand's visa system quite well.  ???? 

1 hour ago, connda said:

There is no path to permanent residency based on "living in Thailand legally for at least 5 years" for any of us men married to Thai women. 

I would think not, otherwise, hundreds of thousands of expats, from all around the world, would already have PR.  

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

If I'd been a foreign woman, I'd have become a Thai citizen in 2012.

You may think that, but the women I know who have gone through this had to jump through complicated hoops for a good 10 years to complete it. It is not easy.

• Like 1

Just now, Sheryl said:

You may think that, but the women I know who have gone through this had to jump through complicated hoops for a good 10 years to complete it. It is not easy.

The lady on the first link I gave said it took her 3.5 years, which is considered the normal length of time.

That link is NOT an authoritatiev source and contains many inaccuracies.

I know of no one who did it in that little time.

A good command of Thai IS required. The entire interview is conducted in Thai.

You DO have to sing the national anthem at the interview.

And even meeting all requirements, approval is far from guaranteed.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

That link is NOT an authoritatiev source and contains many inaccuracies.

I know of no one who did it in that little time.

A good command of Thai IS required. The entire interview is conducted in Thai.

You DO have to sing the national anthem at the interview.

And even meeting all requirements, approval is far from guaranteed.

According to the Thai Special Branch website, none of those are required.

https://www.sbpolice.go.th/page/การถือสัญชาติไทยของหญิงต่างด้าวโดยการสมรส_125.html

Maybe you should give Special Branch a call and tell them their website is wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1