Do you know of anyone on retirement visa "kicked out" of Thailand?

coastguard

14 hours ago, connda said:

No you can't.  I'm not sure where you got your information from but it's incorrect. Take it from someone who as supported a Thai wife and family for the last 14 years.  There is no path to permanent residency based on "living in Thailand legally for at least 5 years" for any of us men married to Thai women.  Now for foreign women married to Thai men?  Yeah, they may be able to seeing that rules for male foreigner spouses and female foreign spouse are as different as night and day.

Well, it’s been brought to my attention that it’s only 3 years - not five and I got the information from my friend who does have a permanent residency and he’s married to a Thai woman. I don’t think they based in on being married to her, though. He’s been working in Thailand from 2002 until last year when he retired. He was the managing director of a British company. 

And there’s very much a way to permanent residency:

In order to apply to become a Thai Permanent Resident, you must meet the following criteria:

You must have had a Thai non-immigrant visa for at least three years prior to the submission of your application. Holders of multiple NON-Immigrant visas can not apply. You must have 3 consecutive yearly extensions in order to qualify.

You must be a holder of a non-immigrant visa at the time of submitting your application.

You must be able to meet one of these categories to apply for PR status in Thailand:

Investment category (minimum 3 – 10 Mil. Baht investment in Thailand)

Working/ Business category

Support a family or Humanity Reasons category: In this category, you must have a relationship with a Thai citizen or an alien who already posses a residence permit as a husband or wife; father or mother; or a guardian of a Thai child under 20 years of age.

Expert / academic category

Other categories as determined by Thai Immigration

This information is from the website thaiembassy.com, if you google ‘how to obtain permanent residency in Thailand’ it’s the first entry.

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

There is no path to PR without working in Thailand, so many years of minimum income, pay tax etc.

So for any retirees or (not working) married guys, there is no path

Yes there is, the only thing I don’t understand is the “multiple non-immigrant visas”  line in the first bullet point below. Does this refer to a multiple entry non-immigrant visa or having actually more than one non-immigrant visa at a time? I mean how would that even be possible?

In order to apply to become a Thai Permanent Resident, you must meet the following criteria:

• You must have had a Thai non-immigrant visa for at least three years prior to the submission of your application. Holders of multiple NON-Immigrant visas can not apply. You must have 3 consecutive yearly extensions in order to qualify.
  • You must be a holder of a non-immigrant visa at the time of submitting your application.
  • You must be able to meet one of these categories to apply for PR status in Thailand:
    • Investment category (minimum 3 – 10 Mil. Baht investment in Thailand)
    • Working/ Business category
    • Support a family or Humanity Reasons category: In this category, you must have a relationship with a Thai citizen or an alien who already posses a residence permit as a husband or wife; father or mother; or a guardian of a Thai child under 20 years of age.
    • Expert / academic category
    • Other categories as determined by Thai Immigration

13 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

That thaiembassy website is not an official website and as others have said, the information is incorrect.

If you read any of the long running PR threads, you will find it mentioned and discussed ,  there is a work requirement for all PR applications.

Websites and legislation may say otherwise but reality is different.

Alright then. Thanks for clearing that up! 

On 2/26/2021 at 10:28 PM, Leaver said:

One may meet the financial requirements this year, but there's no guarantee one will be able to meet the financial requirements next year. 

800k can become 1.5 million, or 120k baht a month,  with the stoke of a pen in Bangkok. 

Whilst I would like to think I can meet any any future requirements, you can never feel stable here.   

I think it's only a matter of time before compulsory health insurance, attached to a retirement visa, is introduced.  No health insurance, no visa.

You could have a Thai wife, a car, a condo, a farm, a bar, children etc, but you will NEVER have a right to live here.  All farang should have a Plan B alternative to living in Thailand.  

Yes and I'm sure it will change in the future as the cost of living goes up every year the amount you need to support yourself should not remain stagnant.

Now if you have a Thai wife or children the funds you need to show are now halved. If you have a bar there are other visa options available to you. 

If you wish to stay here on a retirement visa you need to have 800k baht tied up for a while which is I admit inconvenient but if you can not afford that I seriously question your ability to live out your life in a foreign country. And yes yes I know all your millions are tied up in stocks and shares and superyachts offshore so it is incredibly difficult to free up that money. 

• Like 1

I'm the original poster. Wow, this thread really got off track. More about permanent residency than about whether you know someone who was kicked out. While PR is interesting, perhaps it'd have been better to start a new question/thread just about PR.

In answer to my original question, It seems there are only a very very few cases that people know of. Kind of what I thought. Thanks for all the feedback.

Let's hope that post COVID we retirees will be seen as even more worth retaining given the lack of tourists. I feel I am more appreciated already!

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 5:10 PM, Leaver said:

So, you do have a Plan B.

What if the Company's money ran out also?  

he runs the company ,does not own it , he would get another job , i dont need his money anyway its his not mine ,also his girlfriend earns quite good money ,and she has a place of her own ,

On 3/3/2021 at 11:08 AM, starky said:

Yes and I'm sure it will change in the future as the cost of living goes up every year the amount you need to support yourself should not remain stagnant.

Now if you have a Thai wife or children the funds you need to show are now halved. If you have a bar there are other visa options available to you. 

If you wish to stay here on a retirement visa you need to have 800k baht tied up for a while which is I admit inconvenient but if you can not afford that I seriously question your ability to live out your life in a foreign country. And yes yes I know all your millions are tied up in stocks and shares and superyachts offshore so it is incredibly difficult to free up that money. 

I use an agent, not because I don't have 800k to put in a Thai bank, but because putting 800k in a Thai bank is a waste of its earning potential, and also, I do lose some control over it, or have to engage in the Thai bureaucracy to get the money out of Thailand.  

I do laugh at guys that say, my visa only cost 1900 baht and yours cost 20,000 baht through an agent. 

My 800k baht is making around 6% whilst invested in my home country, whilst those with the 800k baht in a Thai bank are making next to nothing, along with the risks of having it here.  

800k x 6% = 48k baht a year.  

Agent costs me 20k baht, and saves me the headache trips to immigration. 

48k baht - 20k baht = 28k baht better off.

What are guys getting here in a Thai bank for their 800k baht, maybe 1%.  Do the math. 

The 800k baht tied up in a Thai bank is the true cost of a retirement visa here, not the 1900 baht that many seem to think is.   

Where I may differ from most foreigners here is I have no emotional, financial, or business ties here.  If tomorrow they stop the use of agents, I'm off to my Plan B, which is Vietnam.  That said, I will fly into Thailand on tourists visas a couple of times a year, if / when I want to.   

Bottom line, Thailand is not the be all and end all that I should jump through their hoops like a monkey.    

So, for me, I really don't care if they raise the seed money to 1.5 million, and the monthly method to 120k baht a month, or bring in compulsory health insurance.  I rent here, and have nothing I can't sell, or donate, and be in the airport within 36 hours.  This is by design.  

Now, back to your post, tell me again how the 800k baht in a Thai bank proves you have the funds to live here.  ????

On 3/4/2021 at 5:01 PM, ivor bigun said:

he runs the company ,does not own it , he would get another job , i dont need his money anyway its his not mine ,also his girlfriend earns quite good money ,and she has a place of her own ,

"if my money ran out ,my family or my wifes would help" - these are your words.

So, if your money runs out, and his company goes broke, and he is out of work, I guess you go cap in hand to the family back home.  

Many have burnt their bridges back home, not saying you have, but many have.

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

I use an agent, not because I don't have 800k to put in a Thai bank, but because putting 800k in a Thai bank is a waste of its earning potential, and also, I do lose some control over it, or have to engage in the Thai bureaucracy to get the money out of Thailand.  

I do laugh at guys that say, my visa only cost 1900 baht and yours cost 20,000 baht through an agent. 

My 800k baht is making around 6% whilst invested in my home country, whilst those with the 800k baht in a Thai bank are making next to nothing, along with the risks of having it here.  

800k x 6% = 48k baht a year.  

Agent costs me 20k baht, and saves me the headache trips to immigration. 

48k baht - 20k baht = 28k baht better off.

What are guys getting here in a Thai bank for their 800k baht, maybe 1%.  Do the math. 

The 800k baht tied up in a Thai bank is the true cost of a retirement visa here, not the 1900 baht that many seem to think is.   

Where I may differ from most foreigners here is I have no emotional, financial, or business ties here.  If tomorrow they stop the use of agents, I'm off to my Plan B, which is Vietnam.  That said, I will fly into Thailand on tourists visas a couple of times a year, if / when I want to.   

Bottom line, Thailand is not the be all and end all that I should jump through their hoops like a monkey.    

So, for me, I really don't care if they raise the seed money to 1.5 million, and the monthly method to 120k baht a month, or bring in compulsory health insurance.  I rent here, and have nothing I can't sell, or donate, and be in the airport within 36 hours.  This is by design.  

Now, back to your post, tell me again how the 800k baht in a Thai bank proves you have the funds to live here.  ????

Mate if your getting 6% interest on your money these days in any sort of savings account congratulations. Now how much of that do you pay in tax? 

Me? I laugh at guys that live here OT want to retire here but then constantly bitch and moan about all the "hoops" they have to jump through. Should a country not demand some sort of proof that you have the means to support yourself? Using an agent is the smart way to go of course but if they are showing funds on your behalf then technically your obtaining your visa fraudulently. Again not my business and I would certainly pay 20k for that privilege.

Mate im not retired im married so having 400k in a Thai bank account for 90 days worries me not a whit. 

The 800 proves nothing I do agree in so much as any money you bring into Thailand will not be going the other way but I knew that 25 years ago. ????

Edited by starky
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2021 at 10:20 AM, starky said:

Mate if your getting 6% interest on your money these days in any sort of savings account congratulations.

Where did I say "interest?"

Now how much of that do you pay in tax? 

No interest, no tax.

Mate im not retired im married so having 400k in a Thai bank account for 90 days worries me not a whit. 

It's not about the "worry" it's about the p*ss take here.

The 800 proves nothing

Should a country not demand some sort of proof that you have the means to support yourself?

Yes, Thailand demands prove of nothing.  That's the Thai way.  ????

8 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Where did I say "interest?"

No interest, no tax.

It's not about the "worry" it's about the p*ss take here.

Yes, Thailand demands prove of nothing.  That's the Thai way.  ????

Well you were comparing it to people leaving their money in Thai bank accounts. If it's an income ya pay tax on it. But tbh who gives a rats? By admission you got no skin in the game, no connection, no ties, nothing, who knows why you even bother. So your not really "retiring" here at all. That just happens to be a work around visa to allow you to stay here longer than you otherwise would. So again congratulations, for not having to jump through the hoops to live in a country that you don't really give a <deleted> about anyway. 

Edited by starky
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, starky said:

Well you were comparing it to people leaving their money in Thai bank accounts.

No.  I was discussing fools that leave 800k baht in a Thai bank, and then tell me they only "pay" 1900 baht for their retirement visa.

1 hour ago, starky said:

If it's an income ya pay tax on it.

No.  The company pays tax on it.  

1 hour ago, starky said:

By admission you got no skin in the game, no connection, no ties, nothing, who knows why you even bother. 

Correct.

Thailand works for me, not me working for Thailand. 

1 hour ago, starky said:

So your not really "retiring" here at all.

How so?

Do you have to buy a worthless property that you can't 100% own in your name do be called "retired here?"  

I'm retired here, but my money is earning elsewhere.  I transfer it in as needed.   

1 hour ago, starky said:

That just happens to be a work around visa to allow you to stay here longer than you otherwise would. 

Huh?

1 hour ago, starky said:

So again congratulations, for not having to jump through the hoops to live in a country that you don't really give a <deleted> about anyway. 

Thanks.

Do you think Thailand actually give a f*#k about you?  

On 2/27/2021 at 11:49 AM, Stevemercer said:

There have been a few threads recently highlighting a potential problem for those on retirement extensions using the 800,000 Baht method.

The problem is when the IO retrospectively checks that you have met the holding requirements for the 800,000 Baht and the 400,000 Baht at your extension (e.g. you must prove you maintained the correct balances over the previous year).

If someone inadvertently let the balance dip, their extension will be denied. In theory they could be given 7 days to leave. 

I've read about that happening a couple of time be never heard how it was resolved.  If in Pattaya or Phuket it would be time to get an agent.  But if you live in the rural rice fields,  I'm not sure where you're gonna find an agent.  But.  I'd sorta like to know how those guys whose funds dipped below the required numbers ended fairing. 

On 2/27/2021 at 12:17 PM, BangkokReady said:

Do people here long-term not ultimately aim for permanent residency?

Go to Google Advanced Search.  Enter "Permanent Residency" "Thailand" and in the domain box enter "thaivisa.com".  Enjoy your read (or laugh).

On 2/27/2021 at 1:07 PM, BangkokReady said:

Yeah, that's kind of a weird requirement.  Invest a ton of money, get married, have kids, own property (through wife), but no permanent residency if you didn't pay a little bit of tax.

Everybody here pays taxes.  7% VAT taxes on purchases.  If you have a saving account they deduct 15% of the interest paid to your account.
I pay taxes.  You pay taxes.  We all pay taxes.

On 2/27/2021 at 3:48 PM, Leaver said:

This would ensure zero burden on the Thai medical system in the future, and clear out those here that can't afford it, or are ineligible to receive it, thus ending any current risk to the Thai medical system within the next 12 months, covid aside.  

No it wouldn't as virtually everyone at retirement age has pre-existing conditions.  On top of that virtually all new insurance policies will have a 5 year moratorium on "deadly diseases" like heart attack, cancer, stroke, and so on.  So now you are saddled with an extremely expensive policy that pays for next to nothing and the premiums further hamper your ability to pay hospitalization for the things that will most likely put you in the hospital, like heart attack, cancer, stroke, and so on.  So the chances of you becoming a burden on the Thai health system could actually be higher if they force retirees into a Thai only company health plan.
So essentially the health care premiums will be the boot to your butt they they shove your out the door once you're over 75 unless you've got your policy back when your were young, or have a military policy like Tri-Care, and thought a government pension.  Everyone else's ability to remain her past 75 years old is gonna be iffy.  Well, unless you're wealthy.  But if you're wealthy, honestly, why would you want to live here? 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 6:51 PM, Sheryl said:

That link is NOT an authoritatiev source and contains many inaccuracies.

I know of no one who did it in that little time.

A good command of Thai IS required. The entire interview is conducted in Thai.

You DO have to sing the national anthem at the interview.

And even meeting all requirements, approval is far from guaranteed.

I've been able to sing Chaat Thai since 2009.  Not that it does me a bit of good, but it is fun to belt it out in the middle of the market place at 6pm and watch all the approving nods and smiles.  Still a farang guy but a curiosity.  Can read and touch type too.  But - no citizenship in the cards in sexist Siam. 
Geez BritmanToo.  Only 15K for a government employee to support his foreign wife and she could actually be the primary source of income? 
Talk about the gravy deal that is!!!  They closed that off for guys married to Thai women.  I believe Thai wives used to be able to contribute to their husband's month income.  Not any more.  Yep.  Sexist Siam sums it up.  If foreign hubby ain't making 2x to 3x what a Thai husband make - it's the Boot In The Behind for you.  And a screwed up family unless your wife decides to expatriate to your home country.  And zero path to residency.  Talk about a screwed up system. 

33 minutes ago, CALSinCM said:

No it wouldn't as virtually everyone at retirement age has pre-existing conditions. 

Do you think Thailand cares about this? 

Farang at that point in time would have past their used by date for Thailand.  

On top of that virtually all new insurance policies will have a 5 year moratorium on "deadly diseases" like heart attack, cancer, stroke, and so on. 

Says who?

Link please?

So now you are saddled with an extremely expensive policy that pays for next to nothing and the premiums further hamper your ability to pay hospitalization for the things that will most likely put you in the hospital, like heart attack, cancer, stroke, and so on.  So the chances of you becoming a burden on the Thai health system could actually be higher if they force retirees into a Thai only company health plan.

Correct.

That's why they will make the bar so high that who they deem to be high risk, will not qualify for insurance, so no insurance policy means no visa, which means no more living in Thailand.  Get it?

So essentially the health care premiums will be the boot to your butt they they shove your out the door once you're over 75 unless you've got your policy back when your were young, or have a military policy like Tri-Care, and thought a government pension.

Correct. 

Or, a global policy through an employer, even if you are an employee just on paper, and that's provided they will accept a policy from a third party insurance company.

The policy will be annual, so once you get to a certain age, no more coverage, which means no more visa.  

Everyone else's ability to remain her past 75 years old is gonna be iffy.

Correct.  

How much does someone over75 years of age spend here?  Thailand has already got their money.  Why would Thailand want no spenders to remain here?  Money Number One here.  

Edited by Leaver

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/26/2021 at 8:54 PM, Daffy D said:

As always on this forum people get side tracked go off at tangents and the original question gets lost and not actually answered.

So lets say a British pensioner who has been here long time with no family or friends left back in the UK finally runs out of money and can't reach the required financial Immigration requirements gets banged up for overstay.

As I understand it he would be held in Immigration jail and deported back to UK at his own expense. But if he does not have the money for a flight is he then kept in jail until he dies?

I do know a story told to me by a Brit pensioner, he didn't have the required  money in the bank, when he went to Immigration Court,  told his story why and the Judge asked him "Why should I let you stay in my country?"  He told the Judge "I have lived in Thailand for 22 years, I can't live in Cold weather anymore, I think I would die if sent back to UK". The judge laughed and said "First time I have had an honest answer to that question". You have 3 months to meet the requirement, all of us in the Bar chipped in to help him out, even the bar girls.  I think he needed 400,000 baht.

On 2/27/2021 at 11:49 AM, Stevemercer said:

There have been a few threads recently highlighting a potential problem for those on retirement extensions using the 800,000 Baht method.

The problem is when the IO retrospectively checks that you have met the holding requirements for the 800,000 Baht and the 400,000 Baht at your extension (e.g. you must prove you maintained the correct balances over the previous year).

If someone inadvertently let the balance dip, their extension will be denied. In theory they could be given 7 days to leave. 

Just pay an agent (15kbht-25kbht depending on location) for your extensions and all is well.

Edited by BritManToo

On 3/7/2021 at 10:21 PM, Leaver said:

How much does someone over75 years of age spend here?  Thailand has already got their money.  Why would Thailand want no spenders to remain here?  Money Number One here.  

How much does an 18 year old backpacker spend here? I'm 78 and guarantee I spend more, month in month out. BTW, they don't have my 800K just because it's lodged in a Thai bank, I can depart with it any time I choose.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, giddyup said:

How much does an 18 year old backpacker spend here? I'm 78 and guarantee I spend more, month in month out. BTW, they don't have my 800K just because it's lodged in a Thai bank, I can depart with it any time I choose.

I meant no offence to over 75's.  I'll address your reply.

Comparing a 75 year old expat to a backpacker is not a good comparison, but, a backpacker eats out 3 meals a day, pays for accommodation 7 nights a week, probably drinks to get drunk 5 out of 7 nights a week, uses public transport every few days to travel around Thailand, thus their money is spread across the country, they do activities like scuba to elephant trekking, and everything in between, and there were hundreds of thousands of them coming to Thailand each year and staying anywhere from 1 month to 6 months.

Compare this to a 75 year old who bought a condo 15 years ago, his wife shops at the local market for ingredients for home cooked meals, and he has only a few drinks on a few days a week, and Thailand's not making any money out of him anymore, and should he not have medical insurance, or can't afford to pay his own medical, he's now a liability on the Thai medical system.  

Without permanent residency here, and very few farang have it, a farang has "no right" to remain living in Thailand except for meeting current visa requirements.

What makes you think, that with the stoke of a pen in Bangkok, they can change the laws to say a farang over 80 years of age will no longer be issued 12 month extensions?  

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

I meant no offence to over 75's.  I'll address your reply.

Comparing a 75 year old expat to a backpacker is not a good comparison, but, a backpacker eats out 3 meals a day, pays for accommodation 7 nights a week, probably drinks to get drunk 5 out of 7 nights a week, uses public transport every few days to travel around Thailand, thus their money is spread across the country, they do activities like scuba to elephant trekking, and everything in between, and there were hundreds of thousands of them coming to Thailand each year and staying anywhere from 1 month to 6 months.

Compare this to a 75 year old who bought a condo 15 years ago, his wife shops at the local market for ingredients for home cooked meals, and he has only a few drinks on a few days a week, and Thailand's not making any money out of him anymore, and should he not have medical insurance, or can't afford to pay his own medical, he's now a liability on the Thai medical system.  

Without permanent residency here, and very few farang have it, a farang has "no right" to remain living in Thailand except for meeting current visa requirements.

What makes you think, that with the stoke of a pen in Bangkok, they can change the laws to say a farang over 80 years of age will no longer be issued 12 month extensions?  

Since when does Thailand offer free medical to Falangs living here? Even if you go to a public hospital there is still a cost, usually double what a Thai pays. I don't have health insurance, even if I could get it the cost is exorbitant, but I have been able to  fund my own medical costs, including a gall bladder op and regular health checks at a private hospital. I would say there is more of a chance of a tourist being uninsured and skipping out on a hospital bill than a falang living here.

My Thai partner doesn't shop at local markets, in fact shopping at Makro and Lotus today cost 8,000 baht, food only, and there is still wine and beer to buy. Needless to say, we eat and drink well.

Not going to discuss permanent residency. I knew what the conditions of living here were when I moved here 11 years ago, and I'll play the hand that I'm dealt if circumstance change in the future.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Since when does Thailand offer free medical to Falangs living here?

It doesn't.  I never said it did.  That makes an elderly farang who can not afford medical treatment a liability to the Thai medical system. 

19 minutes ago, giddyup said:

My Thai partner doesn't shop at local markets, in fact shopping at Makro and Lotus today cost 8,000 baht, food only, and there is still wine and beer to buy. Needless to say, we eat and drink well.

Good for you.

Do you think most expats over 75 years of age do the same?

20 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Not going to discuss permanent residency. I knew what the conditions of living here were when I moved here 11 years ago, and I'll play the hand that I'm dealt if circumstance change in the future.

Yes, it's difficult to discuss the possibility of being no longer able to reside in Thailand, for whatever reasons. 

What is your Plan B? 

• Sad 1

For retirees, unless you're cashed up it's better to have a Plan B in case the visa rules change. That said, if you're old and broke there usually aren't any Plan B options available. 

Always have much more money than you think you'll need, and allow for visa financial requirements doubling, or you might be better off at home. Thailand is no place to be if you're broke.