Do you know of anyone on retirement visa "kicked out" of Thailand?

coastguard

On 4/9/2021 at 9:22 AM, dbrenn said:

For retirees, unless you're cashed up it's better to have a Plan B in case the visa rules change.

Cashed up or not, everyone should have a Plan B here. 

The visa rules could change that may have nothing to do with cash.  For example, it could be age and / or insurance related changes.  

Without a fair and reasonable pathway to permanent residency here, we are all just long stay tourists here.  

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 12:50 PM, pacovl46 said:

Yes there is, the only thing I don’t understand is the “multiple non-immigrant visas”  line in the first bullet point below. Does this refer to a multiple entry non-immigrant visa or having actually more than one non-immigrant visa at a time? I mean how would that even be possible?

In order to apply to become a Thai Permanent Resident, you must meet the following criteria:

• You must have had a Thai non-immigrant visa for at least three years prior to the submission of your application. Holders of multiple NON-Immigrant visas can not apply. You must have 3 consecutive yearly extensions in order to qualify.
  • You must be a holder of a non-immigrant visa at the time of submitting your application.
  • You must be able to meet one of these categories to apply for PR status in Thailand:
    • Investment category (minimum 3 – 10 Mil. Baht investment in Thailand)
    • Working/ Business category
    • Support a family or Humanity Reasons category: In this category, you must have a relationship with a Thai citizen or an alien who already posses a residence permit as a husband or wife; father or mother; or a guardian of a Thai child under 20 years of age.
    • Expert / academic category
    • Other categories as determined by Thai Immigration

It means if you have a multiple entry non immigrant one year visa you can't apply. 

Edited by bermondburi

22 hours ago, bermondburi said:

It means if you have a multiple entry non immigrant one year visa you can't apply. 

Thanks for clearing that up. It doesn’t make sense, though. They require you to have had a non-immigrant visa for three years in a row prior to submitting your application, but if you had a multiple entry one you can’t apply?! What’s the point of forcing you to not leave Thailand for three years? 

6 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

Thanks for clearing that up. It doesn’t make sense, though. They require you to have had a non-immigrant visa for three years in a row prior to submitting your application, but if you had a multiple entry one you can’t apply?! What’s the point of forcing you to not leave Thailand for three years? 

I guess the difference is that the applicant would have been in Thailand continuously on 3 one year extensions of stay, compared to having to leave Thailand at some point on the multi entry, either for a new 90 days, or to apply for a new visa completely. 

I suppose the latter doesn't show so much of a commitment to Thailand.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2021 at 4:51 AM, brianthainess said:

They don't list swearing at an officer :cheesy:, I know someone who was having a home visit, and he inadvertently used the F word, not even directed at them, he was told " I can revoke your visa" they didn't,  but they scared the poo out of him. ???? :cheesy:

Aussie? ???? Did he proceed to tell them to F off? lol

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, bermondburi said:

I guess the difference is that the applicant would have been in Thailand continuously on 3 one year extensions of stay, compared to having to leave Thailand at some point on the multi entry, either for a new 90 days, or to apply for a new visa completely. 

I suppose the latter doesn't show so much of a commitment to Thailand.

I think someone who can't get a one year visa can be just as committed to Thailand as someone with a one year visa. The fact that they've applied for permanent residency in the first place should speak volumes about their commitment, but I'm getting your point.