Coming 2 America: Eddie Murphy on the comedy sequel he never planned to do

snoop1130

Coming 2 America: Eddie Murphy on the comedy sequel he never planned to do

By Claire Gregory

skynews-eddie-murphy-coming-2-america_5284057.jpg

The boys are back - Murphy (R) with Arsenio Hall as Semmi. Pic: Amazon Studios

It's been more than 30 years since Coming To America came out in cinemas.

While the 1988 film was panned by critics on release, it was loved by audiences and went on to become a box office smash - and then a cult classic- appearing on many people's must-see movie list.

Now a follow up - Coming 2 America - is about to be released, but the film's star and creator, Eddie Murphy, says it's something he never expected would happen.

The 59-year-old told Sky News: "I totally was not thinking about doing a sequel to this movie because the story ended and they lived happily ever after, that was the end of it and we went on with our lives.

Full Story: https://news.sky.com/story/coming-2-america-eddie-murphy-on-the-comedy-sequel-he-never-planned-to-do-12227913

It was just the normal African American B movie for me and no i am not being racist just don't like they're sense of humor and have never seen one movie that i enjoyed although some have the occasional good piece but just not enough for me and that's IMO so no need to quote me . 

• Sad 2

I liked the original, in fact I watched it again about a month ago, I was surprised to read just a few days later that a sequel was coming, very surprised especially as I'd just rewatched it nearly 30 years after first watching it.

I like his movies, I watched the 'Golden Child' last night and found out that the actor who plays the boy was actually a girl while I was looking through the imdb page for the movie.

Sometimes it's interesting to see what they've been up to lately. The girl never did act again apparently.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ukrules said:

Sometimes it's interesting to see what they've been up to lately. The girl never did act again apparently.

My son spent a few nights in hospital last year, Aliens was on the telly. so we watched it. It hasn't aged at all and it's still a blast, although the SFX haven't stood the test of time. . . but why I mention it, the young girl that played Newt, she's 44 years old now. Scary right?

Edited by NilSS
  • Like 1

Coming to America was a classic, and both Hall and Murphy were hysterical in it. I cannot remember the number of times I saw it. Look forward to the sequel. I will watch pretty much anything the great Eddie Murphy stars in. Granted, he did some real turkeys. But as big a star as he was back in the day, that is inventible. There are not many comics out there these days that are at his level of genius. And it is sure nice to see him making a comeback. Dolemite is my name was great.

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 2