Tiles

sead

So now im on with my roof but i seems to calculate something wrong or the builders are. The tiles are fibercement. 1,2m x 0.5m= 0.6sqm

roof is going to be 13m x 18m and hight 2.5. ive calculated 18x13x0,6=140 tiles. With overlapping about 200. And someone calculated 468 tiles. 

Someone give me some help here please

59 minutes ago, sead said:

So now im on with my roof but i seems to calculate something wrong or the builders are. The tiles are fibercement. 1,2m x 0.5m= 0.6sqm

roof is going to be 13m x 18m and hight 2.5. ive calculated 18x13x0,6=140 tiles. With overlapping about 200. And someone calculated 468 tiles. 

My advice if you haven't started to build yet

go for terracota tiles

Fibercement is cheaper and lighter

however the tiles are more fragile and need to be

replaced after a while.. The heat insulation is pretty bad too.

For your calculation it seems the builder or the shop have planned very large

it could be also a mistake. Ask to the shop if you can return the tiles you don't use

at the end of the build, Most of the shops are ok with that.

(It could be also someone around you ermm errmm wanting to have a new roof for free

thinking you will not notice the diference)

1 hour ago, sead said:

should be the total area divided by the area of the tile i.e. (18 x 13)/0.6 = 390. THis is the absolute minimum with no overlapping which you will of course need. Looks like the contractor is probably right

Edited by upu2
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

My advice if you haven't started to build yet

go for terracota tiles

Fibercement is cheaper and lighter

however the tiles are more fragile and need to be

replaced after a while.. The heat insulation is pretty bad too.

For your calculation it seems the builder or the shop have planned very large

it could be also a mistake. Ask to the shop if you can return the tiles you don't use

at the end of the build, Most of the shops are ok with that.

(It could be also someone around you ermm errmm wanting to have a new roof for free

thinking you will not notice the diference)

Will Checkout those terra otta. Think the ermm ermm is a standard practice here. Ty for answer

Edited by sead
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, upu2 said:

should be the total area divided by the area of the tile i.e. (18 x 13)/0.6 = 390. THis is the absolute minimum with no overlapping which you will of course need. Looks like the contractor is probably right

He's working 50 years in the business of housemaking. So when you show me how to call u late the it seems pretty good. 

Ty for answer. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sead said:

The tiles are fiber-cement. 1,2m x 0.5m= 0.6sqm

The 0.6 m2 is not the cover area, deductions of side lap and overlap are required.

13 M x 18 M = 234 m2. need slope and width of roof to calculate exactly, any ridge.?

468 sounds about right at a guess and you always need overs to allow for breakage and cuts if any.

With 200 mm lap your m2 coverage of the roof sheet is aprox 0.3 m2 intermediately.

Edited by Kwasaki

8 hours ago, sead said:

Will Checkout those terra otta. Think the ermm ermm is a standard practice here. Ty for answer

You are welcome

as i said the terracotta tiles are heavier

so this requires a reinforced framing

i build 2 houses in Thailand, one with fibrocement tiles

and one with terracota, the first one was an oven inside

the second was ok, even without aircon. plus i had to replace 

most of the fibrocement tiles after the first violent storm

so at the end of the day the cost was the same

if i had to build a 3 third house i will go for terracota without any hesitation

And yeah for the ''standart practice'' you need to oversee absolutely everything here

and be present on the site at every minute of the built, every time i was absent 

even for only few hours. the Thais tried to cut the corners on something

Edited by kingofthemountain

1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

i build 2 houses in Thailand, one with fibrocement tiles

and one with terracota, the first one was an oven inside

the second was ok, even without aircon.

The terracotta tiles don't retain heat after the sundown for as long as fibrocement tiles do, making them a better option in a hot climate. But still are not the best option thermally for a hot climate roof.