Want To Start Collecting USA Social Security

I want to start collecting Social Security.   I enrolled in Medicare Part B when I turned 65 by dealing with the Manila office.  

I do not have a My Social Security account.  I was put off by the mailing address requirement.   Some financial info gets sent to a friend in New York but that may not show up on credit report.  I also have a different old address in New York that might show up on.a credit report.  I am also concerned about being considered a New York City resident and being responsible for state tax.  I have not been back in the States since 2009 and have no plans to do so which makes the Medicare Part B premium painful but I thought I should enroll. 

Does having a My Social Security make it easier to start the process?   I don't need to know the exact amount I'd be receiving as I have a rough idea from an old paper statement and I know every month I delay that my benefit goes up by 2/3 of 1% and there have been some COLA increases.  I haven't worked since my last paper statement. The exact month that my benefits begin doesn't matter too much unless there is legislation passed giving a temporary Covid bump.  I think it is also possible to claim retroactively for 6 months which could be useful if a special Covid bump started for example in January of 2021.

I'd like direct deposit to a Bangkok Bank account.   I could open a new account there or convert an existing account to a direct deposit account.  It seems the banking info is part of the application.  Is this the correct form if I want a ACH transfer from Bangkok Bank New York?   https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/sf-1199-a_dirdeposit.pdf

I am confused and not sure what my first step should be. 

Contact Manila?  I saw somewhere one of the requirements is to mail my only copy of my birth certificate to the Philippines which I am not thrilled about.  If it wasn't for Covid, I could fly there for a holiday of sorts.   But then elsewhere I saw that I only needed to know my date and place of birth.

Set up a My Social Security account with a dubious mailing address? It appears the MySSA is necessary for an online application.  If I don't have this account does it make applying more difficult?  I am also concerned about being rejected for a MYSSA and being on some sort of blacklist which makes it even more difficult to apply.

Open the direct deposit account with Bangkok bank?   

My experience from dealing with Manila for Medicare is that appointments are needed for phone calls so I want to get everything in order before I try to set up a phone appointment.

Much appreciated if someone can point me in right direction regarding any part of this process.   ????

I do have a MySSA account that I opened in Thailand. Yes, you'll need a U.S. address. They will require you to answer security questions about things you may have forgotten such as the name of a mortgage company from 20 years ago. 

I personally think you're maybe a little overly paranoid about the consequences of a MySSA account. I don't think it will trigger anything by New York State and I don't think if you fail to open it that you will be blacklisted from applying without it.

Anyway, good luck. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, shortstop said:

Does having a My Social Security make it easier to start the process? 

Yes It took me 10 Mins to apply on the internet due to having a My SS account. If you have a US address you will never get the are you still alive letter that needs to be returned to them yearly or every other year that alone IMO is worth keeping a US address. I have had some tell me it was a nightmare to deal with Manila but others have said was no issue at all . Good luck 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, shortstop said:

I want to start collecting Social Security.   I enrolled in Medicare Part B when I turned 65 by dealing with the Manila office.  

I do not have a My Social Security account.  I was put off by the mailing address requirement.   Some financial info gets sent to a friend in New York but that may not show up on credit report.  I also have a different old address in New York that might show up on.a credit report.  I am also concerned about being considered a New York City resident and being responsible for state tax. 

You should have severed your connections to New York as fully as possible, e.g. own no property or business, surrendered your driver's license to the DMV and got a receipt for it, don't vote, etc. If you still have US bank and brokerage accounts change the addresses of record to a mailing address in a state with no income tax.

You should definitely open a My Social Security account, although it can be difficult to do so as an expat.  The minimum reason to do so is to make sure that no identity thief opens a MySS account in your name to divert your payments.  I have no idea how likely that is, but why not be safe.  There are, of course, other benefits as well, but even if you have opened the account you still have to communicate with Manila to start your benefits.

• Like 2

I don’t remember all the details but even though I do have a MySSA account opened with a U.S  address, social security has my Thai address , and I ended up needing to call Baltimore at one point. Never really dealt with Manila. Baltimore was very helpful. Sorry I can't remember all the steps. I have a simple case and it turned out to not be very hard though.  In any case its useful to have the Myssa account anyway. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I was able to open a MySSA Account online from Thailand using a PO box address in the USA. I used that PO box the last time I filed taxes so it matched their records, but they did not do any verification when I opened MySSA account.  I don't remember if I used a VPN.

You might try just using the most recent address the IRS has on file for you, and a VPN showing you are in the USA. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, shortstop said:

I do not have a My Social Security account.  I was put off by the mailing address requirement.   Some financial info gets sent to a friend in New York but that may not show up on credit report.  I also have a different old address in New York that might show up on.a credit report.  I am also concerned about being considered a New York City resident and being responsible for state tax.  I have not been back in the States since 2009 and have no plans to do so which makes the Medicare Part B premium painful but I thought I should enroll. 

Does having a My Social Security make it easier to start the process?   I don't need to know the exact amount I'd be receiving as I have a rough idea from an old paper statement and I know every month I delay that my benefit goes up by 2/3 of 1% and there have been some COLA increases.  I haven't worked since my last paper statement. The exact month that my benefits begin doesn't matter too much unless there is legislation passed giving a temporary Covid bump.  I think it is also possible to claim retroactively for 6 months which could be useful if a special Covid bump started for example in January of 2021.

I'd like direct deposit to a Bangkok Bank account.   I could open a new account there or convert an existing account to a direct deposit account.  It seems the banking info is part of the application.  Is this the correct form if I want a ACH transfer from Bangkok Bank New York?   https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/sf-1199-a_dirdeposit.pdf

I am confused and not sure what my first step should be. 

Contact Manila?  I saw somewhere one of the requirements is to mail my only copy of my birth certificate to the Philippines which I am not thrilled about.  If it wasn't for Covid, I could fly there for a holiday of sorts.   But then elsewhere I saw that I only needed to know my date and place of birth.

Set up a My Social Security account with a dubious mailing address? It appears the MySSA is necessary for an online application.  If I don't have this account does it make applying more difficult?  I am also concerned about being rejected for a MYSSA and being on some sort of blacklist which makes it even more difficult to apply.

Open the direct deposit account with Bangkok bank?   

My experience from dealing with Manila for Medicare is that appointments are needed for phone calls so I want to get everything in order before I try to set up a phone appointment.

Much appreciated if someone can point me in right direction regarding any part of this process.   ????

Manila and all their inadequacies are the choice we have living in Thailand.  SSA is FUBARed enough the way it is, then throw Manila into the equations and sandy for some of the most stupid stunts you will ever witness.  

YOU NEED A MAIL ADDRESS where you will receive mail.   Why?, because just like the IRS, whenever you call and ask a question the clown on the other end of the call will give you answer that is very different from the next SSA clown you speak with.  GET IT IN WRITING. Most of the mail correspondence will take 30 to 60 days.

The online SSA site helps, I use it much.

TAXes. Get an address in a tax free STATE and a private mail address where they can sign for your mail and forward it to you here in LOFS.

MED A and B....A is free, but be is not.  The premiums are easy to look up online.  They take your income and filing status from two years back form1040 and use a matrix for premiums.

2019...individual    : married, filing jointly    : married, filing separately    Part B monthly premium for 2021
≤ $88,000    ≤ $176,000    ≤ $88,000    $148.50
> $88,00–$111,000    > $176,000–$222,000    —    $207.90
> $111,000–$138,000    > $222,000–$276,000    —    $297
> $138,000–$165,000    > $276,000–$330,000    —    $386.10

SOME EXCEPTIONS.

If you do not elect Part b,c,d , then if you later decide to take it during the open enrollment period , then you will pay a penalty.

If living LOFS, get a local policy that covers you for 30 days a year in USA, or other temp period.

You really need to go online and download the booklet, there are so many exceptions and unqualified people at the SSA.  Study the booklet..it is major messed up, but one of your only sources.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, cmarshall said:

even if you have opened the account you still have to communicate with Manila to start your benefits.

Not if you are using your US address I never had to deal with SS in Manila at all applied on line and 10 Mins later was told all good and when my first payment would be made. This was 3 years ago in my case things may have changed 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Pib said:

OP,

You do "not" need a MySSA acct to apply for social security  retirement.  A MySSA acct is just something that comes in very handy sometimes, but a MySSA acct is not needed to apply for SSA retirement. 

A VPN connection is not needed unless your local Thai Internet Service Provider (ISP) blocks access for some reason.  Sometimes people report they can't reach certain websites with their Thai ISP.  I remember a half dozen years ago I couldn't reach certain U.S. govt websites when I was with True for my home internet....that lasted for about 6 months...then magicially started working without needing a VPN connection.  I switched to AIS Fibre years ago and have never needed to use a VPN to reach any U.S. govt website.

Either apply online at below SSA webpage (select the Retirement option) or apply directly with Manila via email/phone.   When applying online at the main SSA webpage Manila might still contact you if SSA needs additional info as SSA at Baltimore may ask Manila to step in.   Up to you...apply online at the SSA website (no account needed) or apply with Manila.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/forms/

The fact that you are already enrolled in Medicare is not a factor.   However, once your SS retirement pay begins the monthly Medicare payment will start coming from/switch to coming from your monthly retirement payment.

https://www.medicare.gov/your-medicare-costs/pay-part-a-part-b-premiums#:~:text=If you get Social Security,Insurance) - if you buy it

Regarding how to receive the SS payment, if you use your Thailand address when applying for SS benefits you can also signed up for International Direct Deposit (IDD) where you monthly payment can be sent to "any" Thai bank....to a regular Thai bank account which has not restrictions....this includes Bangkok Bank.   

However if you signup for payment via Automated Clearing House (ACH) then you must use Bangkok Bank as they are the only Thai bank with ACH receiving capability and it must into their special/restricted savings acct for reoccurring U.S. govt payments   

The exchange rate/fees associate with IDD and ACH are different....at approx $1,125 and above you will receive a little more than if using IDD after all the exchange rate/fee dust settles.  But for below approx $1,125 IDD will end-up putting more baht into your acct.    And of course beyond just how much each method ends up providing in baht to your acct you would also need to consider the other pros and cons of each method like the ACH method which requires the special Bangkok Bank acct, the IDD method which will not result in international transfer coding on your passbook if that coding is important to you like using the monthly income method for annual extension of stay, etc...etc. 

As to when your retirement benefit will start and assuming no long delays in processing your application, you benefit will start on the date  your request when applying as there is a block where SSA asks when you want your benefit to start.   Let's say just for example you want your benefit to start July 2021 that means you will start earning the benefit on 1 July and then SSA will pay for the July benefit month on 3 Aug 2021 if you used your Thailand address when applying as beneficiaries with foreign addresses are paid on the 3rd of the month.    Pretty much just like work a job where you are paid once a month....you are paid shortly after you complete a month of work.

Now if  you use a U.S. address when applying for your retirement benefit then you will not be eligible for payment via IDD...must use ACH....and payment for your July benefit month will be on one of three Wednesdays in August based on what day during the month your were born.  See below SSA weblink.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10031-2021.pdf

Pib: A plethora of accurate information. I'm impressed.

One note about ACH... my SS benefits are directly deposited into Kasikorn Bank. 

Thanks again, for the full scoped and detailed response. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Bradmeister said:

Pib: A plethora of accurate information. I'm impressed.

One note about ACH... my SS benefits are directly deposited into Kasikorn Bank. 

Thanks again, for the full scoped and detailed response. 

ACH to Kaiskorn!?   What ACH routing number are you using?  You sure you didn't mean IDD?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, paulbrow said:

The manila office will contact you to get a certified copy of your passport, which you do at the embassy and send to Manila office. 

Are you a naturalized U.S. citizen or U.S. citizen by birth?   

A naturalized citizen usually has to provided their original or certified copy of their U.S. Passport or Naturalization Certificate based on two naturalized U.S. citizens I hand walked thru SS pension application process with Manila.    But a U.S. citizen by birth does not have to provide any ID like a passport unless maybe the SS office wants to make sure you are who you say you are.   When I applied thru Manila a few years ago for my SS pension no ID was required...I'm a U.S. citizen by birth.

• Like 1

As Pib said you do nto need to have a MYSS account to apply fir benefits online. I did and I am unable to get MySS account due to foreign address.

I too did not need to show passport at all. Didn't send any documents just filled out the application and direct deposit form.

• Like 2
On 2/26/2021 at 8:13 PM, Pib said:

You do "not" need a MySSA acct to apply for social security  retirement.  A MySSA acct is just something that comes in very handy sometimes, but a MySSA acct is not needed to apply for SSA retirement. 

Good to hear you  say the MySSA is not needed and Sheryl says she applied online and does not have a MySSA.

I suppose prompting doesn't mean it is required.  Guess I will find out.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

Apply Online
Follow these steps to apply online:

To start your application, go to our Apply for Benefits page, read and agree to the Terms of Service. Click “Next.”
On that page, review the “Getting Ready” section to make sure you have the information you need to apply.
Select “Start A New Application.”
We will ask a few questions about who is filling out the application.
You will then sign into your my Social Security account or you will be prompted to create one.
Complete the application

However if you signup for payment via Automated Clearing House (ACH) then you must use Bangkok Bank as they are the only Thai bank with ACH receiving capability and it must into their special/restricted savings acct for reoccurring U.S. govt payments   

For those who opened Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit Accounts or changed their Bangkok Bank account to Direct Deposit what did your branch require?

The Bangkok Bank website makes it sound like they need SS forms from me.

How to apply for Direct Deposit

If receiving payments from a US Government Agency

Download the “Direct Deposit Sign-up Form (SF1199A)” from http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online. Complete the form to sign up for Direct Deposit with your relevant US government agency and include information which are your name and physical address in Thailand; your bank account number and the name and address of your Bangkok Bank Branch in Thailand; 9-digit routing number 026008691 of Bangkok Bank New York  Branch.

Open a savings account at any Bangkok Bank branch (except micro branches). If you already have an account with Bangkok Bank, you can use your existing bank account for this service, although we will need to change the type of account in line with the Direct Deposit’s terms and conditions.

Complete a “Direct Deposit Service Application” form, which you can pick up at any Bangkok Bank branch (except micro branches). You can also choose to fill out an SMS Remittance Alert Service Request Form to receive an SMS notification on your mobile phone when funds have been successfully transferred into your Bangkok Bank account.

Submit all forms to Bangkok Bank with the following supporting documents:

Identification Card/Government Official ID Card/Passport together with a customer identification document such as your Social Security Card, Annuitant ID Card etc.
A document from the relevant agency giving evidence of your right to receive the payments.
After verifying your documents, Bangkok Bank will submit your application to the government agency, asking them to approve your request to receive the funds via Direct Deposit.

After the request is approved by the US Government Agency, your payments will be electronically deposited directly into your Bangkok Bank account.

IDD method which will not result in international transfer coding on your passbook if that coding is important to you like using the monthly income method for annual extension of stay, etc...etc. 

My SSA is DD to my SCB account and is listed as an International Deposit. In fact, I just extended my Visa using The SCB printout.

1 hour ago, Jeffrey346 said:

My SSA is DD to my SCB account and is listed as an International Deposit. In fact, I just extended my Visa using The SCB printout.

What coding/description appears? 

The final leg of  SSA IDD payment is via "Bahtnet" which is a domestic transfer.  Bangkok Bank bank description and coding is simply Bahtnet and BTN, respectively. 

If your SCB acct/passbook shows similar Bahtnet description/coding...that is, some type of coding saying it was a Bahtnet transfer then that is domestic transfer coding and not International coding.

And when you say SCB printout are you talking getting an "annual" statement which probably takes a few days to a week to get from SCB or some simple printout you are doing directly from you computer or at a bank branch....something like a 6 month printout.

Edited by Pib
2 minutes ago, Pib said:

What coding/description appears? 

The final leg of  SSA IDD payment is via "Bahtnet" which is a domestic transfer.  Bangkok Bank bank description and coding is simply Bahtnet and BTN, respectively. 

If your SCB acct/passbook shows similar Bahtnet description/coding...that is, some type of coding saying it was a Bahtnet transfer then that is domestic transfer coding and not International coding.

The coding says Federal CITITHBX and then a transaction number

Looks like the SSA sends my DD to Citibank who sends it to SCB.

FYI.. Immigration had no problem with these transactions. 

Just now, Jeffrey346 said:

The coding says Federal CITITHBX and then a transaction number

Looks like the SSA sends my DD to Citibank who sends it to SCB.

FYI.. Immigration had no problem with these transactions. 

Yes, Citibank is contractor bank for SSA payments .  A credit Advice showing the trek of the payment will also show it going thru Citibank Europe before arriving Citibank Thailand.

In your description I don't see anything identity it as an International transfer...just coding it came from Citibank Thailand and you got a description of Federal.  If that satisfies your local immigration office if you are using the monthly income method for your annual extension then that's good....but for other immigration offices they may want  Thai bank statement/letter that clearly shows the transfers were "international" based on transfer coding.  

36 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yes, Citibank is contractor bank for SSA payments .  A credit Advice showing the trek of the payment will also show it going thru Citibank Europe before arriving Citibank Thailand.

In your description I don't see anything identity it as an International transfer...just coding it came from Citibank Thailand and you got a description of Federal.  If that satisfies your local immigration office if you are using the monthly income method for your annual extension then that's good....but for other immigration offices they may want  Thai bank statement/letter that clearly shows the transfers were "international" based on transfer coding.  

The coding I posted is from my SCB App.  I just looked at the coding on the printout from the bank and it has a column called channel and has the following:

IFT  BNT 1/FEDERAL CITITHBK AND A TRANSACTION NUMBER

11 minutes ago, Jeffrey346 said:

The coding I posted is from my SCB App.  I just looked at the coding on the printout from the bank and it has a column called channel and has the following:

IFT  BNT 1/FEDERAL CITITHBK AND A TRANSACTION NUMBER

The "BNT" above stands for Bahnet which is a Thailand-only/unique domestic transfer system but does interface with the SWIFT system.  The  CITITHBX code you mentioned a few posts up is  the Citibank Thailand SWIFT/BIC code; it not SCB unique transfer coding.  After Citibank Thailand receives the money they transferred it over to your SCB acct via Bahtnet (BNT).   The IFT stands for Interbank Funds Transfer (IFT).    The SCB coding for a foreign remittance is "FRC".....Foreign Remitttance  

Basically the transfer is saying it was an interbank transfer with the last leg being via Bahtnet.  And where SCB is using "Federal" as a  transfer description that's purely a SCB internal policy description OR more probably they are extracting the first word from the originator/sender to build a description which is the Federal Reserve Bank of New York which the US Treasury/SSA uses to send SSA payments. 

Ultimately, the final leg of your SSA payment via IDD is via domestic transfer (Bahtnet) from Citibank Thailand to SCB or Bangkok Bank...or K-bank...whatever the final/receiving bank is.  It's not being coded as a foreign transfer at SCB.   However, Citibank Thailand would have the transfer coded as a foreign transfer if you had to get a Credit Advice from them to prove it was an international transfer.  But once CitiBank Thailand inserted it into the Bahtnet system to complete the final it changed to a domestic transfer.

As mentioned earlier if you are using the monthly income method for you annual extension and your immigration office is satisfied with whatever docs your are providing to show such transfers then that's good.   There is no standardization among immigration offices regarding proof of international transfers....it can range from some offices being fine with simple Transferwise PDF receipts while others are hard core in wanting a Thai bank annual statement showing "international transfers."    And of course such Thai bank letter formats, coding, and policy vary from Thai bank to Thai bank. 

7 minutes ago, Pib said:

The "BNT" above stands for Bahnet which is a Thailand-only/unique domestic transfer system but does interface with the SWIFT system.  The  CITITHBX code you mentioned a few posts up is  the Citibank Thailand SWIFT/BIC code; it not SCB unique transfer coding.  After Citibank Thailand receives the money they transferred it over to your SCB acct via Bahtnet (BNT).   The IFT stands for Interbank Funds Transfer (IFT).    The SCB coding for a foreign remittance is "FRC".....Foreign Remitttance  

Basically the transfer is saying it was an interbank transfer with the last leg being via Bahtnet.  And where SCB is using "Federal" as a  transfer description that's purely a SCB internal policy description OR more probably they are extracting the first word from the originator/sender to build a description which is the Federal Reserve Bank of New York which the US Treasury/SSA uses to send SSA payments. 

Ultimately, the final leg of your SSA payment via IDD is via domestic transfer (Bahtnet) from Citibank Thailand to SCB or Bangkok Bank...or K-bank...whatever the final/receiving bank is.  It's not being coded as a foreign transfer at SCB.   However, Citibank Thailand would have the transfer coded as a foreign transfer if you had to get a Credit Advice from them to prove it was an international transfer.  But once CitiBank Thailand inserted it into the Bahtnet system to complete the final it changed to a domestic transfer.

As mentioned earlier if you are using the monthly income method for you annual extension and your immigration office is satisfied with whatever docs your are providing to show such transfers then that's good.   There is no standardization among immigration offices regarding proof of international transfers....it can range from some offices being fine with simple Transferwise PDF receipts while others are hard core in wanting a Thai bank annual statement showing "international transfers."    And of course such Thai bank letter formats, coding, and policy vary from Thai bank to Thai bank. 

You are definitely the expertly here.. but I do think IFT stands for International Bank Transfer. as I transfer funds between  BKK Bank and SCB all the time and those transfers are coded ENET. 

In any event, no matter what the IFT actually stands for.. your correct by saying it's a good thing KK Img accepts it as an INT transfer.

2 hours ago, Jeffrey346 said:

You are definitely the expertly here.. but I do think IFT stands for International Bank Transfer. as I transfer funds between  BKK Bank and SCB all the time and those transfers are coded ENET. 

In any event, no matter what the IFT actually stands for.. your correct by saying it's a good thing KK Img accepts it as an INT transfer.

SCB "ENET" coding just means via internet banking.

image.png.74b6cd7711af07dfaa38d551966c5258.png

SCB "IFT" coding means Interbank Funds Transfer....like between two Thai banks.

image.png.fea7d9f718d2549d3235c73439d3a5ce.png

SCB "FRC" coding means the transfer was international...gets that coding when it stays in the SWIFT system the whole way vs being handed off to a domestic transfer system like Bahtnet or Smart transfer systems for the final leg.   Expect KK immigration is just easy going on proving monthly transfers were international based on bank statement/passbook coding OR  they already know from previous extension applicants using IDD that your SSA payment via IDD uses Bahtnet for the final leg.   Sometimes  immigration offices sometimes ask for a document showing the "source of funds" such as a SSA Pension Benefit Statement, Military Retirement Statement, XYZ Government Statement etc., which provides support the transfers are from the home country although the Thai bank coding just shows it as a domestic transfer....like being a Bahtnet transfer.

image.png.3a9f645608eabd4e7895df6c877dff3e.png

See below SCB transaction and coding webpage for more info.

https://www.scbeasy.com/v1.4/site/presignon/en/srv/srv_mpg_tcd.asp

• Like 1
9 hours ago, shortstop said:

For those who opened Bangkok Bank Direct Deposit Accounts or changed their Bangkok Bank account to Direct Deposit what did your branch require?

The Bangkok Bank website makes it sound like they need SS forms from me.

If you plan to use the ACH system which means you will be using the Bangkok Bank NY branch ACH routing number then you would complete a SF-1199a.....just the standard old form use for U.S. govt direct deposits via the ACH system.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/sf-1199-a_dirdeposit.pdf

Bangkok Bank "kinda pushes" this method since it means the monthly payments can only come to them as Bangkok Bank is the only Thai bank with ACH receiving capability and also allows the Bangkok Bank NY branch to earn a pass-thru fee.   This will also require the special direct deposit Bangkok Bank acct which means you can only accomplish withdrawals/transfers in person at a branch and no debit card is allow on the acct...the acct can only be in your name also.   The bank normally requires a copy of your Social Security card or some other document proving the SSN you are providing is correct....some people simply don't know their SSN or make typos when writing it on a form....and Bangkok Bank just wants to make sure the SSN is correct and is "your" SSN versus you being some identity theft scammer.    You can either open a new acct which creates the special direct deposit acct OR convert a current regular acct to a special direct deposit acct....the bank converts an acct by changing the underlying acct coding in their system (acct number does not change) and deactivating any debit card associated with the acct.  Recommend if using the ACH payment method is to open a new direct deposit acct....leave your other regular acct alone.

Now if your decide to use IDD vs ACH then you must use the SSA-1199-OP107 for Thailand form.  

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-1199.html

To use IDD you must have a foreign address onfile with the SSA...that is, like your Thailand address.  If wanting to use a U.S. address as in you really don't want the SSA to know you really live in Thailand then you will not be able to sign up for IDD.  If signing up for IDD you can use any Thai bank and just a regular acct with no restrictions...have  debit card....etc----even at Bangkok Bank.    So, if you want to use a Bangkok Bank acct and already have a regular acct (or open a new regular acct) just use that acct number on the SSA-1199 IDD form.  As mentioned earlier Bangkok Bank pushes the ACH method "only" because it makes them more fees and only Bangkok Bank can receive ACH payments.  But they process SSA-1199 for IDD also when the customer wants to use IDD....they just end up making less fees.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Pib said:

If you plan to use the ACH system which means you will be using the Bangkok Bank NY branch ACH routing number then you would complete a SF-1199a.....just the standard old form use for U.S. govt direct deposits via the ACH system.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/sf-1199-a_dirdeposit.pdf

Pib, thank you for your detailed reply!   ????

My understanding is Bangkok Bank sends this form to the Social Security Administration.  If they ask for an address, should I give them the Baltimore or Manila address?

6 minutes ago, shortstop said:

Pib, thank you for your detailed reply!   ????

My understanding is Bangkok Bank sends this form to the Social Security Administration.  If they ask for an address, should I give them the Baltimore or Manila address?

Which ever one you apply with.  If you apply directly with Manila use Manila.  Bangkok Bank will know where to send the form...they will send it for you...OR, you can send it yourself.   You don't even need to provide one for payment via ACH unless SSA requests you provide one.  When you apply SSA will ask for your bank acct info on the application (i.e., routing number and acct number) and will not ask for a SF1199 unless for some reason they want one from you.     But if signing up for IDD you'll need to send the 1199 IDD form.

Actually SSA policy says they can accept bank acct info strictly from your application or by 1199 form, email, letter, or telephone...up to them as to if they request a 1199 type form for some reason.  

• Like 1
On 2/28/2021 at 1:11 PM, Pib said:

The bank normally requires a copy of your Social Security card or some other document proving the SSN you are providing is correct....some people simply don't know their SSN or make typos when writing it on a form....and Bangkok Bank just wants to make sure the SSN is correct and is "your" SSN versus you being some identity theft scammer.   

I went to Bangkok Bank today and they wanted my Social Security card.  Can't remember the last time I was asked to show my SS card and guess I lost it long ago and never saw the need to replace it.  Suppose I can try another branch.