Thai Girlfriend pregnant we wish to move to England as fast as possible

Just now, tomazbodner said:

Careful there. Her nursing degrees might be worthless in the UK and she might have to get re-certified.

Her degree is not "worthless" but neither can she automatically practice nursing. There is a  process she has to go through and it is fairly complicated. She will have to pass an exam in English proficiency as well as an exam in nursing and a structured clinical examination

See here

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles/nursing/information-overseas-nurses

• Like 1

On 2/26/2021 at 1:27 PM, BritManToo said:

The 1982 Births and Deaths Regulations which came into effect on 1 January 1983, provided for the registration of births at British Consulates and High Commissions of children who are British Citizens, British Dependent Territories Citizens, and British Overseas Citizens. Birth certificates issued under these regulations were historically accepted as evidence of a holder's claim to citizenship in their own right.

As of 01/09/2015 'consular birth certificates' issued for registrations after 01/01/1983 or certified copies of registrations of pre 01/01/1983 births issued after 01/01/2014 are no longer accepted by HM Passport Office as evidence of British Nationality or proof of personal/parental details for children born outside Her Majesty's Dominions since 01/01/1983. A foreign birth certificate as well as full evidence of a legitimate claim by decent must be provided as for any other birth overseas.

As I understood it, registering a birth here at the consulate didn't have much in the way of advantages and so I simply got UK passports for both my children when they were about three years old although they haven't used them for travel yet.  Getting the passports was a bit tiresome and required a trip to VFS in Bangkok but otherwise easy and without incident.  Are you suggesting that there may be a problem renewing them when the time is due?  My thinking was that once issued with a passport, taking it away or voiding it in some way was a major deal and a very unlikely scenario.

On 2/26/2021 at 8:54 PM, Stuart Fox said:

Yes I'm divorced(nice spot on my history haha). Regarding this question.

My job is secure and someone did make a valid point she is covered by the hospital that is very true. However, I believe I may be wrong about education system here in Thailand. Schooling would be much better for her/him in UK if I am correct? I understand UK rent prices would be a tad high however it is a good place to bring up a family.

I was planning on moving in with my family for one month then move out to a house as soon as possible if she is accepted into the UK. 

There is a lot NHS based jobs for my girlfriend as she is proficient in English her education is straight A's and degree's will show that to any employer so would be rather easy for her. 

I work online for a major game company in USA so i am fine and able to work anywhere in the world. I have been fine for 5-6 years. Again roughly making 4000-5000usd per month. 

Back up a bit and read the web site I have linked. Not so simple for those trained in Thailand.

https://www.nurses.co.uk/nursing/blog/essential-advice-for-overseas-nurses-looking-for-a-job-in-the-uk/

Those accepted onto the NMC register that have been trained outside the EEA will be required to take a nursing or midwifery course to adapt their existing skills to allow them to practice in UK.

Individuals will need to enrol on a course before they arrive in the UK; course providers can be found via the NMC website.

While completing the course, applicants may be able to find work in the UK as Healthcare Assistants or as an Auxiliary Trained Abroad worker.

16 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Careful there. Her nursing degrees might be worthless in the UK and she might have to get re-certified.

IMO the greater problem might be the cultural difference in nursing practice. I am a western trained nurse and we actually looked after patients hands on. When I was a patient in a Thai private hospital I noticed that the extent of nursing by qualified nurses was giving out the meds and following the Dr around. Actual nursing care was done by assistants, and overall I was not impressed by the nursing care I received.

When my mother in law went into a public hospital, her family had to stay with her to do the actual nursing care, as nurses didn't do that. My wife had to sleep under her bed.

Does the OP's girlfriend understand that nursing in the UK is significantly different to that in Thailand?

As an agency nurse for my first year in the UK, I worked in many London hospitals, and I was not impressed by the nursing situation. It may have changed, but wards were chronically short staffed and the nursing staff overworked. Bullying by management was also a significant problem.

23 minutes ago, Greenside said:

As I understood it, registering a birth here at the consulate didn't have much in the way of advantages and so I simply got UK passports for both my children when they were about three years old although they haven't used them for travel yet.  Getting the passports was a bit tiresome and required a trip to VFS in Bangkok but otherwise easy and without incident.  Are you suggesting that there may be a problem renewing them when the time is due?  My thinking was that once issued with a passport, taking it away or voiding it in some way was a major deal and a very unlikely scenario.

No I'm suggesting renewing a passport every 5 years so your kid has ongoing 'proof of UK citizenship' is not only costly but a pain in the bum.

A Birth certificate, you only need to buy once and lasts for their lifetime.

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

As an agency nurse for my first year in the UK, I worked in many London hospitals, and I was not impressed by the nursing situation. It may have changed, but wards were chronically short staffed and the nursing staff overworked. Bullying by management was also a significant problem.

Back in the UK you were lucky to have 1 nurse per ward.

In Thailand there were almost as many nurses/assistants as there were patients.

I always remember when my son was born in a Thai government hospital.

There was one nurse to carry him around, and another two following waiting for their turn to carry him.

Just now, BritManToo said:

Back in the UK you were lucky to have 1 nurse per ward.

In Thailand there were almost as many nurses/assistants as there were patients.

I always remember when my son was born in a Thai government hospital.

There was one nurse to carry him around, and another two following waiting for their turn to carry him.

I only ever worked on ONE ward, ONE time, with one qualified staff member, so there were two qualified nurses working on the ward. Even if only one qualified nurse on the ward there would have to be a charge nurse in the office.

While there were only two qualified nurses, there were several nurse aids.

Nurses in the UK get paid quite well, but they work for it. The days of trainee nurses doing all the work while the qualified nurses sat in the office flirting with the doctors ended last century.

My advice to the OP is not to be too sure that she will easily get a job and be happy doing it. Well run good hospitals IMO don't need too many new nurses as the staff tend to stay till they retire. Sadly, the London hospitals I worked on mostly didn't qualify as well run or good workplaces, but the pay was better than in NZ and I got more holidays in the UK to spend in Thailand.

On 2/27/2021 at 2:49 AM, brewsterbudgen said:

A UK passport is proof of British citizenship.  It can only be issued to British citizens. The only downside is that someone who is British By Descent cannot pass on their British citizenship to their children if they are born abroad.

My daughter was born in the USA. She has a British passport through me. I was born in the UK.  The downside is as stated. Should she have a child born outside of the UK she cannot pass her British citizenship to them as she was not born there. The upside is she has 3 passports. One through her mother from Brazil, one through me, and the other a US passport because she was born there.

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

No I'm suggesting renewing a passport every 5 years so your kid has ongoing 'proof of UK citizenship' is not only costly but a pain in the bum.

Birth certificates are not required when renewing a British passport; even if the previous one has expired. See Applying for a passport from outside the UK; Supporting Documents.

The purpose of supplying a birth certificate with the first application is to show the applicant is a British citizen. With a renewal the old passport, even if expired, shows this. Citizenship does not expire just because the passport has.

However, if one does want to register a birth with the UK authorities, this is now done online. See Register a birth abroad.

Current cost is £150, plus cost of posting the supporting documents t the UK plus an additional £25 if you want those documents returned. I'll leave it up to individuals to decide if it's worth it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Advice from someone who has been where you are.

Get a UK birth certificate by taking the Thai birth certificate to the UK embassy to get them to have it notarised as genuine by the Thai government and then officially notarised by the UK embassy as genuine. Then use the registrar at the UK Embassy to add the birth officially into the the Register there and issue a UK birth certificate.

Then I advise you to immediately get a UK passport for your child so you have solid proof that they are British. It also links photo ID to the birth certificate which really helps when you try to add them to other types of documents later. 

It was a bit of a pain for me as holding a baby still in a photo booth, having them look to the front and keeping myself out of the shot was not easy. Once you have both of these there is no question of their citizenship and getting another passport issued in the future is so much easier. Also if you need to travel on short notice you are prepared.

The only thing to remember is that children change a lot as they grow so for the next passport you will still have to get the picture validated by someone as per a first passport. I learnt this by experience. Seek out people who meet the signing criteria where you are and introduce them to the child early in their life so they can confirm they have known them for the required period when it is time for the next passport.

Edited by Muzzique
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Muzzique said:

Then use the registrar at the UK Embassy to add the birth officially into the the Register there and issue a UK birth certificate.

This is no longer possible. You now have to do it online and then send the application to the UK. Where the birth will be recorded with the General Register Offices or at the National Records Office of Scotland. You can also request a consular birth certificate if you wish.

See the link in my post above.

Doing so or not has no bearing whatsoever on the child's British citizenship and it is not needed for a British passport application.

As I say above: current cost is £150, plus the cost of posting the supporting documents to the UK, plus an additional £25 if you want those documents returned. I'll leave it up to individuals to decide if it's worth it.

You know the story is off when someone says to earn 4-5K but have 10K saved hehe.

Only together for a year + she has a very good job in TH (likely she would earn less in UK after taxes doing the same, aside the fact she would first need to study X year again to work in UK). Not sure why you think to need and rush out of TH, you are better off here in the first years and until real school starts anyway, in almost every single aspect. You put yourself in a nasty situation if moving back fast + getting drama there.

With her current position and job the entire medical expenses would be almost free, or discounted. Then government still gives you some money back too on top of that. Great attention and personal nurses, try getting that in the bankrupt UK during covid times lol.

Baby stuff cheaper too, clothes, diapers and all that stuff (you mainly only need the first 2 years). Her family being here, she will change with emotions all the time + it would be extremely hard in a different country and baby at the same time, without family.

Anyway, just my info, I dare to bet like 5K baht you would come back to me in 5 years and say I was right lol. (Just been trough it myself).

P.S. Prepare for hell. Only the first few months are nice and then it is misery for a long time. Both baby and wife. From 2 years it is more easy again with the baby ;).

Edited by ChaiyaTH

On 2/26/2021 at 3:31 PM, Muzzique said:

There are a lot of holes to fall down. You need to have a job, a home and show your income. You need to show that the size of the home is enough for 2 people. Take it from me it's not an easy journey. You must prove all these things. If you miss one it can be rejected. Processing times can be huge. 

Before Jan 1st this year it would have been so much easier. Just move to an EU country and get a job then the only thing you had to prove was you were married.

I am a Brit in Germany. My wife didn't need an appointment with the German embassy, she just showed with the marriage certificate at the Bangkok embassy, was whisked inside. There she was issued an immediate Schengen visa and we had the passport back in 3 days. On arrival in Germany we just went to the town hall and registered her as living here. took 10 minutes a with only the marriage certificate.  Then the day after we took her to get her 5 years resident card. that took 10 minutes too. No documents, language tests, certificates, bank statements, only the marriage certificate was needed. Then you use the Surinder Singh immigration route to get into the UK if you want to move there. The right for an EU citizen to return with his partner to their home country under the EU freedom of movement act.

The longest time was getting the validation from the Thai government in Bangkok that it was a genuine marriage certificate. ???? That took 8 weeks 

Unfortunately this easy way is closed for Brits now. It's a long road I'm afraid for you now and with COVID it's even longer.

Best advice is as stated here. stay in Thailand.

I am a German and I really doubt what you claim here.

A Schengen Visa cannot be used to settle down in Germany.

You will need a " Familienzusammenführungsvisa".

To get this she will have to pass a German language test at the Goethe Institute in BKK. You have to apply for it at the Embassy but the decision will be made in Germany by the "Auslaenderamt"  where she wants to live.

First she will get a "Aufenthaltsgenehmigung" which is valid for maximum 3 years.

Sure the Auslaenderamt wants to see documents, bank statements und a language test.

After staying at least 3 years she can apply for a "Niederlassungserlaubnis" .

When she gets this she can stay indefinite.

Many people come here for advice so it is in everybody's interest that the  advice given is true.

Edited by hanuman2543
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, hanuman2543 said:

To get this she will have to pass a German language test at the Goethe Institute in BKK. You have to apply for it at the Embassy but the decision will be made in Germany by the "Auslaenderamt"  where she wants to live.

First she will get a "Aufenthaltsgenehmigung" which is valid for maximum 3 years.

Sure the Auslaenderamt wants to see documents, bank statements und a language test.

Many people come here for advice so it is in everybody's interest that the  advice given is true.

Did  you realise that UK is no longer a member of the EU?

That can't be said about your c€@p.

1) The majority of brexit voters in the UK didn't want to be in the EU. So we left. Bye bye!

2) Taking a Thai lady out of Thailand to live overseas brings a whole load of challenges. Easier and better for us guys to live here in Thailand in paradise with our tee rak. IMO.

• Sad 2

13 hours ago, hanuman2543 said:

This is correct now,

before you could use a Schengen Visa to travel to Europe, use the Freedom of Movement (but here the person claiming Freedome of Movement, must have been living here and proving residence) and apply for a Residence Permit (Aufenthaltskarte), but since the UK has come our of Europe no longer available!!!!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, beano2274 said:

This is correct now,

before you could use a Schengen Visa to travel to Europe, use the Freedom of Movement (but here the person claiming Freedome of Movement, must have been living here and proving residence) and apply for a Residence Permit (Aufenthaltskarte), but since the UK has come our of Europe no longer available!!!!

A Schengen Visa is not the correct visa to settle in a EU country and never was .

A Schengen visa is a short-stay visa that allows a person to travel to any members of the Schengen Area, per stays up to 90 days for tourism or business purposes. ... It enables its holder to enter, freely travel within, and leave the Schengen zone from any of the Schengen member countries.

50 minutes ago, hanuman2543 said:

A Schengen Visa is not the correct visa to settle in a EU country and never was .

A Schengen visa is a short-stay visa that allows a person to travel to any members of the Schengen Area, per stays up to 90 days for tourism or business purposes. ... It enables its holder to enter, freely travel within, and leave the Schengen zone from any of the Schengen member countries.

correct but I and a few others I know did it like that before, but now it is not available

• Like 1

21 hours ago, hanuman2543 said:

21 hours ago, hanuman2543 said:

Before Jan 1st this year it would have been so much easier............Unfortunately this easy way is closed for Brits now.....   Best advice is as stated here. stay in Thailand.

As I stated, after the 31 of Dec 2020 it is no longer possible for UK citizens but it is for other EU nationals.

I stated that this was not an option in his case.

Unfortunately you seem to have no understanding of EU law. German law regarding family reunion only applies to German citizens and non EU residents.

Here is the EU directive

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:02004L0038-20110616

Under EU law the spouse or civil partner of an EU citizen has the same rights of entry, residence and freedom of movement within the EU as their partner upon marriage. There are no requirements other than a passport and a marriage certificate to enter and reside in an EU state provided they are doing to to take up residence with their EU spouse who is legally living there. If the EU citizen is in their own country then the residency laws of that country apply and not EU law.

Unless their are extreme grounds, no member state can refuse or delay the issue of an entry visa or charge for it.

For UK citizens resident in the EU and for EU citizens residing in the UK who where there before 31 December 2020 this law still applies. For any other UK citizen it is closed.

Here is some more information from your government website.

https://www.make-it-in-germany.com/en/living-in-germany/family-reunification/spouses-eu-citizens

If your partner wishes to move to reside in German they should apply for a family residents visa. However if they wish to visit  they can simply apply for a Schengen visa. Either way neither can be refused and if you visit and choose to remain then EU law ensures your rights in this. 

This is no longer an option for UK citizens unless they were resident in the EU before 31 December 2020 as I stated.

However other EU citizens may wish to take advantage of this easier way so that is why it was stated here. Note that you must show extended residency, simply moving there and then quickly applying would meet with a refusal so make sure you are committed to stay and have your own extended residency secured first and have secured employment.

The biggest advantage was it did not cost anything except for the 5 year permanent resident card which was €37.

https://service.berlin.de/dienstleistung/324282/en/

Edited by Muzzique
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Muzzique said:

As I stated, after the 31 of Dec 2020 it is no longer possible for UK citizens but it is for other EU nationals.

I stated that this was not an option in his case.

Unfortunately you seem to have no understanding of EU law. German law regarding family reunion only applies to German citizens and non EU residents.

Here is the EU directive

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:02004L0038-20110616

Under EU law the spouse or civil partner of an EU citizen has the same rights of entry, residence and freedom of movement within the EU as their partner upon marriage. There are no requirements other than a passport and a marriage certificate to enter and reside in an EU state provided they are doing to to take up residence with their EU spouse who is legally living there. If the EU citizen is in their own country then the residency laws of that country apply and not EU law.

Unless their are extreme grounds, no member state can refuse or delay the issue of an entry visa or charge for it.

For UK citizens resident in the EU and for EU citizens residing in the UK who where there before 31 December 2020 this law still applies. For any other UK citizen it is closed.

Here is some more information from your government website.

https://www.make-it-in-germany.com/en/living-in-germany/family-reunification/spouses-eu-citizens

If your partner wishes to move to reside in German they should apply for a family residents visa. However if they wish to visit  they can simply apply for a Schengen visa. Either way neither can be refused and if you visit and choose to remain then EU law ensures your rights in this. 

This is no longer an option for UK citizens unless they were resident in the EU before 31 December 2020 as I stated.

However other EU citizens may wish to take advantage of this easier way so that is why it was stated here. Note that you must show extended residency, simply moving there and then quickly applying would meet with a refusal so make sure you are committed to stay and have your own extended residency secured first and have secured employment.

The biggest advantage was it did not cost anything except for the 5 year permanent resident card which was €37.

https://service.berlin.de/dienstleistung/324282/en/

The first card is not permanent Residency for EU Nationals it has a date when it expires, this is also known as an Article 10 Residence Card, then after 5 years you get one with no expiry date, this is an Article 20 Residence Card

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, beano2274 said:

The first card is not permanent Residency for EU Nationals it has a date when it expires, this is also known as an Article 10 Residence Card, then after 5 years you get one with no expiry date, this is an Article 20 Residence Card

Thanks for the correction. Yes it is valid for 5 years only then another is issued for permanent residency.

Edited by Muzzique
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, thonglorjimmy said:

Indeed, six months since the last post, I’m surprised that you decided to resurrect it without actually adding anything which might be helpful. 

I didn't resurrect it - the subject was included in the ASEANNOW daily summary/list for today. The date wasn't visible, but when I clicked on the subject line the previous poSts and date came up, then I noticed the Feb date.