Republican leaders want a show of unity. Will Trump allow it?

webfact

21 minutes ago, Morch said:

Alright. How many rational Republicans are there? Certainly a whole lot of Republicans voted for Trump in the first place, and even more surprisingly (or not) more did so the second time around, when most of the stuff mentioned was already public knowledge.

Factor in voter attentions span - we're talking about 3 years from now (campaign start), much of this would be in the past, and obviously not all will be fixed - and blamed on Biden without blinking an eye.

Trump's legal troubles, on which some hang their hopes, may take longer than that to sort. Rationally, going into a campaign while these are on would seem foolish, but for Trump that'd be just another opportunity for the old battle cry "Witch hunt!".

I'd be weary.

George W. Bush who launched the 2nd Iraq War and had the worst economic disaster befall the country since the Great Depression, is now regarded positively by a majority of Americans. 

• Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, placeholder said:

George W. Bush who launched the 2nd Iraq War and had the worst economic disaster befall the country since the Great Depression, is now regarded positively by a majority of Americans. 

I believe you know my opinion of Trump. My comment was not so much about him, but rather about the voters.

Ultimately, a whole lot of Americans voted for him despite his many faults. And while Biden won, it was not by a landslide, and given public attention span, not an assured repeat in four years' time.

The poster I was replying to commented on 'rational' Republicans. You yourself posted more than once links reviewing the prevalence of belief in various conspiracy theories (most notably, QAnon) among Republican and Trump voters. Doubtful all will come to their senses by the next elections.

Edited by Morch

2 minutes ago, Morch said:

I believe you know my opinion of Trump. My comment was not so much about him, but rather about the voters.

Ultimately, a whole lot of Americans voted for him despite his many faults. And while Biden won, it was not by a landslide, and given public attention span, not an assured repeat in four years' time.

The poster I was replying to commented on 'rational' Republicans. You yourself posted more than once links reviewing the prevalence of belief in various conspiracy theories (most notably, QAnon) among Republican and Trump voters. Doubtful all will come to their senses by the next elections.

So was mine. I was just citing voter attitudes to support the notion that 4 years from now, voters may forget a lot of the demerits associated with Trump. That said, George W. had the good sense to behave decently once he was out of office. I doubt Trump is capable of controlling himself or even sees the need to do so..

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rudi49jr said:

I still think that quite a few Republicans did not so much vote for Trump but much more anti-Democrat. Many of them will never ever in a million years, for whatever reason, vote Democrat, so they will always vote for whatever candidate the Republican party comes up with, even if the candidate is as horrible as Trump. They would literally vote for the devil, if that was the Republican candidate, to avoid voting for a Democrat.

May be in 4 yrs from now , the re will be an alternative party  to vote for ... the ' American Patriots ' founded by Trump .

President Trump will certainly allow it.  As long as his fellow Republicans support him as their leader no problem.  Already McConnell and Romney have changed tunes and said they will support Trump.

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-mitch-mcconnell-elections-presidential-elections-2f1bafd09e81cff917036f2e5fd4dbea

Edited by ExpatOK
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, ExpatOK said:

President Trump will certainly allow it.  As long as his fellow Republicans support him as their leader no problem.  Already McConnell and Romney have changed tunes and said they will support Trump.

https://apnews.com/article/donald-trump-mitch-mcconnell-elections-presidential-elections-2f1bafd09e81cff917036f2e5fd4dbea

Please show where the support from Romney is for Trump in his statement "

Recently, Republican Sen. Mitt Romney of Utah, a longtime Trump opponent, predicted the former president would win the nomination if he ran again.

“I don’t know if he’ll run in 2024 or not, but if he does, I’m pretty sure he will win the nomination,” Romney said during an online forum hosted by The New York Times."

• Confused 1

15 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

That's the current status of the Trump party. No, it's not a joke.

It reminds me of a similar story from about 2000 years ago...

golden-trump-statue.jpg

Golden-Calf.jpg

So now it's "Gold man bad", eh?  ????

Edited by ExpatOK
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ExpatOK said:

So now it's "Gold man bad", eh?  ????

Na he earned that title by getting 500,000 + Americans killed by cowardice incompetence and dereliction of his oath of office it is funney tho that the Republican Party has sunk so low that they have a cartoon caricature for a leader hummmm?

• Like 1