Pattaya: Motorcycle taxi man gives his excuses after Walking Street attack - he's detained, Chilean gets apology basket

webfact

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

You ever have a sloppy fall down drunk keep interrupting you or pestering you when you're trying to have a conversation  or just trying to unwind at the end of a long day? Slurring words, drooling on you, taking endlessly long pauses to think of the word they're trying to say, constantly poking at you to get your attention, leaning into you like they might puke on you at any second, asking the same question over and over again? I have, and it can be annoying as hell. What the taxi driver did is inexcusable, but let's hope the Chilean guy learned something from all this as well.

Blame the victim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:
5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Had he fought back and got the better, I have no doubt some more WIN guys would have got involved to 'even things up'.....

4 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

I know what you're saying, but, if you're jacked and look like you can handle yourself, then bullies are a lot less likely to bother you. 
The kid looks skinny as heck , and very feeble. Sadly, a prime target for bullies...

Not everyone comes from a place where bulging biceps and a hairy chest are deemed vital to give one 'street cred'. Staying sober and in control of ones self can also keep one out of trouble.

• Like 2

The speculation will continue as we dont know what actually took place in the conversation prior to the attack. There is no real excuse for it, but we just dont know what provocation (if any) there was.

One poster has given a possible (feasable) scenario, its not victim blaming at all because we dont know, its just another viewpoint. Not being able to speak Thai, nor English it would seem, who knows what his tone expressions and body language conveyed as 90% or more of communication is non verbal. All speculation.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

Pattaya - the hub of baskets.

'the victim would be getting a basket by way of apology.'  This way the police can continue not working & just present fruit to crime victims.

Ha ha, yes. I can imagine your house is burgled, your car stolen, gold nicked, bank account cleared out, kids kidnapped, got a knife stuck in your back.....

Police response...

''sorry to hear you are a victim of crime. Here is a basket of fruit. If we can be of help in the future let us know. Love from the Police.'' ????

big, big problem probably because not pay an extra 300 baht.

just pay and leave.  sooooo easy.  but, oh no, nothing good happens at 2 a.m. if you are not with a girl.   no, no....    

this is why i'm fluent in Thai.  

and the guy in the video has no idea how to say Pattaya.  

yes, if his shoe has blood after hitting his face.....make foreigner pay for new shoes!!!!  

Do moto-taxi guys who screw up get sent to "inactive" posts (i.e. street corners in the outer edges of Nong Prue) until things quiet down ?

I seriously doubt much will come of this as it simply won't be worth the time or effort to prosecute and then put the guy in prison for a couple months (or less). Slap on the wrist, maybe 3 days penance in a local temple and then relocate to a different taxi stand in a different part of the city.

6 hours ago, CharlieH said:

"Chonburi provincial deputy Pol Col Korawat Hanpradit said this was a serious incident that had damaged both the image of Pattaya and Thailand as a whole. 

He promised swift action and said that the victim would be getting a basket by way of apology. "

So a "serious incident" is resolved and concluded with a basket of fruit ? Well done that will send a nice clear message to others about what happens after a "serious incident" has occured in brutally beating someone. Pathetic response, that will undoubtedly discourage similar behaviour and make people feel safer whilst on holiday.....NOT

"Jiap was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and detained in custody."  

6 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

the Chilean lad really needs to start lifting some weights and learn some self defense. Bullies will always pick on much smaller people. 

For real, I thought we should try to get along instead of building muscles, well muscles could be good to have if you  don't have a jack when getting a flat tire.

6 hours ago, CharlieH said:

"Chonburi provincial deputy Pol Col Korawat Hanpradit said this was a serious incident that had damaged both the image of Pattaya and Thailand as a whole. 

He promised swift action and said that the victim would be getting a basket by way of apology. "

So a "serious incident" is resolved and concluded with a basket of fruit ? Well done that will send a nice clear message to others about what happens after a "serious incident" has occured in brutally beating someone. Pathetic response, that will undoubtedly discourage similar behaviour and make people feel safer whilst on holiday.....NOT

agreed, no excuses. Personally, Pattaya (and a few areas in Phuket) have been the only places in Thailand that I've been a little extra vigilant - there seemed to be an underlying tension maybe due to the competition for visitor dollars. I agree with the mc taxi guy that dealing with a drunk can be annoying but that doesn't give anyone the right to stomp someone just because they're addled..

There are always 2 sides to a story, and then in the middle there is the truth. Unless any of was there, we will never no what happened. Of course some members of the Thai Visa Forum can't let a Thai bashing opportunity go to waste. Which makes me question , if life here sucks so bad, why do they even live here ? Why not go back to the UK or Europe where live is perfect. 

• Sad 3

12 minutes ago, Billpro785 said:

There are always 2 sides to a story, and then in the middle there is the truth. Unless any of was there, we will never no what happened. Of course some members of the Thai Visa Forum can't let a Thai bashing opportunity go to waste. Which makes me question , if life here sucks so bad, why do they even live here ? Why not go back to the UK or Europe where live is perfect. 

Did you miss the other side of the story?

6 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

the Chilean lad really needs to start lifting some weights and learn some self defense. Bullies will always pick on much smaller people. 

It always seem to be the case here, either they pick someone smaller or they are in packs, like wolves, I have never ever seen a one on one here, gutless lot, especially the other taxi rider who did very little to stop the beatings, at first it looked as if he was going to give him some as well, I learnt a long time ago, when you put the guy down, stop, if he gets up and wants to continue, then continue, but this is just a gutless frustrated, uneducated moron picking on someone much smaller than him and under the influence of alcohol, in other words, not a threat at all.

Unfortunately this guy will be back on the streets real soon, and if I were the guy on the receiving end, there wouldn't be a photo opp for the cops to play it all down, justice rarely served here, we all know that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Pattaya: Motorcycle taxi man gives his excuses after Walking Street attack - he's detained, Chilean gets apology basket

1pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

The man responsible for a brutal attack on a young Chilean man in Walking Street yesterday has given a bunch of excuses.

Meanwhile his victim got a bunch of flowers and some fruit to say sorry from the police on behalf of Thailand.

The story reached Thai national news with the violence from CCTV being shown to the nation after the attack at 2 am.

Bloodied Salvatore C., 24, needed hospital treatment after being slapped and kicked in the face.

Police arrested Amorn or "Jiap" Bunmee at his house in the afternoon and also took in Ritthisak, 45, who was also at the beating, for questioning.

Jiap said that the foreigner was drunk and had begged him for a ride. But there was a breakdown in communication and he told him to go elsewhere.

However, the tourist kept on imploring him for a ride and this caused Jiap to lose his temper.

He admitted that he is the kind of person that is "prone to annoyance" and "easily angered".

So he attacked him. 

1pm1.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

He admitted what he had done and apologized for his inappropriate behavior.

Ritthisak said he wasn't there for the whole incident but saw the attack bit and tried to calm the situation. He took the victim to the police station after.

Jiap was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and detained in custody. 

The charge may be upgraded if the medical report indicates that the injuries suffered by the Chilean are more serious.

Chonburi provincial deputy Pol Col Korawat Hanpradit said this was a serious incident that had damaged both the image of Pattaya and Thailand as a whole. 

He promised swift action and said that the victim would be getting a basket by way of apology. 

Such baskets usually contain flowers and fruit. 

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-26

It may have been a casket not a basket still with the flowers, I’ve seen lots of incidents over the years here like this but only the second time on video the last one being a German man in broad daylight down beach road, this was grevious body harm not a one off, he slapped him firstly then 2 kicks to the face/head a disgrace, no apologies needed for the scumbag, as he was sober, I am a taxi driver myself if that was me my badge and a large fine from the council without a magistrates court hearing or even crown court if judge thinks it needs long sentence over 18 months,the Chilean is built like a kid, maybe if he was the motorbike taxi man would of done the same, my thoughts anyway 

24 minutes ago, Billpro785 said:

Not Thai bashing to decry violence and thuggery, the victim has been hospitalised with serious injuries, and assailant is Thai.

• Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, Billpro785 said:

Of course some members of the Thai Visa Forum can't let a Thai bashing

yes there was a bashing - TVF members are discussing the bashing on this thread

Like I said yesterday, this is likely to have happened because the tourist asked a justified and simple question - how much to soi Buakoew a 2km taxi ride, the official fare should be no more than 40baht (25+5+5), I suspect the tourist was quoted in the range 200-300baht which got an unfavourable response which was also met with an unfavourable response that landed the tourist in hospital

Edited by smedly
  • Like 1

RE Jiap was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and detained in custody. 

The charge may be upgraded if the medical report indicates that the injuries suffered by the Chilean are more serious.

* In such brutal cases, blood tests of the abuser should have been mandatory as behaviour like this is most likely triggered by the use of yaba or ice - but of course such realities isn't good for the image of the family friendly resort Pattaya so better to cover it all up with a fruit basket ...

It is in cases like this you really see how far behind LOS actually is - sad, but true ...

Edited by ttrd
  • Like 1

Pathetic fatty who can hardly lift his leg higher than a foot of the ground. 
Fact he kept on attacking him shows he has zero care and the look at me pose in the photo backs up he thinks he is someone special. If he was he wouldn’t be driving a motorcycle taxi for a job ! 

• Like 2

"He promised swift action and said that the victim would be getting a basket by way of apology.  Such baskets usually contain flowers and fruit."

Wow! I wonder how the Chonburi provincial deputy Pol Col Korawat Hanpradit , and Pattaya Council and Police Departments can afford such extravagance! Flowers AND fruit - the mind boggles! Maybe the Council paid for the flowers, and the Police Dept paid for the fruit?

7 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

Victim blaming?

Plus TIT, in no time other "easily annoyed" Thai lads would gang up on him in number.

Remember the hua hin family vs thai lads?

In fact it is somewhat surprising the motorbike guy didn't need some helpers.

The truth, that most Thai guys have the doi dog attitude of fighting...alone barking, in group brave to attack.

Knowing the typical price is a wai + 500 thb fine, and even that is only when farang blaming doesn't work ( cameras work once in a while !!), there isn't real holding back, the guy probably won't even lose his motorbike taxi license.

Ps. Tomorrow a new article about sobbing motorbike taxi guys who can't make a living bcos no tourists come to Pattaya.