Pattaya: Motorcycle taxi man gives his excuses after Walking Street attack - he's detained, Chilean gets apology basket

webfact

2 hours ago, upu2 said:

If Thailand is serious about getting a good International immage then this guy who was responsible for the crime has to be given a serious jail sentence. Anything less and the image that the TAT wants for Pattaya will just drift further over the horizon.

In a seaside resort that relies on tourism, why are not all the related industries here demanding and speaking out for some control of things like this ? And are these types of problems more so here than for example in : Cambodia, Vietnam, Mexico or Costa Rica ?

22 hours ago, worgeordie said:

I thought that it was a motorbike taxi job, giving people rides, I hope it's not a 500 THB fine

and a basket of flowers and fruit, and who paid the lads hospital bill .

regards Worgeordie

Personally I think the Thai government should be responsible for the hospital bills for all foreigners who are assaulted or injuries caused by Thai citizens ????

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

Personally I think the Thai government should be responsible for the hospital bills for all foreigners who are assaulted or injuries caused by Thai citizens ????

Add in the road accidents and they will get a pretty bill and the push for all foreigners to have medical insurance will be resurrected. 

22 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Had he fought back and got the better, I have no doubt some more WIN guys would have got involved to 'even things up'.....

Yeah they tend to fight like sissy's don't they? I always say any more than 1 on 1 is justification of deadly force to defend yourself.

I would have felt better had some mention been made that this aggressive WIN guy had lost his job and would be responsible for hospital costs of his victim along with compensation. But no mention, and I feel it is a 'keep your head down until it blows over' situation. I did not read of any reason for him to lose his temper so violently.

“ The charge may be upgraded if the medical report indicates that the injuries suffered by the Chilean are more serious.“

If no serious medical repairs, the fine is 500 baht - FYI

Found out when a drunk German decided to destroy my property on purpose and obstinately told me to go claim on my insurance.  Had a very big mouth until I decided it was worth 500 baht. 

Cops closed and eye and he coughed up. 

FYI - hindsight it was not worth it, he was almost hit by a car running away 

Attacking foreigners or customers has a long history in Thailand...especially in Pattaya where I have been living for over 20 years...So what's the surprise? Are people can or don't want to see the reality? This is just part of life, and also happen in other Countries of this "beautiful world". 

Probably part of the face-lifting of the new NEO Pattaya...

6 hours ago, morrobay said:

why are not all the related industries here demanding and speaking out for some control of things like this ?

Because they like it/want it/don't care about it?  They hate tourists and only want their money, and they hate the fact that they need it... maybe?

15 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

I still don't understand where they get the "well build " part from in this story . They said the assailant was well build 55555 in who's eyes , in the eyes of a midget ?? 

He had a lot of cash on him?

22 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Thais will leave you alone unless you bother them or do something they dislike. Booze makes us do dumb things.... I gave 100 baht to a WIN guy only last night for a short ride... biggish guy though. ????

That's why they are called WIN. :cheesy::cheesy::cheesy:

9 hours ago, morrobay said:

In a seaside resort that relies on tourism, why are not all the related industries here demanding and speaking out for some control of things like this ? And are these types of problems more so here than for example in : Cambodia, Vietnam, Mexico or Costa Rica ?

The lack of involvement is I think a big part of the problems that Pattaya. The countries you mention I am sure have similar problems but they probably get more involved in resolving the issues rather than talking but doing nothing more.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Leaver said:

The Youtube clip has 243 thumbs up, and 8 thumbs down. Judging by the comments, most of the viewers being Thai.

If that's a survey of the Thai population, I guess the vast majority of Thai's take great delight in seeing a foreigner beaten up here.  

Just FYI, you completely misread the significance of the "likes" on the video. They are liking the video, not the fact that the guy was beat up. Almost without exception, the comments in Thai express shock, shame, sympathy for the foreigner, and anger about the damage to Thailand's reputation.

2 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Just FYI, you completely misread the significance of the "likes" on the video. They are liking the video, not the fact that the guy was beat up. Almost without exception, the comments in Thai express shock, shame, sympathy for the foreigner, and anger about the damage to Thailand's reputation.

The clip has footage of a foreigner getting beaten up, and the "thumbs up" are for the video.  There is nothing else depicted on the video but violence towards the foreigner.

You don't know if the people commenting are the people who gave the "thumbs up."  For all you know, the people that gave the thumbs up didn't not comment.  

It's my understanding that "thumbs up" is for the content, not that fact there is simply a video clip posted.  

3 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The clip has footage of a foreigner getting beaten up, and the "thumbs up" are for the video.  There is nothing else depicted on the video but violence towards the foreigner.

You don't know if the people commenting are the people who gave the "thumbs up."  For all you know, the people that gave the thumbs up didn't not comment.  

It's my understanding that "thumbs up" is for the content, not that fact there is simply a video clip posted.  

I think just about anyone would agree the comments section is a much better indication of how Thai viewers reacted to the video. If you post a video on U-tube showing dramatic footage of a great white shark biting a champion surfer's leg off, and people "like" the video, do you think that means people "like" that the great white shark bit the surfer's leg off?

4 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

I think just about anyone would agree the comments section is a much better indication of how Thai viewers reacted to the video. If you post a video on U-tube showing dramatic footage of a great white shark biting a champion surfer's leg off, and people "like" the video, do you think that means people "like" that the great white shark bit the surfer's leg off?

We are not talking about a shark and a surfer, are we?

For all you know, the people who gave the "thumbs up" did not comment.  

Once again, the "thumbs up" is for the content within the video, not the fact a video was simply posted.  

Sometimes the anonymity of the internet represents the thoughts of a society.  

• Like 1

The basket of fruit is being given by the Thai police as a kind gesture which should be appreciated they are still prosecuting the thug  who did this. Will people stop Thai bashing, the case has not yet gone to court. It is the court not the police who determine the sentence

23 minutes ago, RobU said:

The basket of fruit is being given by the Thai police as a kind gesture which should be appreciated they are still prosecuting the thug  who did this. Will people stop Thai bashing, the case has not yet gone to court. It is the court not the police who determine the sentence

Another member said there is no court going on these days.

It was also stated if his injuries don't turn out to be serious, the punishment will only be 500 baht.

I don't know if those are true, but if it's true about the 500 baht, that's horrifying. Anyone seeing the video can see blows like that could potentially kill.

It's like robbing a bank and getting small change, you still get prosecuted for robbing a bank. 

28 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Another member said there is no court going on these days.

It was also stated if his injuries don't turn out to be serious, the punishment will only be 500 baht.

I don't know if those are true, but if it's true about the 500 baht, that's horrifying. Anyone seeing the video can see blows like that could potentially kill.

It's like robbing a bank and getting small change, you still get prosecuted for robbing a bank. 

I agree with you but the Police are restricted by the laws they enforce and the politicians who make them don't blame the messenger the police should still be praised not attacked

7 minutes ago, RobU said:

I agree with you but the Police are restricted by the laws they enforce and the politicians who make them don't blame the messenger the police should still be praised not attacked

Sounds like your focus is the police rather than the victim. Assuming there is a budget for such things, I think the city paying for his hospital bills would be much more on point than a gift basket. 

11 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sounds like your focus is the police rather than the victim. Assuming there is a budget for such things, I think the city paying for his hospital bills would be much more on point than a gift basket. 

I repeat the police are not responsible for the laws and protocols they are obliged to enact stop bashing them. The victim is being cared for and the police have done their best. The basket is probably not from any formal budget but a spontaneous gesture by the officers from their own pockets. You need to detach the ability and financial capability of politicians (The City) from that of the police who have no such budget

1 minute ago, RobU said:

I repeat the police are not responsible for the laws and protocols they are obliged to enact stop bashing them. The victim is being cared for and the police have done their best. The basket is probably not from any formal budget but a spontaneous gesture by the officers from their own pockets. You need to detach the ability and financial capability of politicians (The City) from that of the police who have no such budget

I have not bashed the police. Our little exchange has now concluded.