Pattaya: Motorcycle taxi man gives his excuses after Walking Street attack - he's detained, Chilean gets apology basket

webfact

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

Vietnam has proper metered taxis that actually do use the meter, and are cheap.  End result, no assaults and happy tourists.  Yes, rocket science for Thailand's tourism industry.  

Thailand has taxis prepared to bargain that also respond to phone apps where the price is quoted to you before the taxi even arrives and is ordered. Cheap as chips too. 

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Thailand has taxis prepared to bargain that also respond to phone apps where the price is quoted to you before the taxi even arrives and is ordered. Cheap as chips too. 

Hardly the same, is it?

Any reason why there are metered taxis all over Bangkok, yet, a short distance away, in the so called World Class tourists destination named Pattaya, the same doesn't exist?  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

Hardly the same, is it?

Any reason why there are metered taxis all over Bangkok, yet, a short distance away, in the so called World Class tourists destination named Pattaya, the same doesn't exist?  

It is convenient and takes one from A to B cheaply. 

Never found the taxis in Bangkok all that great, often a struggle to get them to use the meter, and a good percentage of them do not know where places are. They have even been known to dump people nowhere... had it happen to me. 

On 2/26/2021 at 8:35 AM, CharlieH said:

"Chonburi provincial deputy Pol Col Korawat Hanpradit said this was a serious incident that had damaged both the image of Pattaya and Thailand as a whole. 

He promised swift action and said that the victim would be getting a basket by way of apology. "

So a "serious incident" is resolved and concluded with a basket of fruit ? Well done that will send a nice clear message to others about what happens after a "serious incident" has occured in brutally beating someone. Pathetic response, that will undoubtedly discourage similar behaviour and make people feel safer whilst on holiday.....NOT

Just wonder how long the chilean national is staying if not long see this as another under the table job

On 3/1/2021 at 5:34 AM, jacko45k said:

It is convenient and takes one from A to B cheaply. 

Never found the taxis in Bangkok all that great, often a struggle to get them to use the meter, and a good percentage of them do not know where places are. They have even been known to dump people nowhere... had it happen to me. 

That must be pre Google Maps and GPS. 

I had one Bangkok taxi refuse to use the meter some years ago.  He drove off and didn't start the meter.  I told him to stop and I got out.  I had another taxi that did use the meter within 1 minute.    

11 hours ago, Leaver said:

I had one Bangkok taxi refuse to use the meter some years ago.  He drove off and didn't start the meter.  I told him to stop and I got out.  I had another taxi that did use the meter within 1 minute. 

My last BKK trip I used Skytrain and M/C Taxis.... the latter probably saved me a good deal of time over taxis but sure were scary.

On 3/6/2021 at 6:23 AM, jacko45k said:

My last BKK trip I used Skytrain and M/C Taxis.... the latter probably saved me a good deal of time over taxis but sure were scary.

When was the last time you hired a taxi in Bangkok?

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

When was the last time you hired a taxi in Bangkok?

I bet it was a year.... as said the Skytrain  and Metro get me to most places I want to go, a WIN for the bit between. A prior bad experience just makes me anti... plus the brother-in-law is a Bangkok taxi driver and he is a right piece of work.