What wire to run for 250 meters

canuckamuck

We want to turn a field shed into a temporary living space for field workers. It's about 200 meters as the crow flies, but there is a hill in the middle, so say 250.

Anyhow they only want electric light (too many ghosts over there) and phone charging, no kettles or power tools, so we can go fairly light and put a breaker at the supply end if they hook up something too big.

Just wondering what gauge of wire would work. This is only for occasional use.

It sounds like something you don't want to put a lot of money into since it's temporary.  But proper cable even for small power usage along with poles to support can get expensive and perhaps end up disappearing in the night.

I don't know anything about this unit but maybe an alternative?

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/52500mah-power-station-solar-generator-supply-200w-inverter-energy-storage-ups-i1801722952-s5342318979.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.3.27461a14wqGXSH&search=1&freeshipping=1

• Like 1

Solar lights for inside the shed and solar lights for outside the shed are readily available at Global House or Lazada. I'll second Bankruatsteve and suggest the OP look into such solar units on Lazada. The seal on some attractive solar ceiling lights I installed in a village carport was not great, so I had to modify the seal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, canuckamuck said:

Thanks guys, I think I will have a good look at some solar options, it makes sense for the long term.

Do compare the price of running a cable (and poles of course) with going solar. It may still be competetive.

• Like 1

Solar could be a good solution, if it really is just lights and phone charging for a couple of guys.

Trouble is, someone will bring a TV and suddenly the solar isn't big enough (you're probably looking at a 300W panel, 30A charge controller, 300W inverter and 150Ah + battery) to run a TV.

Even a 250m run of 2.5mm2 cable will easily support a telly.

Happy workers are effective workers ???? 

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Trouble is, someone will bring a TV and suddenly the solar isn't big enough (you're probably looking at a 300W panel, 30A charge controller, 300W inverter and 150Ah + battery) to run a TV.

You really think you need that much?  Most TVs seem to be in the 80-120W range in reasonable sizes.  Aside from the battery I think you could cut everything in half and be safe.  I haven’t gotten my Kill-A-Watt out in a while though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tjo o tjim said:

You really think you need that much?  Most TVs seem to be in the 80-120W range in reasonable sizes.  Aside from the battery I think you could cut everything in half and be safe.  I haven’t gotten my Kill-A-Watt out in a while though.

Depends how sunny it is and how long the soaps go on for.

At 120W a 300W panel would generate enough to run the TV for about 8 hours, on average.

But if you retain the same battery you're only going to save about 1k Baht using a smaller panel.

Given it's temporary, the cheapest option would likely be the best. Hard to believe there wont be at least a kettle going at some point, and if one of the workers has a wife or kid that stays home you can forget about charging any batteries...

• Like 1