Is a smart phone with XXX app needed for internal flights?

zzzzz

In Suvarnabhumi they had QR codes in queue to the document and security check, and passengers weren't allowed to pass the counter without that app. But that was a couple of months back. It was some AOT app. Not sure if that's still the case as I haven't been to airport for a while now.

Side note: 7 eleven sells smartphones below 1000 baht with True SIM card.

Edited by tomazbodner
  • Haha 1

In my opinion, I should not think so because as you check in for your boarding pass, all relevant details become known for the passenger boarding manifest, a copy of which, along with other flight details, is handed to the purser/senior cabin crew just before the doors are closed. I suggest you check with your airline. There must be passengers who do not own a smartphone (like myself).

Upon my return in July I had to show I’d downloaded and registered to the Immigration eService App... 

... that requirement probably disappeared fairly quickly, I haven’t heard much about that. 

Now we are supposed to download the 'Thailand Plus’ app.

I can’t see someone being turned away because they didn’t have a smart phone.

BUT, I wouldn’t want to make all the plans to return and leave that open to chance or someone along the way being a jobsworth and making decision which could have such a significant impact.

Recommendation: IF you are travelling to Thailand and don’t have a smart phone, just get a cheap $50 smartphone and ensure your bases are covered. 

borrowed a extra smart phone from a friend and put the mor channa app on it

dont want take the chance of being refused boarding

I have zero need for a smart phone and have no idea about QR codes and such>  

Edited by zzzzz

Quite confusing information in this thread.

For a domestic flight "Thailand Plus" makes no sense!

"Thailand Plus" is for the happy few who currently arrive from abroad.

I haven't looked into the details, but when I see "Enter COE" this should be more than obvious!

The "Thaichana" app is here for almost a year.

It's the app to scan the QR code of locations/sites that you visit.

(and there is nothing about a picture of me?? It's bound to my phone number which is registered to my name as legally required)

So far all places seem to have paper logbooks alternatively.

Still it's highly recommend to have a smartphone and registered SIM when travelling and moving in the country (and being online for duration of travel).

For a flight to Samui an additional app/QR code procedure was necessary (Samui health pass).

I wonder what would have happened without having a smartphone.

I don't know (can't remember) whether Phuket or Chiang Mai still have additional requirements for domestic travellers.

I doubt it (both "green" now).

On 2/26/2021 at 10:23 AM, zzzzz said:

what app?

Please

I am installing thailand plus BUT it ask for a reference id and coe code:

I live here>>> so what do i enter??

Forgot to quote you.

See above, forget "Thailand Plus".

On 2/26/2021 at 10:23 AM, zzzzz said:

what app?

Please

You don't need a phone.

I flew up to CM from BKK in Dec and although I have a smartphone it is voice only sim. They just gave me a form to fill in.

It was a bit the same when I flew to Krabbi in Sept. There the woman on the exit gate thought I was doing it wrong. After about 5 minutes messing with my phone she realised there was no internet and sent me to another desk to fill in the form.

• Thanks 1

On 2/26/2021 at 6:23 AM, zzzzz said:

what app?

Please

You don’t...  its only for people entering the country at this stage. 

Thailand Plus looks like it will be a good ‘Contact Tracing’ app which registers people who’ve recently entered Thailand via their CoE Codie and Reference ID (when applying for CoE). 

The Thai government doesn’t seem to think it necessary to use this contact tracing with anyone else, just the few who have arrived and quarantined recently. 

The issue with any of these contact tracing apps in Thailand is that no one will care to use them because apathy seeps into everything... it will be just too much effort to push this to everyone, thus only those coming in will set it up, then delete it if they want after quarantine. 

The same issue of it being difficult to get contact tracing off the ground exists in many countries but for different reason than apathy; i.e. the entitlement and the dummy spit of those who believe their rights are being infringed upon...