6 million British tourists may travel to Thailand in 2021: Survey

webfact

2 hours ago, donnacha said:

It is always the case that more people consider traveling somewhere than actually end up going. It should not be surprising that 10% of the population might, in the middle of a lockdown, and after a miserable year, fancy the idea of an exotic holiday. No one, not even TAT, is suggesting they everyone considering it will actually come, they do use the word "may" in their headline.

The surprising thing about many of the responses here, and in similar threads, is that so few people seem to be able to see what is already happening and to, based on that, extrapolate ahead a few months. Many of you seem convinced that the current restrictions will continue for the entire year.

By the end of February, the most vulnerable third of the UK population will have received at least their first shot, many of those will have also received their second shot. Levels of infection are already dropping. The UK in April will be a very different story. It isn't just talk, Britain is making astonishing progress, while neighboring countries flounder in Third World levels of bureaucracy and incompetence, you should be proud of that remarkable achievement.

TAT have no credibility but, in this case, when they say "within 2021" they are clearly talking about the second half of the year.

Boris has now said that a vaccine passport will be introduced, at the very least for international travel. Prayut, too, has started making the necessary noises to prepare the public for the re-opening of Thailand to mass vaccinated tourism, probably starting with Israel, who have already vaccinated 90% of their population, in April.

Many of you here seem oblivious to just how much demand has built up in the UK for getting back out into the world. People who usually have four or five breaks per year now want to go all out, they want to embrace the world with something bigger and more memorable than Marbella or Provence.

There is plenty of money around. Some people lost jobs, but the majority kept getting paid. Trapped at home, and unable to go out to their usual restaurants and pubs, most people saved quite a bit. People with online businesses have made more money than ever.

So, this summer, when most of the UK population have been innoculated, and the level of infection is back below 0.1%, Thailand will open their doors to UK tourists, swapping the current quarantine, testing, and special insurance requirements for, instead, a simple vaccine passport requirement.

At that point, the rush to get the Hell out of the UK and to Thailand will break all the records. It certainly won't be six million people but it would not at all surprise me if, in just the second half of this year, they came close to the record of one million UK visitors.

Yes, but what you're not mentioning is that Thailand won't be vaccinated until 2022. Do you think governments will allow people to travel to unvaccinated countries without quarantine back in their home countries? In my mind, Thailand will be classed as a high risk country.

• Like 2

RE - A survey carried out by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) London office has suggested that up to 6 million British tourists want to travel to Thailand in 2021.

* Hmm, It might be a slightly difference between those who "want" and those who actually will do ... ????

Edited by ttrd
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Amazing absolutely amazing, where on earth do they find these clowns?

6 million my a++e, nobody in the UK got any money to spend flying to Thailand.

I beg to differ Colin. Many have saved over the past year with the government suggesting this amount to £5Billion? If such is the case I would estimate most will splurge on home improvements and new furnishings. However, I would agree some may spend on holidays if and when the present travel restrictions are lifted, possibly in June. As to that figure being in the millions, as per usual TAT are farting out their rear ends again.

3 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

Hahaha - That would indicate that 3095 people planned to travel abroad (no mention of Thailand). How the hell do they arrive at a figure of 6 million Brits holidaying in Thailand this year? Please can I have some of what these clowns have been smoking?

They smoke Netanyahu- weed, Israel is implementing compulsory green passports if you dont get vaccinated you dont get one, and it you dont have one you can not go to work, visit a mall or market, kids can not go to school without a vaccination -green Passport.

Europe seems to be turning this way, however I don't like your chances getting a passport on an Astra Zeneca dose, it seems they are all freaking out about this vaccine now with thousands refusing it in England and Germany.

South Africa suspended it.

However the Russian vaccine is receiving glowing reports.

Another problem is Netenyahu' is offering vaccine supplies to other countries in exchange for favor's, the whole vaccine program  is a mess.

They are reporting on several news Agencies that there is a supply build up of Astra Vaccine, as people are well shy off it.

So if the Brits have been vaccinated with Astra I dont like their chances of 6 mill to go to LOS by Xmas.

Another bad thing for Astra is they don't recommend it for people over 65 so all you golden oldy expats better line up for another variant- including myself.

• Like 1

"A survey carried out by the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) London office has suggested that up to 6 million British tourists want to travel to Thailand in 2021."

The key word here is "want". The survey respondents would likely also want a free Range Rover, an end to the pandemic and world peace, if asked. None of which is likely to happen in 2021.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

62 percent of those surveyed said they want to spend the European winter months in 2021 and 2022 in Thailand, providing there are no restrictions such as quarantine in place.

I'm sure they do, most of them not only can't afford it but they need to work.

Wanting to do something and being able / capable of doing it are very different and even if they can afford it - which fraction of a percentage actually go ahead and do it.

In my experience the difference between wanting to do something and actually doing it is massive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, colinneil said:

Amazing absolutely amazing, where on earth do they find these clowns?

6 million my a++e, nobody in the UK got any money to spend flying to Thailand.

100% right .. They will be lucky to get 6000 and that will depend on a stopover before heading to Cambodia or Vietnam .. The Thai bubble has burst and the high prices doesn’t cut ice anymore

5 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

I swear they take their PR lessons direct from Baghdad Bob (the former Iraqi Minister of Information who made a series of really stupid comments during the last Gulf War, including one where he claimed that no American forces had entered Baghdad when in fact they were fighting only a couple hundred meter away from where he was at the time in the heart of the city.)

'Baghdad Bob' I don't remember that name. I always heard to referred to as 'Comical Ali', a play on words of the more sinster Chemical Ali.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

As for where in Thailand they want to visit, the destinations of choice were: Phuket, Krabi and Khao Lak, Koh Samui, Koh Pha-ngan, Koh Tao, Bangkok and Hua Hin.

Now see what happens when you turn Pattaya into a posh family resort... No takers ! lol