Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Apartments and personal internet


Recommended Posts

Hi. I haven’t had my own internet connection in about 12 years and don’t know how internet connections work nowadays.

i prefer to live in apartments and I want to get the best internet connection I can get for gaming in Khon Kaen.

Do I have to rent an apartment that has a LAN socket in the wall already or can the internet provider connect it in a different way?

thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Mrshorthair said:

Hi. I haven’t had my own internet connection in about 12 years and don’t know how internet connections work nowadays.

i prefer to live in apartments and I want to get the best internet connection I can get for gaming in Khon Kaen.

Do I have to rent an apartment that has a LAN socket in the wall already or can the internet provider connect it in a different way?

thanks

Many buildings offer free wireless Internet. Make inquiries, then bring your mobile device, and do a speed test.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not looking for WiFi or a mobile connection.

i want a wired connection to my pc. Preferably a Fibre connection.

what I’m asking is it only possible to get a wired connection to my room if it does already have a plug for a Ethernet cable in a wall socket already?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Chance are you, or the landlord, will have to enter into a contract with an ISP, which will then install the necessary connection (fiber) and equipment (modem/router). 

 

You need to ask landlords, friends, neighbors, locals what they use. Check with ISPs, see if they offer service, and if you can get a contract.

 

You may have challenges getting an account in your own name? Some report success, others have issues.

 

TOT, 3BB, AIS Fibre, maybe True are all potential providers.

 

There is no way to know what any neighborhhood, building or apartment might have just by looking at a socket on a wall. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can almost always get your own connection in a condo...but apartment buildings are a different matter...must be wired for fiber to begin with which would be unusual.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • metisdead changed the title to Apartments and personal internet
14 hours ago, Mrshorthair said:

I’m not looking for WiFi or a mobile connection.

i want a wired connection to my pc. Preferably a Fibre connection.

what I’m asking is it only possible to get a wired connection to my room if it does already have a plug for a Ethernet cable in a wall socket already?

Most condos not have Fibre 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Mrshorthair said:

I’m not looking for WiFi or a mobile connection.

i want a wired connection to my pc. Preferably a Fibre connection.

You can get wireless (mobile) 5G connection, which is quite fast. It's a separate unit that will work both with a LAN-cable and Wifi. I use an AIS-unit like that as backbone for my fiber (mine is only 4G is fairly Okay). Another benefit is, that you can bring it with you to wherever you stay in Thailand...🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Rent a condo, then you can get your own internet connection.

 

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

You can get wireless (mobile) 5G connection, which is quite fast. It's a separate unit that will work both with a LAN-cable and Wifi. I use an AIS-unit like that as backbone for my fiber (mine is only 4G is fairly Okay). Another benefit is, that you can bring it with you to wherever you stay in Thailand...🙂

5G is hardly available anywhere, and he clearly said that he doesn't want a wireless connection.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, jackdd said:

Rent a condo, then you can get your own internet connection.

 

5G is hardly available anywhere, and he clearly said that he doesn't want a wireless connection.

3bb have been supplying 5G to me via fiber cable for about 12 months. However that is to my house, not an apartment or condo. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cauldlad said:

3bb have been supplying 5G to me via fiber cable for about 12 months.

 

Uhm, that's 5 GHz WiFi. Provided by your 3BB router. 5 GHz provides higher speeds over a smaller area. That router also offers 2.4 GHz WiFi. Not all devices support 5 GHz.

 

It is not Fifth Generation mobile data.

 

Forgetting a bit about local intereference by the WiFi networks of your neighbors, WiFi from your own router should be sufficient for most applications. But all ISP routes (newer ones) have four GbE (1000 mbits/sec) wired ports.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...