Leading doctor urges caution in opening Thailand’s borders - even to vaccinated tourists

webfact

12 minutes ago, EricTh said:

What is he talking about? The border is already open!

How did this German tourist get into Thailand recently in the first place when he doesn't have a job, a wife etc in Thailand?

I think he means opening the borders to vaccinated travellers, without any quarantine  requirements.  Tourists with a COE and confirmed ASQ have been allowed in for a while now.

Edited by brewsterbudgen
  • Like 2

Yes, he's quite right.  Really, testing negative in a 14 day period is the only safe way.  Covid 19 vaccines primarily prevent serious illness.

Only when the majority of people in Thailand have been vaccinated can international tourism be considered.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well, I had my vaccine today, so hopefully there will be more evidence about reduced transmission by vaccinated people soon. I did see one study that said transmission was reduced by two thirds. This was 3 weeks ago. 

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/oxford-vaccine-may-have-67-effect-on-transmission-and-protection-remains-for-three-month-jab-interval-12206734

• Like 1

Most likely borders will not open until most are vaccinated.  Now this can easily change, remember that the understanding of the pandemic is changing day by day.  There are indications that it may be reduced.  

The ball dropper is Thailand hardly even tried to get vaccines when this all started happening.   They are way back in the line now.  

2022?  For sure.  But that can easily change to earlier if they can figure this out.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Exactly.  The overwhelming majority of people who get infected are either asymptomatic or have mild symptoms.  But still they think it's necessary to decimate the economy and small businesses.  At least Thailand hasn't gone the way of the UK/USA.

As a 78 year-old, understandably perhaps, I beg to disagree.

• Like 1

What is the point of spending sooooo much money on developing the vaccine and getting it if the science behind it is not trusted? Total waste! Seems like a good excuse to keep westerners out and boots on locals throats.

Edited by onthedarkside
trolling / off topic comment removed
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

keep it closed. I don't want anyone coming here ever again. 

But what YOU want doesn't matter.

What does matter is what the Thai medical practioners want and what the government ( if it can ever make up its muddled mind) wants.

What we farangs want comes after what soi dogs want.

• Like 2