When inverters go wrong

I have been off grid for quite a few years now and suffered a few relatively minor problems of the learning curve variety. However, a couple of months ago I had total failure of my Sweetpower 8kW low frequency inverter. It just stopped. It was a most unspectacular event. All power ceased. Batteries were fine as was the solar input and charge controllers. Probable failure was the low voltage control electronics. So I contacted the supplier in China who helpfully informed me that the model I had was discontinued years ago and there were no spares available. There was, however, a nice shiny new model I could buy for rather more money than the old one cost. So I had a look around to see what else was out there. There was plenty to choose from at all sorts of prices and with all sorts of added features but all I wanted was a "simple" inverter and nothing else. Whilst looking at Alibaba I stumbled across some power inverter circuit modules which were in the region of 4,000 Baht each which is a whole load cheaper than a complete inverter. Coupling one of these to a transformer output and a 48v battery input would give the user a 10 kW inverter so I went for it. I chose a unit which could physically fit into the old inverter box and it's been working a treat for a few months now. It's actually more efficient than the previous model. 

During the course of this upgrade I changed the fans and their control circuits which are now also running quieter and less frequently. So far it's all a big plus.

• Like 2

I was lucky in the early days of the car-port when one of the micro-inverters went pop.

The manufacturer helped diagnose the issue and sent spare components (FETs and a fuse) which sorted the beast. The units have been sat in the cupboard for some time now as I've moved to a bigger single inverter.

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My 600w Suoer GTI stopped working 2 months back. Completely dead, no LEDs, no LCD.

Unplugged every wire, plugged everything back together, and it's been working perfectly ever since.

If you couldn't fix it, how available are spares and circuit information?

Did you buy from a Thai distributor with masses of after sales support?