Three killed, eight injured after horrific accident involving pick up truck and van in Korat

snoop1130

Three killed, eight injured after horrific accident involving pick up truck and van in Korat

dfdg.jpg

Image: Thairath

Three people were killed and eight others injured when a minivan and pick up truck collided at an intersection in Nakhon Ratchasima in the early hours of Friday morning.

The accident took place around midnight at ChokChai Det Udom Road in Nong Bunmak district when a pick up truck cut in front of the minivan which was taking eight passengers, including the driver, to Bangkok from Sisaket.

The pick up truck was hit with such force that the three people inside - the driver and two passengers - were thrown from the vehicle and died at the scene.

The eight people in the minivan were all seriously injured, with some needing to be cut from the vehicle before being rushed to hospital.

Thairath reported the intersection is known as an accident blackspot, with a lack of road lighting making driving conditions dangerous.

Traffic lights had been installed to try and improve safety at the intersection. However, the traffic lights were only set  to flash orange, and had not been working as intended.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-02-26

• Sad 1

The traffic lights have been there for around four weeks and still flashing yellow today, of course two of the poles are almost out of the ground and listing at a 45 degree angle. This three way intersection    ( Hwy 24 ) has "NO U TURN" signs covering it but TiT.

RIP and a speedy recovery to the injured.

Edited by sherwood

42 minutes ago, sherwood said:

The traffic lights have been there for around four weeks and still flashing yellow today, of course two of the poles are almost out of the ground and listing at a 45 degree angle. This three way intersection    ( Hwy 24 ) has "NO U TURN" signs covering it but TiT.

RIP and a speedy recovery to the injured.

Are these normal, timed traffic lights in the daytime that revert to flashing amber/red overnight? If so, these are supposed to have amber flashing in the direction of the main traffic (normally have right of way) with red flashing in the direction of traffic with a lower priority (normally give way)? If these are just 4-way flashing amber, they just made an already known accident black spot even more dangerous.

32 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Are these normal, timed traffic lights in the daytime that revert to flashing amber/red overnight? If so, these are supposed to have amber flashing in the direction of the main traffic (normally have right of way) with red flashing in the direction of traffic with a lower priority (normally give way)? If these are just 4-way flashing amber, they just made an already known accident black spot even more dangerous.

No. Just another half fulfilled and non-completed project. The lights have been in place for at least four weeks and just flash yellow. The system is there but not completed.

There is a Cassava Mill nearby and the TakTaks, slow moving, overloaded single cylinder trucks use this intersection regularly for U turns and also to drive on the wrong side of the road. Nightmare.

Add a well used rural road to the Highway equation and that is where the black spot comes into effect let alone Van drivers and Pickups meeting at midnight before a National holiday.

I use this section of highway every second day and cringe every time I approach this intersection.

Never mind, sure the boys will fix the poles and the syncing of the the traffic lights soon,  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sherwood said:

No. Just another half fulfilled and non-completed project. The lights have been in place for at least four weeks and just flash yellow. The system is there but not completed.

There is a Cassava Mill nearby and the TakTaks, slow moving, overloaded single cylinder trucks use this intersection regularly for U turns and also to drive on the wrong side of the road. Nightmare.

Add a well used rural road to the Highway equation and that is where the black spot comes into effect let alone Van drivers and Pickups meeting at midnight before a National holiday.

I use this section of highway every second day and cringe every time I approach this intersection.

Never mind, sure the boys will fix the poles and the syncing of the the traffic lights soon,  

Your description is typical throughout Thailand's roads . A case of where the new world meets the old i.e. farmers driving unlit tractors ( probably uninsured ) on high speed highways and often in the outside lane for a mile or so to turn right .Often no warning of road works until you are right on top of them and often poorly lit . It is one of the reasons that I do not like to drive at night in Thailand but not only farmers at fault , every day modern vehicles both private and commercial being unlit ( especially in the fast lane ) , maneuvering without signaling , heavy trucks occupying the outside lane ( cos they have already broken the inside lane road surface because of being overloaded ) and the list goes on and on . Plus of course no highway police patrols  . Driving infringements bring minimal penalties , thus no deterrent . But TIT and year after year nothing improves road safety wise . 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Traffic lights had been installed to try and improve safety at the intersection. However, the traffic lights were only set  to flash orange, and had not been working as intended.

Safe trusted Thailand.

19 minutes ago, superal said:

Your description is typical throughout Thailand's roads . A case of where the new world meets the old i.e. farmers driving unlit tractors ( probably uninsured ) on high speed highways and often in the outside lane for a mile or so to turn right .Often no warning of road works until you are right on top of them and often poorly lit . It is one of the reasons that I do not like to drive at night in Thailand but not only farmers at fault , every day modern vehicles both private and commercial being unlit ( especially in the fast lane ) , maneuvering without signaling , heavy trucks occupying the outside lane ( cos they have already broken the inside lane road surface because of being overloaded ) and the list goes on and on . Plus of course no highway police patrols  . Driving infringements bring minimal penalties , thus no deterrent . But TIT and year after year nothing improves road safety wise . 

Exactly, what you say, and let me tell you, I drive now for  more than 20 years in LOS, nearly nothing is changed during that time, only more, and more stupid drivers.

• Like 1