I left Britain to escape toxic press, Prince Harry says

snoop1130

I left Britain to escape toxic press, Prince Harry says

By Michael Holden

2021-02-26T090639Z_1_LYNXMPEH1P0I5_RTROPTP_4_BRITAIN-ROYALS-HARRY.JPG

FILE PHOTO: FILE PHOTO: Britain’s Prince Harry gestures next to his wife Meghan as they ride a horse-drawn carriage after their wedding ceremony at St George’s Chapel in Windsor Castle in Windsor, Britain, May 19, 2018. REUTERS/Damir Sagolj/File Photo/File Photo

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's Prince Harry has said he stepped back from his royal duties because the "toxic" British press had been destroying his mental health, adding he had not walked away from public service.

Last week, Buckingham Palace announced that Queen Elizabeth's grandson and his American wife Meghan had made a final split with the royal family, and would not be returning as working members and would lose their patronages.

Harry, 36, and Meghan, 39, sent shockwaves through the monarchy in January 2020 when they announced their intention to step back from royal duties and embark on a new life across the Atlantic.

"It was never walking away. It was stepping back rather than stepping down, there was a really difficult environment as I think a lot of people saw," Harry said in an interview with James Corden, host of the "Late Late Show" in the United States.

"We all know what the British press could be like, and it was destroying my mental health, I was like this is toxic. So I did what any husband and what any father would do is like, I need to get my family out of here."

Before they moved to California, the couple had complained about the British tabloids' treatment of Meghan, whose father is white and mother is African-American, some of which they said amounted to bullying or racism.

Earlier this month, Meghan successfully sued one tabloid for breaching her privacy by printing extracts of a letter she wrote to her father while last month Harry won a libel case against the same paper over a story which said he had turned his back on the military.

Critics of the couple, who announced this month they were expecting their second child, have said they are keen for publicity but only on their own terms. An in-depth interview they have given to U.S. chat show host Oprah Winfrey is due to be aired on March 7.

There was also disapproval of Harry and Meghan's response to last week's split when they said they were committed to a life of service. Some commentators contrasted their life with the duty shown by the 94-year-old queen during her 69-year reign.

DECISIONS 'ON THE OTHER SIDE'

"And as far as I'm concerned whatever decisions are made on that side, I will never walk away," said Harry, who commentators have said was unhappy with losing his treasured royal patronages, particularly those connected to the military in which he served for 10 years.

"But my life is public service so wherever I am in the world it's going to be the same thing."

During his interview, carried out on a tour of Los Angeles, Harry told Corden that Netflix's hit series "The Crown", a fictional account of the life of the queen and her family, was "loosely based on the truth".

"It gives you a rough idea about what that lifestyle, what the pressures of putting duty and service above family and everything else, what can come from that," he said.

"I'm way more comfortable with the Crown than I am seeing the stories written about my family or my wife, or myself, because ... that is obviously fiction, take it how you will, but this is being reported on as facts because you're supposedly news."

Harry also revealed his one-year-old son Archie's first word was "crocodile" and said the queen had sent him a waffle maker as a Christmas present.

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-02-26

Just now, Bluespunk said:

Oh you poor dear. 

Too true but the good news is the UK have got rid of some toxins too. No doubt coming soon on YouTube "how my wife and I made billions out of gullible Americans telling our sob stories"

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Excel said:

Too true but the good news is the UK have got rid of some toxins too. No doubt coming soon on YouTube "how my wife and I made billions out of gullible Americans telling our sob stories"

don't appear to be the only ones gullible. Heard they rake in millions on tourist interest, I would think that interest is in decline..

ROYAL FAMILY

The Royal Family Is Costing UK Taxpayers More Than Ever

Jan 9, 2020

Taxpayers in the United Kingdom are paying more money than ever for the Royal Family. The latest Sovereign Grant accounts show that the monarchy cost £67 million ($86 million) in 2018-19 - a 41 percent increase on the previous financial year. One interesting aspect of the accounts is that Frogmore Cottage cost £2.4 million of public money to renovate. The official residence of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle, the cottage was given to the couple as a gift by the Queen.

In a nutshell, the complicated system of funding the monarchy works when the UK government makes a payment called the Sovereign Grant to the Royal Household every year. Its value is determined by how uch money the Crown Estate real estate portfolio has brought in. That total added up to £82 million this year with a sizeable chunk of that money added to cover renovation work at Buckingham Palace. Of that total, the monarchy spent £67 million on official duties including travel as well as other costs such as staff and property maintenance. Maintenance and the renovation of Buckingham Palace are the key reasons the total is so high this year.

Buckingham Palace's electrical, heating and plumbing systems all date from the 1950s and are in urgent need of replacement. As part of 10-year renovation plan, wiring and pipework will be replaced while asbestos will be removed from the building. New elevators will also be installed to assist disabled visitors. The complexity and duration of the work will ensure that the next financial year will also be expensive for taxpayers with the Sovereign Grant expected to rise to £85.7 million

Niall McCarthy
Niall McCarthy
Data Journalist
[email protected]+49 (40) 284 841 562

Infographic: The Royal Family Is Costing UK Taxpayers More Than Ever | Statista

4 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Great plan Harry, because in the modern world of social media, a change of address from London to LA and a multi million dollar Netflix deal combined with an Oprah interview is guaranteed to give you the privacy you crave.

I have no issue with him dumping his family, military titles and responsibilities for coin and poonanny but drop the victimisation story Bro.

Even his Uncle Andrew claims he is victimised so its happy families

2 hours ago, mr mr said:

yet it seems daily you are in the news saying something outrageous or stupid. what a nunce. 

Seems to run in the family .?

Lets , have  DNA , tests .  Proof positive ..

No chance ..

38 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Great plan Harry, because in the modern world of social media, a change of address from London to LA and a multi million dollar Netflix deal combined with an Oprah interview is guaranteed to give you the privacy you crave.

I have no issue with him dumping his family, military titles and responsibilities for coin and poonanny but drop the victimisation story Bro.

I,d give his marriage of convenience( for her) 3 years,its another prince andrew and fergie, seems she thought she could march into the institute of the royal  family ( not that i,ve got much respect for them) and do exactly as she wanted.however.harry did deserve his military awards earnt by serving his country.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, kingdong said:

I,d give his marriage of convenience( for her) 3 years,its another prince andrew and fergie, seems she thought she could march into the institute of the royal  family ( not that i,ve got much respect for them) and do exactly as she wanted.however.harry did deserve his military awards earnt by serving his country.

Yep he's just a rung on the social ladder.

She'll outgrow him within 5 years and within 10 she'll be running for presidency just like Hilary did and all the useful lefty woke idiots will lap it up.????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Now he's middle aged and stupid but still embarrassing himself in front of the world. 

Given your predilection for Sturgeon and Scottish nationalism I'm not surprised Harry's uniform doesn't bother you too much ????.

Hes middle aged?

Strongly suspect he has now matured enough that he no longer wishes to be part of little Britain. Especially one where middle aged men do appear to be happy embarrassing themselves in front of the world.

Brexit: Polite protests marred by Nazi salutes | News | The Times

• Confused 2

11 hours ago, Credo said:

I pretty much agree.  I find it very refreshing to see a Royal making his family the first priority.   I totally don't understand the hate.   It's not like he left the Monarchy in a lurch.  Is there a shortage of Royals?  Is there something he did as a Royal that no one else can do?   

He's served his country, he's served his Queen and now he is doing what many good soldiers do, he is taking care of his family.   

Welcome to the US.  Many are happy to have you.

well said

• Like 2